• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 18, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave A,
The FAQ #14 has that one covered too.
beerchug.gif

Jim, Richard-
Thanks for the pictures, when I bent the nose of the share back so that from the side it was all about the same arch was when it worked much better. I think that before it was bent (before it was bent back) it was just enough to kill it's performance.

FWIW, pulling on a 12" plow with my 169 is definitely a bigger load than a 10, but more fun because you don't have to go so deep to get it to work the tractor and it'll still lay over a nice furrow. . . . . even though I've been going deep enough with my 12 to attach and old P&O moldboard extension.

Glen

Small world. My sister lives in Chatham. I was actually born there. My dad says if he hadn't had a hotrod `50 Merc at the time they'd have been spankin my brand new ass somewhere along McNaughton Ave instead of at the hospital.

Where do you go for parts? Used to be an IH dealer in Glencoe, but it went belly up. The dealer in Strathroy told my dad he doesn't handle CC parts anymore. That kinda surprised me. Not sure if he doesn't want to or just can't get them.

I don't have one, but if there's ever a plow day in the area I might go. As long as it's not the same day as the Bothwell car show!

Wyatt,

Amen......10" to 12" is a huge difference in load, but the 12's do plow nice is the right soil conditions.

Digger ya want a new bitch topic ... They changed my coffee !!! It taste like jd oil ! I called the company and we had a long talk but they aren't switching back ... they lost a customer and I've been drinking that brand of coffee since I was 13 !
I'll just start drinking the used oil from my 2166 ... if I ever figure out when to change it (I aint got no F'manual fer it)

Glad I got everyone's attention this morning
<center>
25748.gif
</center>

Mike M.
That was Chris Neal from the WFM Forum on his 318, we had a little plow day of our own here in the desert about a year ago. He must have been a bad influence as I have a couple of green things around here now.

Now Charlie where would I have seen that cub and loader befor?

Oh thats right, thats the one I used to have,
and it was only held onto the tractor with 6 bolts, 2 half inch bolts and 4 quater inch bolts.

My 149 is doing yeoman duty cleaning up the trees I dug up, but the Johnny Bucket shows some weaknesses. I had to grind and bevel the bucket catch to make it easier to release. I also installed a weaker spring. But the "Z shaped actuator rod is the biggest problem. When I load a 36" long tree trunk, 20 inches in diameter, the actuator rod bends and the bucket drags. Guess I'll make a straight rod out of pipe, with angled turnbuckles on the ends. I'd REALLY like to make apush pull handle mounted to the floorboard to replace those awkward ropes and handles that dangle over the left lever.

I have been reading the "FM" today on my KT-17.
It actually says that you can run a compression test?!?!? There is still the crank case manometer test too.
sad.gif
Dare I say that suc*s????

I guess I know what I may be doing this weekend...

How many hours till Plow day??????
wink.gif

Johnny,
Do you have any pictures of the johnny bucket?
Oh, and maybe the tree project?

Terry B. -

Try Google. Look for "johnny bucket". You'll find a reference to the company that makes them. Plenty of pics there.

Technically, Mr. Simpson's bucket is a Johnny Bucket Jr.

John S. -

Have ya checked out their site - they have a bunch of Johnny Bucket Jr mods.

This one looks nice 'n' dangerous - if it breaks, OUCH: spring assist

Saw a DIY powder coat kit on a DIYNet program this morning. The kit only cost $99 - $129.
I was thinking this would work good for a cub project. One drawback to powder coat vs. can is the dedicated electric oven to bake the parts. I figured a used oven would be cheap though. If I had more room in the garage I'd consider getting one.
Any of you professional restorers powder coat in your garage?

25760.jpg

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=10198

Just from being on the manufactureing, testing, and engineering of things in the tractor world; powdercoating is rarely used for a reason. From what I've dealt with the stuff, it's pretty colorfast and resilient stuff, but once it's nicked or cracked, or flexed, the coating gives way to corrosion underneath and pops off rather freely. Not to totally dismiss it, on some parts like footrests it may be the hot ticket to a long finish, but from what I've been exposed to in ag equipment it just doesn't hold up.

plus the stuff is a pain to strip back off!!! I'm still trying to find a chemical stripper that doesn't cost an arm & a leg that will do powdercoat.

Terry B. -

Of course, anyone doing a REAL restoration isn't going to use powder coat that only comes in school bus yellow and appliance off-white. They're going to use real paint in the correct colors.

Terry B

Actually, virtually any color you want to use for powder coating is possible. It's been popular with hotrod guys for a long time (It's been a while, but I've done some baking with an old stove). With respect to hotrods, powder coating is mostly used for suspension parts, chassis parts, brackets etc. Never seen it used for body parts, but I suppose it could be.

This link shows samples of some yellow colors available. Shouldn't be hard to match the shade used on CC's.

http://www.emachineshop.com/finishing/powder.htm

I guess before I'm corrected, one manufacturer I know of powdercoats everything. Kinze. I don't know how well their paint stands up to regular abuse but I've been in their facility and EVERYTHING gets powder coated.

Wyatt- I've got a cousin who's been on Kinze's R&D staff there for about 7 years now, and his experience (predominantly field-based) agrees with the prep-intensive comments. They spend comparatively big sums to get the stuff to stay on, but once it's on, it stays on.

Terry B, A friend of mine just had his 169 professionally powdercoated and it turned out great. The guy that did it for him matched yellow and white very well.As soon as we get it finished I will post some pics.

Latest posts

Back