Archive through June 04, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt G, I have not used the ohm meter before. Are you saying the gap is not as crucial as the time of the gap (the point at which the points break)? If so this might explain my 125's hard idle even though timing is set at .020.

Bob-

Correct. A point gap of 0.020" rarely corresponds to correct timing in my experience. You set the point gap so they break at the correct time, and it usually winds up being 0.016"-0.022", although I've had a few outside of that range. Wear and manufacturing tolerances just about guarantee that setting the point gap to 0.020" rarely is correct.

Matt G,
Thanks!!

This is why I love forums, Real world experience and tips and tricks. I've read several Kohler and other service manuals but haven't seen that yet.

i used to get this liquid rust reformer in a gallon container. Seems like the plastic jug was clear with white print. Can't remember the name and wondered if anyone knows what I'm talking about. I know rustoleum has a paste or gel but this was a brown liquid dump or spray it on and rust would turn black and not rust for a looooong time. took paint well also.

Also if you know of a homade brew, please fill me in.

last, the clutch shaft guard on a model 71, was that perforated or sheet metal? I have seen pics that show both and the parts manual doesn't have a good pic either

Bob P.
Here's both kinds.
191781.jpg

191782.jpg

Dross - Thanks for the response. I am pretty sure I reinstalled everything that was on, and was removed. I cannot start it now because I came into the garage and smelled fuel and found that a large amount of fuel was and had been dripping out of the air cleaner. I think my carb is toast. Found a new "in the box", Kohler/Walbro on EBay and was priced right, I think...I was less than half of the cost from Cub or Kohler parts. I'll put it on and see if I can locate the area where the noise is coming from. Do you know if you can leave the adjustment too loose or too tight and get such a result ?

Charles-

Your carb isn't toast. It just needs rebuilding. A carb kit and new float would probably fix it.

At any rate, don't throw it away...

Bob P. I have tried 2 products shown below. The Rustoleum comes out like black paint so I dont really know whats it's doing. The EXTEND is a nice product. Sprays on clear and turns black as it works. It looks like it's actually doing something. Got mine at HD or L's, and probabily other places.
191786.jpg

Allen:
I keep getting spam email for that product on the left......I think
1a_scratchhead.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back