• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 31, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,

I agree with everything said.... if could get a 1650 for $300 dollars my post would be look at my "new" 1650, not should I buy it.....

The Quietlines are a great machine, I love mine... I like the wideframes (1x8/9, 1x00/50, and the 82 series red ones). There is more room to work, the tunnel cover that is removable is a really nice feature. I would but another quietline without hesitation, they are a really good machine.

I believe my fondness of the 149 (like Kraig and those ugly Zig-Zag's) is it was the first one that I had used / experience with. The #1 149, as we call it, has been with us since 1978 35+ years, and I was born in 1974, so I have literally grown up with this tractor. Other have come and gone, but this one has always been there, doing everything we ask of it. When we had only 1 it was the only, now between the two of us we have 6, and if they were all sitting there, ready to do what I needed, I would jump on that one first.

With any IH Cub Cadet, you can't go wrong.... they are all great machines, and each have their own "personalities".... if taken care of, any will last a lifetime.... unlike anything you may find today.....

Dennis, I work at a company that builds engines...Believe me,These old K-Series engines are VERY over engineered by todays standards..I have no dought they can hold up with out the balance gears in..If they built these engines today, They would be putting out 20 H.P. and the bean counters would have the blocks and other parts so "leaned out" they would have to sell them at home improvement stores instead of dealerships..Oh wait a minute, I guess they DO do that!...lol

Question for the EXPERTS. Has ANYONE ever seen a CC with the model numbers 984 or 986 on them?

It would be a 982 with the options, steering brakes, Cat 0 3-pt, frt aux remotes, rear PTO.

My Hotline Farm Equip. price guide shows them as being SGT's. Was it a "Type" or "Kind" Code for the 982's?

Hey guys, I was thinking of putting a chrome stack on my tractor but I don't know how to get that elbow out from the exhaust port on the block of the tractor. Would a torch hurt the block or is there a better way. It is rusted in and I already tried pb blaster.

Bill, I bought my 1650 over 10 years ago. It came with a deck needing repair, a QA42A snowthrower, and a complete canvas cab enclosure for $400. I thought that was a steal and did not hesitate on it. I had to install a new governor spring and after having it a couple years, I had to replace the hydro unit. I do not believe the previous owner ever change the hydraulic oil so that is why the hydro starting slipping and losing power. But at the same token, at our Plow Days it would keep up with 782's and even stay ahead of a souped up 14hp gear drive one year. You know they only go 6.7 mph and a hydro will go 8. The power of that K341 is almost unstoppable. I enjoy watching the snow come out of the chute when throwing snow. I feel sorry for any one or any thing that gets in the way of that snow. After it is repaired, you will enjoy it. Even working it at plow days and throwing snow, it only uses about 1 gal. per hour, about the same as my 129 does mowing grass. I took the balance gears out last fall and did the rail mod to it. It vibrates a little more at mid range but wide open and idle are about the same.

Denny F.
HUH!
1a_scratchhead.gif

Does a serial number breakdown list exist, for how many of each model were built?

Charlie - where is the list of how many of each model were built. I thought I used to have a copy of Paul's list but can't find it. I also can't find it in the FAQ or your FAQ.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

CHARLIE - I got in a discussion over @ RPM about 982's. Supposedly CCC/MTD made an SGT with 984 & 986 badging. (An here I thought only FARMALL made 986's, 105 HP tractor with a D436 diesel?!?!)

I know CCC was doing all kinds of funny things with model numbers, they made an 1806 w/CI 3-spd & creeper, 1810 hydro w/manual lift, 1811 hydro w/hyd lift, & 1812 hydro w/Hyd lift & aux remotes. On the SGT's they made a 1911 & 1912 before the 1872 & 2072's.

My Hotline Equip guide shows them all PLUS the 984 & 986 CC's. But I've never seen a tractor badged with those numbers.

Dennis: Hank Will (well, his book, anyway) tells me (pg. 70) that the 984 is like the 982 with rear PTO and 3-point hitch. 986 like 984 with front hydraulic outlets. Production ended in 1984. Last night I thought Charlie's "Huh?" was his usual quiet, subtle way of reminding that they aren't pre-1981.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Charlie, Harry.
The listing I put together is the Monthly Production Records with the begining S/N for the month. I does not break it down by the number of each model produced, but if you want to do some research, you can now find some of those records on-line in the McCormick records collection on the Wisconsin Historical Society web site.
Harry, the monthly S/N list is item 28 in the FAQ's.

I have Hank's book with me at work today. I will shortly be posting some production numbers by model, I just have to a bit of typing and some math as some are just S/N ranges.

OK, here's some info. Please note that for the Original I've only listed the number of production units and have not included the known prototypes.

Original S/N range: 590-65457. Original units built: 64,867.

70/100 S/N range: 65458-127160. Model 70 units built: 22,600. Model 100 units built: 39,102.

71,1x2/3 S/N range: 127161-218009. Model 71 units built: 11,072. Model 102 units built: 30,615. Model 122 units built: 30,989. Model 123 units built: 16,318. Note production of the 123 started with S/N: 157490.

72,1x4/5 S/N range: 218010-306085. Model 72 units built: 9,881. No production number data for the 104, 124, 105 or 125 models.

73,1x6/7 S/N range: 307000-400000. Model 73 units built: 7,678. Model 106 units built: 16,635. Model 107 units built: 10,846. Model 126 units built: 5,247. Model 127 units built: 25,485. Model 147 units built: 15,678. Note production of the 147 started with S/N: 316816.

86,1x8/9 S/N range: 400001-529811. Model 86 units built: 8,489. No production number data for the 108, 128, 109, 129 or 149 models. Model 169 units built: 4,005. Note production of the 169 started with S/N: 506737.

Quiet Line Series S/N range: 530001-664996. Model 800 units built: 2,345. No production number data for the 1000, 1100, 1200, 1250, 1450 or 1650 models.

82 Series S/N range: 665001-700000. No production number data for the 482, 582, 582S, 682, 782 or 982 models.

This might be it... If I can find more data I'll update it.

Figure I should add this:

There were 25 Pre-production Original units built starting with S/N 501. Several of these are know to still exist. There were 10 prototype Originals built S/N range of 401-410 only one of these are know to still exist, which is S/N 409. There were 3 engineering or experimental units built one of these is know to exist S/N 411.

Paul, please correct me if I got any of this wrong, and/or add any info you think should be included.
happy.gif

Kraig
Not so sure about the 169 starting with S/N 506737, that would have been in April 1974. Information Jim Chabot and I received from Harold Schramn indicated the production of the 169 started later in the year (Jul/Aug) after production of the rest of the series had ended, but I haven't checked the model production figures/time-frame on the WHS web site.

Besides the 25 test units, S/N 501-525, production conintued on a limited basis to get the assembly line setup, test manufactoring(sp) methods, and establish piece work prices. Those tractors carried S/N's in the 526-589 range, but it is not known if all the numbers were used. I owned S/N 556 at one time, went to Arizona to get it. It had been sold new in Nebraska IIRC, and was traded back to the dealer a year later and resold. The buyer later moved to Arizona and used it until the deck jumped time, and parked it. The third owner bought it and repainted it, and later listed it for sale in the Jan 2003 issue of Red Power Magazine. I was the first to call about it, had to leave a message because the owner was out of town for the Christmas/New Year holidays, and I was given first refusal when he returned. Made a rather quick trip to Scottsdale, AZ to get it and had to outrun a snow storm from AZ to OK to get home. That tractor now lives in PA.

FRANK - I guess I should have looked that up myself, Hank's book is an arm's length away from my 'puter chair.

Appears 982's by IH are red, the MTD 984/986 are yellow/white like the 784 & 882.

KRAIG - Interesting numbers there. It's interesting how the numbers for the small 7-8 HP models dropped over the years.

For as bad as everybody talks about those lovely Zig-Zag grill tractors IH sure built a lot of them, and I bet most of them are still earning their keep.

WHAT a screwed up mess they made of things there for a few years!

Guys I took my 12 K engine apart this am for two reasons.

1. when I filed the rings I must have left a sharp edge on one ring and it was leaving a scratch. I refiled it to clean up the edges.
2. I don`t get this (install connecting rod cap,lock and cap screws to connecting rod K-241 and K -301 use flat washer for lock.The oil hole in the cap is on the camshaft side of the engine When properly installed.)

Well this 10 over rod had no washers ! should I add any washer ???

Paul, thanks for the additional info. The production numbers and series S/N info I gleaned from Hanks book "Cub Cadet, The First 45 Years". Perhaps Hank has a typo on that 169 S/N.
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif
The extra info on the Original was posted partly from memory and partly from Hanks book.

All this talk of a 169 , Well what this 125 gets finished I will have a 300 lb drag ready to break all the parts in. work em till they get hot pulling and drive them around till they cool down some, Then do it again, end this with a rest and cool down re torque and another pull. The 129 K loved it and is a strong runner.Kraig heres is the start of a 125
235000.jpg

old.gif

Latest posts

Back