• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 12, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchristensen

displayname
Richard Christensen
Kraig On that picture of the conversion of the front disc coupler it looks like David is using the Quiet line flex coupler. It looks to me like you could use the older style flex coupler which would probably be better.

Here is a picture of the two, I believe the number of the Quietline coupler has changed since I took this picture.

152958.jpg

I don't think you would have a problem with the smaller hole flex disc for this purpose, but it is necessary to have the larger hole disc for the rear couplers on the quietlines.

Whenever I can use the old style flex disc with the smaller hole I do to prevent this:

152959.jpg

I would like to be first to say have a great Cub day.Raining here and the grass looks real long.Going to the Cub Shed to paint some parts . later Don T
coffee.gif

Hey Allen I am reading my Manuals they are Great But I Have a question on my 109 I reajusted the carb it runs great but will not idle i noticed a little oil comming out of the head gasket would this afect the idle or not?

I kinda have a situation similar to Jeff's, a roadside bank that gets REALLY steep, probably 40-45 degrees. I never take the 982 on it. All the tires on it are too new & good and even with the wider track I'm afraid it'll lay over on it's side, plus I've heard those opposed twin engines don't like steep side slopes.
I always use the 72 to mow that bank, Used the old K241 for a LOT of years, and the K321 doesn't seem to mind it much, Bank is about 500 ft long. I sit on the high side fender while mowing, BODY English You know, when it gets steep enough the frt end won't stay on the slope I know it's time to drive down off the bank. There's some places it isn't near as steep so I know the engine is getting some oiling during that time.

Be interesting to actually PUT a window, piece of LEXAN or something in a Kohler block to actually watch the oil fly around when the engine is at different angles. Bet Kohler's done that!

On the topic of mowing on banks, I agree with Ryan that angles can be deceiving. A 2:1 slope is about the steepest slope for an embankment that you can build. Mother nature sometimes has eroded material and left steeper slopes. A 2:1 slope (1 foot of rise or fall in 2 feet horizontal distance) is about 26 degrees!

I heard, that at a pre-race function at Bristol Motor Speedway years ago, they parked an old VW bug on the 36 degree banking and someone pushed it over with one finger and it rolled down the track.

So I wonder how many people are actually mowing embankments over 30 degrees.

Willis H. If you have oil coming out of your head gasket on your 109 you need to replace it before you ruin the head. Its a good time to do a decarbon also.

Hi Willis...As Richard noted, a leaky head gasket isn't the greatest thing. They are easily available and dont think that expensive. Other guys will let us know if you gotta pull the engine, but I dont think so. Not sure how much effect that gasket has on idle...may still be in the carb...or maybe a hanging valve. Add some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to crankcase and fuel. Maybe someone here will give us appropriate amounts to add. I'll keep a eye open thru the day to see who else chimes in on this.

A couple of years back, there was a company named Flex-Deck that had a flip up or down deck that could be attached to your mower deck. This allowed you to not only mow a wider swath, but also allowed you to mow slope and ditch lines. I'm not sure it that company still exists as I could not find it.

Willis Hecht,

Yes a leaky head gasket will affect you idle. It's called a massive vacuum leak. Here is a picture of what is under you head.

152961.jpg

Where do you suppose the oil is coming from that is leaking out?

You guys got me curious about the slope of one hill on the back of my house. Aside from the ditches by the road, this is the most angled part of the yard.

152963.jpg

My iPod has a 'Level' application that is reasonably accurate. I set a board on what looked like the steepest direction (by my eyes, anyway) and checked the angle:

152964.jpg

My camera decided to focus on the reflection of the grass in the screen instead of the screen, but you can still read the 22.2 degrees. It's not as steep as it looks.

Matt Gonitzke,
I saw some guys in southern Ohio working their rolling land. I was afraid just looking.

Richard Palmer

Most people say that there is oil leaking out of the head gasket but it is most likely soot from the exhaust and unburnt gas.

Hi gang, has anyone pulled a disc with a cub? I have a 6' disc that bolts together. I could make it into a 3' Does anyone think my 128 would pull it? The 128 is very comptitive at the 1000# pulls. Any thoughts?

Brad Rainey....I was in Perryville this morning. Had breakfast at the Park-et. I live 20 miles south of Perryville.

Charlie Procter....Any word on the hydro lift reservoir flat gasket yet?

RAY - With the right tires & weights, Your 128 should pull a 3 ft disc just fine. You may be able to MOVE a six foot disc until It finds soft ground. FARMALL H's pulled six and seven foot tandem discs back in the day. If Your disc is a Single row disc as opposed to a Tandem disc You may be able to pull the six foot, but You'll run out of traction WAY sooner than HP.

RICHARD - Every late summer or fall the Guys from the RPM forum post pic's of combining the wheat ground out in the great northwest. Seems like every fall someone has an accident where their sidehill combine slides OFF the side of the hill. They routinely operate on 40-45 deg. slopes.

Slopes?
152968.jpg

There's no way turf tires would get us up this-especially after an inch of rain in the last couple days. (We're not mowing, we're just playing "post"). Rhoda got customised this afternoon with a 1X9 steering wheel and a seat that doesn't leak.
Marlin: Shadow would like to meet Fancy:
152969.jpg

Thank you for the fuel issue suggestion, I will pull it apart tonight...Thx

Ray;

I used my 128 to pull my ATV disc to make food plots. That disc weighs about 200 lbs and really bites well in anything except hard packed,dry bone,sun baked soil, and the 128 pulls it without a whimper! At least it did until a balance gear blew out the block!
Bob.

Frank, that is a steep embankment slope, but I bet it is still close to 25 degrees. The slats in the lattice under Matt's back deck are 45 degrees. You couldn't walk up that!

Oh well, I am mowing with my 1250 pretty often now. And I only have a couple of short sections where I sit on the uphill side of the seat.

Latest posts

Back