• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 29, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Doug-

I spoke with my "small engine guy" this morning and asked for his input. He said he has knocked the mess out of them and hasn't yet done damage to a crank. That's my biggest concern but at this point I'm thinking BFH. I would be reassembling things by now if the darn thing would come off. The hammering I've done has peened the end of the quality HF puller I'm using.

I just pulled the clutch out. The final drive has a nice 3/8" (almost) hole in it. The coupler was held on by half of a roll pin and the other pin was broken but was holding somewhat. The drive shaft had a huge wiggle at that point too. I haven't removed the spring yet so I don't know what shape the shaft is in under the throw out bearing, spring, etc. There is plenty of rust.

I peened over the nut on my higher quality New Britain puller. I think I finally used a 5 lb sledge with one good rap and it popped. Grinder cleaned up the puller. Engine is running fine so the crank appears to be fine. I had to replace my shaft. It was ground up pretty good.

Hydro: What usually fails on the electric lift? They are just linear actuators, correct? Does the motor just fail?
I know where to get actuators and they are not very expensive even for like a 600# pull version. I'm building a 41 Willys hot rod for a fellow and he wanted an automatic lift on the trunk.

I've used these folks:
https://www.progressiveautomations.com/
You can order whatever you want and it shows up in a couple days.

Larry-

There are a couple of things that could need attention. It has a helical gear (I think that's right) that sells for around $100 and that's just one gear. I sent one to Charlie a few years back for him to rebuild and he was very reasonable (if he still tackles such jobs).

Wayne, a "BFH" or, as Don Tanner used to call it, a "multi angle swing press."

Wayne- When I did mine I talked to my son about it. He asked me if I took the nut off.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 112
Doug: Had you?

Wayne: Thanks for keeping things going!

Kraiq:
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 115
Larry - I really don't know the inner workings of the electric lifts. I'm pretty certain they have a few unique parts, one of which Wayne mentioned.

Wayne - I just gotta ask. Why in the H do you want to remove the flywheel?

Hydro-

It just makes changing the main rear seal so much easier.

Marty-

Yes. I've had Kroil on it for days now.

That BFH lived up to it's name. The flywheel is off and I can move on now. I've dealt with many flywheels as well as steering wheels but this one took the cake. The keyway, key, and shaft all look just fine. I will never know why this flywheel had to cause so much profanity...and take 3 days.

Thanks to all for the input.

Now, here's the question of the day...what is wrong with this picture? It's the basket pulley from this engine.

315840.jpg

Attachments

• 315840.jpg
    315840.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 315840.jpg
    315840.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 135
Wayne S.
Other than being fuzzy?
biggrin.gif

Ohh, you mean the crack!
roflol.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 110
  • roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 118
The access hole to loosen/tighten the setscrews that hold the basket to the shaft is not even close to alignment.

QA/QC was off that Monday.

Wayne,

I know, I know.
The basket is painted a purpleish pink.
err.gif

Attachments

• err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 114
Here it is, The hub was removed from the pulley for some reason, probably rust, and was welded back with the wrench holes completely out of line. At times like this I like to chase threads and there's no way here.

Charlie-

Yep, it was a little fuzzy but I'm no Kraig. I'm using the same little camera I started with over 10 years ago. It was a very popular camera at that time. And where do you see a crack? I wasn't concerned about any cracks.

I'm so tickled having the flywheel off. Now it's time to sit and make up a parts list. I'm finally headin' the other way.

Wayne - I guess I missed your post about changing the rear seal. Musta been 3 days ago or so since you said you been working on removing the flywheel for 3 days.
Now, are you gonna re-align the hub on that basket pulley? The way it is you ain't gotta chance of any fine tuning re-alignment once it's installed and you install the PTO. Somehow I think, knowing you, you're gonna fix it.
I'm glad to hear you've turned the corner and are starting in the direction of ordering the parts you need to fix everything. You've already found enough crap the PO "fixed" to his liking. I'm just amazed.
Hey - just had a thought. The way to fix that basket pulley. Just cut out a new slot where it does align with the set screw.
correct police.gif

Kraig - "multi angle swing press."
lol.gif

I miss Don T.

Thanks.

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 108

Latest posts

Back