• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 08, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig-

Great, now you took away my excuses. . .I've consoled myself that I haven't turned any wrenches on my Origial #1158 "basket case" on the theory that you got K4K was about a year before I got 1158. . .

Bill Tracy,

Here is a method of tracing short circuits so you do not need to keep blowing fuses until you find it.

1 - Disconnect the negative (ground) battery cable.

2 - Connect a voltmeter in series from the negative battery terminal to a ground. The plus lead from the voltmeter goes to the battery terminal, the other to ground. Set the voltmeter range to any that is greater than 12 volts.

Now when you turn on anything or there is a short circuit the voltmeter will show 12 volts. When everything is off it will show 0 volts. Readings in between usually mean the battery case is dirty with acid.

In your case, make sure you have a fresh fuse in place and keep disconnecting circuits until you find the one with the short and the voltage goes to zero. Now trace that wire down, find the fault, and correct it.

Note: This also works in cars, trucks, etc but you need to first disconnect those circuits that normally draw some current all the time (computers, clocks, radios....)

Jim Egstad

Charlie - At least You can get into the Project forum ;-( WYATT & Dave K #1 - Two thumbs up on the Powered By Kohler decals. Ken W. - I suspect Jim C's truck is DT-466-powered. That engine will make more HP and last longer than any Bow-tie small block, and probably ANY Big Block as well. I've heard of them being used in trucks grossing 80,000#. They weren't real fast but got REAL good fuel economy.

Rich K., you can still use your excuse for one more year. :eek:)

BOY.... I always enjoy getting E-MAILS from Charlie! Thank-You! ;-)

After nearly a week worth of kick your butt labor in the heat, the new roof is on the house and sealed up nice and tight, just in time for today's rain!!!!!!

I put 40 year shingles on it because I'M not going to replace it again!!!!!!!!

Now, If I can get the old shed roofed this weekend I can get rid of the 3/4 full 20 yard dumpster that's blocking the garage!!!!

Paul P.,

Gases are ok, as long as they are clear; It IS the breather so you expect to have an oily residue in that area. Blue smoke indicates worn rings and possibly a sloppy piston/bore.

Paul,
Just noticed you are in Wallingford, about 40 minutes from me in Trumbull. Kenny

roflol.gif

Shame Jeff R hasn't visited in a while - I wanna ask him if Bing Cosby (sic) is Bill's long lost brotha...

I think I've got oil leaking out of the governor on my 128. Is this fixable?

Also, the engine smokes out of the breather. Must be oil smoke because it's blue. Would new rings help that or is that just a band-aid?

Dennis -- Digger must send you better emails than he sends me. He's as bad as a woman sometimes !
I've been thinking the past four years about seeing if I could get my old 62 (64?) R190 back and putting the cab on a later BOW TIE! frame and putting an aluminum bed on it to set my welder on ... just to look at
happy.gif
I liked that old cab but sure hated the 45mph top speed even with the 5/2 it had. It'd pull oak stumps in high gear!

Kraig -- ya got any BIG pics of that red beauty ? (oh wait , Digger came through ... there's a first ;) )
I thought you'd have K4K polished by now , man you're lazy <font size="-2">(or you hang around here to much!)</font>

Wyatt -- got some kind of Ferd autotrans today , gotta tear it open to see what's inside besides junk. If nothing else it was free and I can melt the case
happy.gif

Bryan -- is school out or you playin' hooky ?

KEN - As My Dad once said about an IHC truck "It ran too long in one spot!" Guy My Dad drove for back in the early 60's bought CO-190's, 450+/- cid in-line 6, 5 + 2 tranny, single axle. The CO-'s were the short cab-overs. Doors were ahead of the steering axle, little sleeper bunk with Picture windows all around. Engine sat in the doghouse and kept the cab real warm in summer but with all the air leaks around the shifter boot bolted to the frame with about three sets of U-joints, slip joints, etc. the cab was nice & cool all winter! They weren't fast but they sure rode rough! I keep seeing these old IHC ex-firetrucks advertised in Red Power Mag. with really low miles on them. I always wonder if I should buy one to remind myself NOT to buy another! ;-) I guess that's why I like Cub Cadets & IHC Letter series tractors so much. When IH did something right it was really right! Then there was the truck & construction equip. group. ;-(

Denny,

Not many miles, but some have LOTS of pumping hours.......mileage is kind-of a bad gauge of a truck's condition on a high PTO usage application........think of those old corn sheller trucks!!!!!!

I worked at a shop up in Paul Bell's old stomping grounds (a few thousand yards from his airport job) and they had a shop wrecker built on one of those CO's like Kraig posted. If you picked up the rear of a tandem semi tractor you looked like a pro puller with the front wheels (and you!) four feet in the air. Somebody had it pulled up to the shop door one day working on it in front of a truck I had up on jack stands doing a king pin job on. I just got about 8 feet away from it going to the parts room when the so-n-so kicked it in gear and knocked my truck off the stands. That was another one of my "close ones"!

Back