• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 17, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went on my local dealers website and a set of standard blades for a 38" deck is about $57. A set of hard surfaced blades are about $75.

Jim, I bought the three blades ( I have the 42" deck with the cast center and ends) and a PTO drive belt for the 104 as well and the bill came to $115 aand change. I called a CC dealer in another town and had the prices confirmed

I seem to be having a problem with the steering on my 106. The arm that connects to the left spindle moves about a quarter of an inch before the wheel starts to turn. I thought it was key-hole-ing but it looks good. This is the second spindle in about a month and the first one looks good too. Is it possible that the pin that holds the top arm to the spindle is worn out and squishing under pressure? Would a new pin remedy the problem?

Scott, a new pin will certainly help, however the hole in the spindle and the hole in the spindle cap are both likely wallowed out slightly as well. Try a new Spirol pin first if that doesn't fix it, it might be time to drill the holes the next size up and install a new Spirol pin of that size. The stock size Spirol pin is 5/16" x 2" so I believe the next size up would be 3/8" x 2".

Richard,
You might want to take a closer look at that piston, I'm concerned you might have a broken ring that might eventually damage the bore. I know pulling the piston means pulling the engine etc, but the engine on the 102 I rebuilt had a really ugly broken ring that turned a .010 overbore into a .030 overbore, which barely took out the gouge where the broken ring dug in. See if you can get hold of an inside micrometer and measure the bore in various places.

153330.jpg

153331.jpg

Matt,
I once was redoing some vintage license plates, Maryland lets you display old tags of the correct year on vintage cars. I tried all the solvent based strippers, which would barely soften the 40 year old paint. In desperation I took some lye based drain cleaner and poured it into a plastic tray large enough to lay the tags flat. It took a while, but it ended up working better than anything else I tried

Bruce Nolte, Check. Will do. Do you have any recommendations for cleaning up the valve seats before lapping? So far I've used a nylon/sponge thing made for washing dishes. But the carbon is pretty stubborn. It's kind of a yellowish orange color.

Here is a good all around tool for cleaning gaskets, rust spots, carbon, etc. You can get the tool at Harbor Freight for about $25, and the mandrel for a few bucks, replacement pads for about a buck each for the smalls, about $2 for the large. I assume you have an air compressor in your shop.

For decarboning the ports, not too close to the seats themselves, you can use a Dremel with a variety of abrasive stones or a wire brush attachment, and for the tool above, you can get abrasive stones mounted on a 1/4" mandrel. The yellow/orange stuff is probably a fuel additive. Tetraethyl Lead used to be a big thing back in the day, and would leave all sorts of deposits. They helped lubricate the valves but fouled the spark plugs, and gave most of us over a certain age at least a bit of lead poisoning.

153335.jpg

From on the road (near Romance, WV....)

Bruce - ever chase those 3M Scotch Brite Rolocs around the shop (my angle head die grinder's got good brakes - I've seen one of those 2 inch pads hit at least three walls and the ceiling ) They ARE great for gasket removal and decoking...

Matt - my electrolysis bucket has a piece of pipe the size of the ID of the bucket (standard drywall bucket) and the same height, 3/8 wall thickness. I tacked some bolts on the top edge to hook the charger cable to. I've read that the lower the amperage the better the results, but obviously, the current draw is proportional to the surface area exposed. We need details on the nickel plating.

Wife, cat, two Cushman's and I have been on the road for a week or so. We stayed at Lowes Motor Speedway, in Concord NC for the Cushman Nationals. We rented a car and went Cub spotting - finally found some near the new Richard Petty Motorsports shop (was Gillett Evernham Motorsports), NONE near Tony Stewart's shop (my wife is hanging her head in shame..)but haven't really seen many since leaving Ohio last week.. We're heading back home now, thinking of taking back roads and looking (I've got room in the trailer) (grin)...

Bruce Nolte,
I assume you have an air compressor in your shop.

My shop and air compressor are in my dreams. I'm doing this in the yard.
whistling.gif

Kraig, thanks for the info! I will have to do that on my next day off.

Here is a pic of the K all painted up and looking nice!
board-post.pl

Sorry the pic is a little "fuzzy"

Back