Archive through June 04, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
KENtucky, have you checked the "Handy Shop Charts (that you can never find when you need'em)" thread you started in the Machine Shop forum?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Looks like the chart is there to me.
happy.gif

KENtucky 2, On why I posted the Rev on a Cub, note the spray that appears to coming from the Rev's head indicating that he blew a head gasket. Sorry old forum joke that appears to have gone over your head.
uhoh.gif

Ding...next round!!
whistling.gif

And I really don't think that blowout that KentucK fixed was caused by preignition....
BTW - Yogi wasn't swearing..... he said "it's deja vu all over again"..

Isolation mount innards
Do engine isolation mounts IH-61509-C2 (or replacement) come with the metal spacer/washers? Parts here provides no info. Aftermarket mounts either don't come with them or say nothing. Are these standard metal washers but thicker or are they unique to the mounts? Is there harm if regular hardware washers are stacked to achieve the same thicknesses?

Gary, not sure if this will help answer your query or not but have a look Click --> HERE

Cub 122- 48" deck, without shimming, is there any way to adjust my cutting height about 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher. Setting A (where I've been cutting) is kinda low, the next higher (steeing B) looks too high. I'd like it somewhere in between. thanks! Dave

DAVID - There should be a implement lift stop attached to the frame of your 122 right in front of the lift lever. It's about 1-1/4" wide and 6-8 inches long with a very L-O-N-G slot for adjusting where it's clamped down with a 1/2" NC hex nut, lock washer & flat washer. You will have to enable the "Float" on your lift lever, should be like an "upside-down letter W" used to hold the release button on the top of the lift lever on a 122.

That stop should be used to adjust mowing height. The knotches can be used but when mowing over uneven ground it's best to let the mower "float".

Gary-

When you buy new iso-mounts, it comes with everything but the bolt and nut IIRC.

WE HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE GHOST OF HYDRO HARRY!!! It is something to yell about.

Ken ,,, you didn't really weld that head. Its just that gray putty stuff,HUH???

Fellas,
I feel compelled to share my thoughts & practices on motor oil, gasoline and their additives:

MOTOR OIL:
I use straight 30W TRAVELER'S motor oil from the local Tractor Supply Company (TSC) store.
I change it twice a mowing season = every 25-30 hrs of run time. I have an hour meter on my 129 Cub and will soon put one on my 127 Cub.

I've tried the ceramic additive, I've tried the Sea Foam stuff. Neither impressed me as doing anything for my K301 Kohlers.

For about two years I've been using it in my 4-cyl Ranger [now with 302K miles] and it's consumption rate has also been reduced. So, during my last Kohler oil change, I added 5oz. of LUCAS Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and topped it off with the TSC 30W motor oil. That engine used to smoke some when worked hard, and it doesn't any longer. After two/three hours of use, I would have to add oil, as it would be down the dipstick 1/4" to 1/2" inch, now the oil consumption is much less than half that rate! I'M SOLD ON LUCAS!

GASOLINE:
I use mid-grade, quality, name-brand gasoline because I believe it lasts longer in the can and in the fuel tank and doesn't varnish up the fuel system like regular grade, no-name gas does. I use mid-grade fuel with MMO (mixed according to the MMO ratio) in all my air-cooled, 4-cycle engines. During the off-season, I don't drain the fuel tanks, rather I make sure that I start and run each engine at least once a month for at least 10 minutes.
I used to drain the fuel systems each Fall, but then I'd have dried out & leaking gaskets/seals in the Spring. So, I have determined it to be better to leave some fuel (1/2 tank full) in the systems, and just run the engine periodically to burn some of the soon-to-be-stall gasoline. For the first Spring outing of more than 1 hour run time, I fill the tank, burn it nearly dry, change my inline fuel filter, and refill the tank.

I plan to remove the two Kohler cylinder heads after 100 hrs just to see what they look like. I expect them to be very clean and nearly carbon-less.

For what's it's worth, the above practice has served me well!
Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

P.S.
I don't believe gasoline with 10% ethanol 'stays good' nearly as long as 100% gasoline (which is no longer available near me) once did.
If the gasoline storage can or fuel tank is vented to the atmosphere, it WILL "go bad" in just a few weeks.

Anything with the word Lucas in it is prety much the best stuff on earth.

Kentuck, I googled it and yes I know what par means.

When I pull the kids around at my church it will be hot and I will be under load should I use a higher octain fuel?

I gues I will start using mmo in my 122 I would put it in my o but it is non operational and will be for a LONG time.

Who is the guy with the fancy colerful headlight wierin diagrams could he or somwone post a pic of one for a 122?

Lucas-

By "load" we mean pulling a plow, removing 10" of wet snow with a snowthrower, or mowing foot-tall grass. Pulling a trailer full of kids won't even make it break a sweat. I'd be more worried about carboning it up from it idling around all day than detonating.

JD - well thank you again for the oil details and the link. I'm looking into this further but I just don't think I can go to that JD Torq-guard.

KenTUCK - BG = Balance Gears, course you knew that, and I found the search function in the Vault. Interesting but mine are staying, unless and until I get the Dave Kirk thing-a-ma-jig. I don't know which version of the Kohler BG I have but my K341 is actually pretty smooth.

Ryan W - on the oil, are you trying to say you're satisfied that the Lucas provides the ZDDP that's like now missing from the Travelers oil??

Jerry B - did the party ever end??

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die, they just find another resting place.

Lucas--- a pack of kids are not going to make a cub work enough to worry about unless it is a 30 foot trailer full. In that case we recommend earplugs for the cub driver!

Harry --- the party never ends here! Some days are just better than others.

Somebody else post this so it doesn't seem like I'm kicking Lucas in the pants again ...

Lucas - I didn't ask you if you knew what PAR meant , I asked if you found out what the numbers meant. The numbers are the important part of the equation.

If you'd pay attention when people respond to your questions then you'd already have a 122 wiring diagram.
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine) (Fcurrier) on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 07:43 pm:<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
But since you bounce off two forums asking questions you probably don't have time to read the answers.

Matt - How often do you ask a question , get it answered then come in 7 days later and ask it again ? He's not been here long enough to have CRS.

Harry - I don't do balance gears so why should I know what BG is. After the meltdown by Kendall over BGs I'm not touching them ever ever ever ever !

Kraig - Yes I remember the head gasket joke but I had temporary CRS earlier. To many hours between sandman visits.

Jerry B - Believe it or not da Rev had a guy there in Montana that said he could fix that head with JB.

I googled it and I red what the whole thing is numbes and all. I was also googleing mmo and ran across some stuff that said you cant get carbon buildup with unleaded gas.

Lucas - Unleaded gas is <u>all</u> you can buy since the late 70's or early 80's ... CRS again.

Latest posts

Back