• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 31, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul - thanks for the info. I was certain I had seen a list of the production numbers by model and I don't think it was from Hank's book. Maybe it was in another book. Thanks for the info on the Wisc. Historical Society website.

With regard to the 169 - are you saying they were built or continued to be built "after" the production of the rest of the xx8/xx9 series ended????

Kraig - I had understood the 169 was built from July to Oct 1974 which would agree with Paul's info.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Harry,
Yes, from the information we received from Harold, production on the other models in the series had ended before production of the 169 started.

Paul - if the 169 was the only unit in production then by using your chart you could take the starting number for Nov. 1974 and subtract 4005 for number of 169s built and it should take you to July, but it doesn't. It takes you to mid Oct. Am I doing something wrong?

Hydro Harry

Well I`am here in limbo waiting for an answer on should I add washers to the rod cap bolts !!!!!!!!!!
235006.gif

Harry,
I'm only telling what I was told by an IH engineer,.Keep in mind, production of the series ended 10/74, and the QL production started in 10/74. Go here, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/ihc&CISOPTR=4641&CISOSHOW=4545 and you can look at the Louisville production figures from 1960 and later and see if you can decipher it. They come up kinda small in size, so for Nov 1 1973 through Oct 31 1974, look at the left side of the page, down toward the bottom of the page, because the pages list everything Louisville built. Some, but not all of the years list the Cub Cadet production by model, but you will have to look at all the year a model was produced to get a total.

Quick 16 hp Question.

I have read some posts here and there regarding the 16 hp engine used in the 169 and 1650.

Why do folks remove the balance gears from these engines?

Thanks!
Bill

Bill-The reason everyone takes out the balance gears in the 16hp engines is because they are a disaster waiting to happen. If run at high RPM's for a long period of time, they will eventually come out the side of your engine block... "windowing" as Ive heard of it. Taking them out will eliminate such problems.

BILL - The balance gears run on needle roller bearings and a steel shaft pressed into cast bosses inside the block. The bearings wear the shaft and themselves, they get loose on the shaft, and they beat the e-clip retaining ring out of the groove that holds them on the shaft.

When the e-ring flys off the gear comes out and hits the crankshaft and gets slammed back into the wall of the crankcase. Either the connecting rod will break or you'll punch a hole thru the side of the block. At 3600 RPM, the engine is rotating 60 times a second, so it happens REAL fast, too fast to react.

Result is an engine a garden tractor puller would pay $400-$500 for is junk.

Don-

I think the washers were only on the older rods and not the newer posi-lock ones. The rod should have come with instructions. Check the current version of the service manual, as well- it should have something to say about the different styles.

Denny-

I don't think the 984 or 986 were ever labeled that way on the decals...they were still 982s, just like a 784 is a 782 with front hydraulics, and is labeled as a 782. On another forum, they insist we call a 782 with front hydraulics a 784, even though the hood says 782...that does nothing but create confusion.

Latest posts

Back