• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 04, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcook

displayname
Bill Cook
Wyatt: As Matt noted, my 1712 has the Series II in it.

The engine in the tractor is/runs fine, with 721 hours on it.

I was just wanting to warm it up slightly....minor hotrodding, since we use the tractor for normal duties. I don't really want to do a complete engine swap, unless the KT-17 grenades unexpectedly.

A few more ponies, and a little more bark is what I'm going for. I've found almost all the parts I'm going to use for the warm up (so I can keep it's original/stock parts to put back on if need to)

I'll have a machine shop shave the heads .030, and use some stock head gaskets again.

Just wanting to play a little.

biggrin.gif

here is a cool tractor pulling sled i have never seen one like. just thought I would share the pic!
79104.jpg

Ed, there is a group of pullers from the North country in NY that are running stock 350 Chev V8's in Cub chassis' with hydrostatic trannies on 26" AG tires at 1500lbs. I haven't heard of any durability problems with this setup. Your VW shouldn't be a problem best I can tell. Geo

George ore anybody
my dad is running a 125 with 14 horse is there any thing he should do to the hydro were puling dead weight and only pulling it about 12 feet from what ive heard the trany will hold up fine and hes pulling in the 950# 1050# and 1150# class im open for ideas
thanks in advance

Like everyone else here I've considered the 'Killer' upgrade to my K301 but was wondering how I get the measurments for the bore and the head, to tell if my motor is stock or been worked on before. Is there a technical manually avalible for the K series?

Hey guys I've got a question about beefing up my 1882 aluminum rear. I'd like to swap in my 129 cast iron housing but yet keep the 1882 pump because of the splined in/out shaft. I thought about just swapping the pumps but the IH rear uses a 66 tooth count and the MTD uses a 68 count. Did they increase the diameter of the gear for the other 2 teeth and keep the same pitch or is it altogether a different animal ? I'd like to have the MTD axles and pump in the IH housing.

I smoked a tranny output shaft & reduction gear because I didn't know there was a difference...change out the gear.

Ken-
I did just that a couple years ago with an 1872 I had here with a bad tranny. As Ryan says, the gears are different enough to be non-compatable in my opinion.
79431.jpg

79432.jpg

Pop out the welch-plug on the front of the tranny and swap out the pinions....
79433.jpg

Art - You're just making more work for me !
What about shims ? The top gear looks thinner than the bottom and what about backlash setting of the R&P since there's no nut on the pinion, or does the different front bearing retainer sizes take care of that ?
From the pinion pics it looks like IH had the better R&P of the two but I like the second snap ring on the shaft that the IH one doesn't have.
I wonder if Detroit or ARB has a locker for Cubs ...
biggrin.gif

Is it just me, or does the pinion on the right appear to have straight teeth, while the one on the left is helicut.

Wouldn't the make a ring gear swap necessary too?

Nic - That's why I said it looked like IH had the better R&P ;) Yes the ring gear would have to be swapped with it. The carrier and spiders would need to swap too since I want to use the MTD axles ... at least I think they're fine splined.
dunno.gif

I've not got into it yet.

Ken-
A "Detroit" or "ARB" locker would be great. Too bad we don't know anyone with some machining ability to make something like that for us!
asthanos.gif

Backlash setting on the Pinion shaft is set by different size "bearing retainers" as you can see in the parts list below. (As you can see, there are multiple #31's in the diagram below based on what you'd need.)

79442.jpg

You basically end up gutting both transmission cases, then transfering all of the aluminum internals over to the Cast Iron case. I think I was able to use the Cast Iron case's existing pinion bearing. Other than that, everything else got transfered including carrier bearings, cups and shims.

Once you realize that you basically need to gut both transmissions, reassembling everything back in the Cast Iron trans case becomes an easy task with a chassis service manual from any of the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> cubs.

<font size="-2">I would say "RTFM", but "hommie" don't roll that way......</font>
roflol.gif

Art - I've already studied the parts breakdowns for both animals since I DON'T have service manuals ... Can't reed aniweigh ;)

I thought about a locker like a Lock Rite or my Aussie but due to the size limitations I don't think there'd be enough strength left. Another cubic foot of room inside the rear carrier area would have been GREAT as Tony said
biggrin.gif

You know those tight lipped pullers want spill any beans for a starving man either
shhh.gif

I guess it depends on which side of the reduction housing it's on. A lot of conflicting pics.
79472.gif

79473.jpg

And then Art's pic with the reduction gear inside the carrier housing instead of the reduction housing.
Guess I'll have to get dirty and see whats what.

Ken-
Is that a gear-drive housing you pictured? (in the photo, not the parts break-down.)

AFAIK, the reduction gear is always inside a hydro tranny..........right?
79476.gif

Latest posts

Back