• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 17, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt,
+1 on what porter said... Line of sight... only use a little soda, it'll cut your amps down... I used bed frames for the anodes... free on the side of the road....

You may want to dip them in electrolysis first... As seen in these photos from the 149, the process strip off 99% of the factory paint... kill 2 deeres with one cub...
153303.jpg

153304.jpg

153305.jpg

153306.jpg

More progress on my Original: K4K. I installed the battery last night. I could NOT find where I stashed the battery hold down bolts (I have at least 3 sets around here somewhere????) so I picked up some from an auto parts store. They are generic 8" long straight battery tie down "J bolts". I knew I would have to cut them to length but I also ended up having to bend them to fit. There was not enough room beside the battery to hook them into the battery box from the outside so I had to hook them from the inside. This made them too close together to properly fit into the spacing on the battery clamp bracket. So I bent them to fit. Sure would have been easier to just install the proper original <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> battery tie down bolts... Anyway here are the results. I also installed a set of those green and red felt pads to keep the terminals clean. I've used these in the past and they really do work, at least they have for me.

153308.jpg

153309.jpg

153310.jpg

We have lights!

153311.jpg

153312.jpg

There's 12v at the coil when I turn the ignition switch on, the starter turns over, but I don't have any gas left, I used up the last I had on hand in Killer to mow the lawn on Saturday. I wasn't expecting it to start as the tank has been bone dry for a few years and there's no gas in the sediment bowl or carb. I'll get some gas in a day or two, or maybe next week to see if it'll start. I'll let the suspense build for a while.
happy.gif

Finally, I can now see all of Kraig's pictures in his post - I had to......(gulp)....go back to IE from Firefox.
shhh.gif

Alright, I said that I would get some pics of the 102 when it was done, well its almost done. I've still got to paint the foot rests black, new lug bolts for the rear wheels and im sure there will be other things. Thanks for this great site and helping keep these lil workhorses still going strong!!

153318.jpg

153319.jpg

Richard, beautiful 102! For the foot rests, head to your local Ace Hardware store (provided you have one nearby) and pick up a rattle can of Ace Brand Black Epoxy Appliance paint. It should provide a nice durable finish. The look is somewhere between semi gloss and gloss.

Willis H. Good call. don't forget pictures of your new Cub Cadet.

Dennis F. Thank you for the "Heads Up" with the surgery. The doctor that did the electric shock/nerve testing had to keep turning the machine way up to get any reaction. surgery is July 26th with around 3 1/2 months off work. Fancy and I won't be dong much Cub Stuff after the 26th for awhle.

Charlie P. Those are great looking Cubs that Lucy's Dad has. As Kraig stated, "An early HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO LUCY'S DAD !!!

Kraig M. Your Original is looking sweet!!!!
ihrotate.gif

Richard P. Same way with your 102!!! Both Cubbies are looking great.
ihrotate.gif

( I almost said ... Both Cubbies are works of art. Then I remembered that Art A. didn't work on them.)
biggrin.gif

Kraig, I remember a while back when I posted some pics you told me about the paint, well I do have it and I should have painted them before I put in the steering box but I should get it done this weekend-Rich

Kraig-
Great job on K4K, but what's up with this comment?

"I'll get some gas in a day or two, or maybe next week to see if it'll start."

NEXT WEEK?!?!?!

How can you have the patience to wait that long? I'd be clawing at the walls to hear that thing run..
dizzy.gif

Marlin-
biggrin.gif

Art, that comment was posted for you. I'll likely head to town today after work and get some gas. I must admit, last night after I got the battery installed I rolled it outside, climbed on board, put it in first gear and cranked the starter for a few moments. Then I tried it in each gear as a test.
Shift.gif
roflol.gif

Incredible tractors!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They never looked that good when they were new did they?!

I have one of those first time I been there stupid questions. Should my pto spins like it is engaged when it isn't and there isn't a belt on it to offer any resistance? I hope that made sense.

Finally got the 129 straightened out. It helps if you put the generator wire on the correct side of the starter relay.

Boy did I get an eye opener the other day when I bought new blades (it has been a while since I had to buy any) for the mower deck under my 104. The outer blades that used to sold as a "PAIR" are now sold individually and I paid for each what I used buy the "PAIR" for. Oh how I long for the good ole days.
explotar2jr.gif

Kraig

It is great to see K4K coming around! Puts my uglicubs to shame.

Craig

Richard, don't disengage the PTO without a belt on for drag. it can and will spin, leave it that way long enough and wear out the button.

Craig, thanks! Funny that it started out as one of your "uglicubs".

Photo below from Saturday, February 2, 2002:

153321.jpg

Tom,
What did those blades set you back in cub funds?
I just ordered a set and price is pending till they come in . dealer said they may be one of of three possibility's for a 38-A deck.

Three different prices, and part numbers He said.????? Had to have a deposit to order.
uhoh.gif

<font size="+1"><font color="ff0000">Terry Reed !!
I had that problem with Firefox too, only on one forum.

I forget what was done to resolve it, but was a simple adjustment now I use only Firefox on all forums. try computer Q/A.</font></font>

Dave Ross, Thank you. I'll keep it engaged.

I thought I'd take a break and relax. So for grins I pulled the head on a K241 that was smoking pretty good. The three head bolts under the tank saddle were all but finger tight. Only two of them had what felt like anything close to a good torque.

This piston looks pretty good except where carbon build up gouged out a piece. The head is junk as you see. I just felt like sharing and hopefully will scare some people into carbonizing their top ends.

153323.jpg

153324.jpg

153325.jpg

Kraig,

Wow !!! Guess I'm getting ripped off and that os why he needed a deposit.

The center blade alone is 30 - 40 bucks in his book.
I believe he said 15- 18 each for the outside ones. He still don't know what the price will be until the short ones come in.

help.gif

Jim, could be he quoted you the hard surfaced version, note that that set of 3 blades for the 48" deck, from CC Specialties, is $100!!!

Latest posts

Back