• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 21, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob:
Just tell me where that 1650 is, I'll go pick it ....er I mean diagnose the problem... As bulletproof as the hydro units are, I'd guess it'd be a combination of things like plugged filter, misadjusted or warn hydro linkage and bad fluid (close to the TSC store on Grand River? - maybe they didn't go to Garlocks/7 Islands for their Hytran before that went belly up...). Good hunting, keep us posted!!

If you're wondering what I know about GL...I delivered the Journal to Garlock's when they were on North Bridge at Main street....that would have been in the late 50's, before they moved to Orchard, or long before the Smiths moved them out on Saginaw. That was when IH was still pretty big stuff in the area..
clappy.gif

Gerry,

Thanks for your input. I may go look at this unit this weekend sometime. I'll bet you probably already know where it is and the story behind it!! I'll let you know what happens.

In the meantime, I did manage to trade a couple of broken snowmobiles for this 129 built in 1972.

194419.jpg

I've only been around this end of town since Y2K, although I did spend about 18 years before that living next to Spags Party Store. I know more about Ottawa Equipment up in East Tawas than GL.

Rob

Dennis F. My folks had a CASWELL loader first on the H and then the M. Not a bad loader until a friend sprung it while trying to push over dead trees in the grove one day. I left the farm before I found out what happened to it.

Kraig M. If I recall William DeTurk got a 9 speed original from just south of where we live here in Iowa. I often wonder if he got the one that I'd heard about and couldn't track down. Also... I'll try and remember to check a snowthrower that I have for some good decals.

Chris R. Cute little future Cub owner there.

Rick Albert. Didn't you once make a set of steel wheels for an Original using firetruck rims? All I remember is someone was willing to make a set for me for $300.00 at the time.

Robert C. About your 1650's hydro problem... FIRST check page 18 15U Series Service Manual. Yours isn't that bad of a problem if the tractor hasn't been totally beaten to death which it sounds like it hasn't.

Kraig,
The other steel wheel "O" from Indiana that I am aware of, other than Urschels, is owned by John Elrod, from Salem Indiana, and it is not one of those pictured. His is pictured on page 97 of the 2003 RPRU show book if you have one of those. So I don't know who's that is with the Flail mower on it, since it is not Urschel's.

194422.gif

Jeff B. Try this when swapping the non ported section with your ported section.

FIRST make sure everything on the pump AND working area is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN.

Make a stand of some kind that will hold the 15U so that the aluminum piece is the piece being held securely and the cast iron part is facing straight up. Place the pump that you want to become the ported pump in this holder.

Next remove all the bolts and set them in a holder to make reinstallng in the proper holes easier. Carefully lift up on the cast iron piece until it is free of the shaft. Your valveplates MAY slip off the housing when removing the cast piece. DON'T PANIC!!!

Here is how to tell which is for the pump and which is for the motor. Look at both of them and you will notice that one has ONE small groove leading into the bigger slotted area. THIS is the one for the pump. The pump section is the section with the shaft sticking upward. (Same shaft that you will install a new seal for). The other valveplate has TWO GROOVES or one on each side of the bigger slot. This is because the pump only rotates counter clockwise while the motor rotates either direction thus giving the forward/reverse movement. Footnote; Each valveplate has two Major slots. Thus the pump valveplate will have TWO Major slots, each with ONE little lead in groove. Self explanatory for the motor valveplate.

The purpose of the groove(s) is for a smoother and quieter transistion into the desired rotation. There is also a notched area on the outer circumference of each valveplate. That notched area fits around the pin sticking out of the kidney section of the cast iron housing. When you reassemble the pump BE SURE to have each valveplate secured with that notch around the pin. You will know that the valveplate is installed correctly if it sits flat against the surface.

Remove your old seal using the wood/metal screw method that Donald T. talked about.

Now to hold those valveplates onto the cast iron housing while you slip the cast iron piece over the shaft and set it down.... ( I assume that you've used brake cleaner to clean and dry the surface areas).... use either grease or vaseline on the bottom of the valveplate to act as a holding agent.

Okay ... you've set the ported housing onto the aluminum section. Install your bolts and retorque to spec. There is no pattern so make your own up.

Now before you install the new seal here is where some of the guys on the Forum can give you their suggestions as to what to use for a bullet (Protector) of the seal so that you don't accidently cut it while installing it. They probably have better ideas than mine so let them speak.

Once the seal is installed and before putting the pump back on your Cub Cadet don't forget to prime the critter with oil. 15Us are not self priming. You should now be ready to reinstall on your Cub and be on your way to adding power steering.

If at anytime you have questions don't fret about asking. If you can post pictures so we can give you a better perspective. AND keep us posted...

Kraig M. You are correct with the gentleman being a Robbie S. I was wrong in thinking that it was Rick Albert. I have Robbie's e:mail address. Robbie S. is the one that made the steel wheels for his Original using old firetruck rims.

Jeff-

In addition to Marlin's excellent advice, keep the service manual handy...it's actually pretty good, and has the dimensions for the stand for the hydro unit. I made one when I had to open one of mine up once, and it helps a lot.

One last thing...make sure you put the charge pump back on exactly as it came off, or it probably won't work.

Matt & marlin

Guys I used a plastic milk crate to hold my pump from moving around when I replaced the shaft. I will use it again if need arises lol. I don`t want to build something and not be able to remember were I stored it the last time I put it somewhere I thought I would always remember where I put it .
clappy.gif

Harry B

Who am I today Dan or Don lol.

What a day I had ! Seven hrs install a compressor and air bag system on my truck.I`am bushed
old.gif

Kraig I believe that the original at Steve B's plowday was Andy Blunier's Father-in-law's Bob. I know Steve and his dad help with the creation of the steel wheels. The spoke pattern in Bob's and in Urshel's are different. Just my .02cents

Latest posts

Back