• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 21, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Geez - is this the 1st post on a new thread?

Kraig - have you got a pic of Jim Chabot's 169, sometimes called mine's sister, but really a cousin.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (they often come back as new)

Wow I came back looking for an answer about the voltage regulator terminals and it's in the archives! LOL I never made history so easily before.

Bill

Jeff B and Donald T. Along with the new gasket for your ported/non ported switch DON'T forget to purchase a new SEAL for the input shaft.

I had a neat write-up on just how to do that swap (very simple) only my tired hands and fingers hit something and I lost everything. I'll try tomorrow night if all goes well.

Kraig M. My ex-wife and I had one of those white IH #47 Demonstrator hay balers. We bought it used at Strawberry Point, Iowa. Last I saw of it our kids had hauled it into the pasture to give them more shed room to work on cars for the neighbor kids. That color gold is the same color as were the IH demonstrator tractors.

Dennis F. My high school best friend's parents had an F20 with a loader like that. It was a bear to handle without the load of manure.

Bill Z...I believe pole is for the GEN wire...I believe the "L" terminal is open.

Some other of the experts will surely help you, but I had the same situation and believe that's how we solved the issue.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Marlin: I was looking for a picture of a seal and came across these two, side by side... struck me funny and somehow right...

194370.jpg
194371.jpg

Sorry Charlie....

Harry Bursell

Now - what's that short (about 5 or 6") lever I see about mid-frame in front of the seat??

I do think that would be the creeper lever.

Marlin Homrighausen

The last pump seal I changed I used a sheet metal screw and screwed it into the old seal and used pliers to work the seal out btdt.

Rick Albert

I could be wrong , and I know someone will correct me but the L stands for Lights?

Hopefully some smarter than me will jump in here and answer your question.
old.gif

Marlin Homrighausen

I`am positive that I have a spare seal here for the input shaft on the pump.If I remember correctly the trunnion seal and the shaft off the squash plate are a larger seal than the input shaft.I made that mistake last time and had to Waite till Charlie could send me another seal so I could put my pump back together. I have learned a few things in the years on here reading posts for other smarter people than me lol.
old.gif

Guys I see Charlie stocks all the seals and gaskets that I will need to change out the hydro pump. I see another order coming his way as soon as Frank C sends me a ported pump front assembly.I have to thank him for making it easy for us to repair and keep my Cubs working.He has gone out of his way to help me get the right parts always.

THANK YOU DIGGER !
Shift.gif

Rick Albert,

That is just what I was looking for. I thought the L might be for load to connect extra things like lights, radio, air conditioner! Wish full thinking on the A-C!and radio!

Bill

Got the new mounts welded to the loader uprights.

194373.jpg

I put the subframe on the tractor and started sliding the 2x3 tube back and forth on the subframe to find the ideal location for it. I still don't have it there yet. It needs to go further forward. Tomorrow I need to start figuring out the pump mount and forward brace. Once everything's located, the subframe can be finish-welded and painted, and then I just have to come up with a tank for the hydraulic fluid and rebuild my spare set of cylinders. I did put the engine mount cradle in today, but I didn't put the engine in, since it's so much easier to work when the engine isn't installed.

194374.jpg

I decided to use the MOOG K5252 (or more specifically, the AutoZone part that it crosses to) sway bar kit for the upper mounts, and 4 good original ISO-mounts on the bottom. Hopefully that'll last until I can buy the real thing.

Kraig-

lol.gif

Denny-

I suppose I could have some '1482' decals made, but the paint is nice and original, and I don't have the time to paint it, nor do I want to.

While inspecting the inside of my K301 while I have it out, I found very wobbly balance gears. I removed them due to their looseness while the last set I took out was because I heard it suggested, All though I dont remember that many shim washers on the first one

194380.jpg

194381.jpg

and I know it was last week there was talk about fly wheels but heres the one on the k301
194382.jpg

194383.jpg

Matt G - HOLD YOUR HORSES - I believe you have a problem. You don't have access to the holes where the engine bolts to the ISO-bars. The QL tractors have holes in the frame cross-member where the front axle sits. When the holes are there you can reach up thru the underside of the cross-member and insert the engine mounting bolts to the ISO-bars. Unless you have plans for your ISO-bars to be jacked way up for correct alignment, or maybe you mount the ISO-bars to the engine before installation (which I guess could work) - but then I wonder if you have enough clearance for the bolt heads above the front axle cross-member.

Donald T - I thought that lever might be one of the infamous 6 speed gear boxes (that were really 9 speeds). Someone remind me of the actual name please.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (the manual shifts got all kinds of speeds BUT the Hydros got infinite speeds)

Harry-

The 1282 engine mount risers which go between the engine and the cradle aren't shown. They use the 4 holes that are not over the axle. I've had this bolted together about 6 times now; it works...

Harry Bursell
I thought Matt was using a 12 K in his loader?

And that is and M&W that you are trying to remember the name of, I think.

Hydro Harry, here are a few of Jim's 169 then a couple of Jim's 169 and your 169 side by side. I believe Jim posted the photo of his white Original Demo in late October 2001.

194385.jpg

194386.jpg

194387.jpg

194388.jpg

194389.jpg

Paul B., isn't that just a plain creeper on Jim C's Original Demo?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Regarding voltage regulators L = load.

194391.jpg

Matt G - ya had me worried there. Guess I'd like to see what those risers look like.

Dan T and Paul B - thanks for rocking the memory. M&W 9-Speed. Those things are so rare I think I've only ever seen 2 and that was in pics. (Kraig - have you got those 2 pics?)
And Dan, yes I believe Matt is putting a K321AQS in his 1282.

Kraig - hey thanks so much for posting those photos of Jim's and my 169. Don't recall why my air cleaner was missing cept maybe the engine had just been installed. Did you notice that REALLY BIG SNOW BLADE behind the tractors in the front on pic??? That was a monster. I don't think Jim wanted anyone to get out of his shop. That one pic gives you a good shot of the choke cable Jim used. He liked that extra long one with the big loop along the outside of the frame. I believe he saw that someplace and decided it was more original. Never seen one like it tho. I sure like those rear tires Jim got. Anyone know what they are from the pic?

And now, on his white demo Original, I was thinking maybe that was an M&W lever, but after racking the ole brain, and then checking the last section of the CPE-2 I see thats the International Danco UD-6 also known as a Creeper. I was really getting confused since the lever is so much different from the later Creeper. One really nice Demo Original Jim has there.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (as sweet as they look, how could they)

Kraig,
Yes, that is a creeper shift lever on Jim's demo, but Harry had also asked what the name of the 9 speed was. The M&W 9 speed added 2" to the length of the tractor and fit between the front frame and the gear reduction housing. The creeper just bolted on the front of the reduction unit and uses a shorter driveshaft, similar to the later creepers. You could use one or the other, but not both on the same tractor.
Not many 9 speeds made. All I have seen had a serial number of 10XX, and it is thought there were less than a 100 total made.
194394.jpg

PAUL - Bill DeTurck has the only M&W 9-speed installed in his Original that I know of. Seems like I heard of one other years ago.... Maybe Charlie has it now.

I think Bill posted someplace, maybe at RPM's forum or Only CC's the total number of M&W 9-speeds may be as low as 50.

They were a nice little unit, compact, a creeper and over-drive all in one. I had the M&W brochure on them and the frt mounted rough cut mower M&W designed but only ever built about TWO of years ago. It listed the gear speeds, seemed like high 3rd was 10-11 mph. You'd have to have pretty tight steering to keep a CC that fast on track.

MARLIN - Dad's first loader was a CASWELL. I'm sure you remember them. HUGE hyd. cyl. mounted in frt of the tractor's grill, crossed chains to raise/lower the loader arms & bucket. In about the 1960/1962 time frame Dad got the Stan-Hoist that's sitting along side the shop now. The M was converted to live 2-way hyd. with the M&W kit. It was a huge improvement over the Caswell, but not quite built strong enough to survive the M. Lots of welding has been done to the mounts & frame of the loader.

The front cylinder mount from the Caswell has been "recycled" several times. It was the frt weight bracket for the 450 Farmall when the 4-bottom fully mounted Fast-Hitch plow was being used, and is now the frt mounting bracket for the loader on the Super H. Hard telling what the rest of that old loader was used to make. When you have a welder you NEVER throw any steel away.

Latest posts

Back