• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 11, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
What is the difference between the K241A (used on the 100) and the K241AS installed in the later models?
1a_scratchhead.gif

The A stands for special oil pan, and the S means electric start, but the 100 has electric start too.
uhoh.gif

Not sure what all the differences in oil pans are, I try not to play with Q/Ls. The K241 AS starter is a Bendix style starter that engages a ring gear on the flywheel like an automotive starter, and the charging system is moving magnets inside the flywheel moving past coils mounted on the blower plate under the flywheel. Not the combination belt-driven starter and generator like the 100 and most other CC's used.

The Q/L's I thought used a "AQS" spec engine, special cooling shrouding (Q),as well as the oil pan and starter differences.

I was referring to the cubs that were made in the 60's. (102,104) In other words, does the 102,104 have the same engine as the 100? According to what I've read, they don't.
Thanks,

Marty G.,
I always thought the 60's/early 70's cubs intended for an "electric start" (S code) meant that it was to get a Starter/Generator pulley, rather than a "recoil starter" setup.

As Dennis F. indicated, the Quiet-Line (Q/L) Cubs (10/74 - 6/80) were equipped with a starter that had a gear bendix that engaged into a ring gear on the engine.

What differences have you noted in your reading between the 100 and the 102/104 engines?

Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

Marty I don't know what you've read. I know that at some point they started casting 301 in the block and those blocks may have the ability to be bored all the out to 0.30 over 14hp. What differences have you read about?

Bob G., the Original at the top of the page used to belong to Bryan McMeen. He and Dan Hoefler restored it. Perhaps more correctly stated Dan restored it with Bryan's help. Here are some photos of it before and during the restoration:

193821.jpg

Before. The dozer blade that was on it is now in my possession waiting to be refurbished. Bryan sold it to me for a ridiculously low price.

193822.jpg

Bryan at work.

193823.jpg

Bryan at the parts cleaner.

193824.jpg

Dan sand blasting parts.

193825.jpg

Fresh paint.

193826.jpg

More fresh paint.

193827.jpg

Just needs decals.

193828.jpg

Here's the mower deck from it. This is also in my possession waiting restoration. Bryan sold this to me, again for a ridiculously low price complete with new decals.
happy.gif

Greetings from Georgia

I am hoping someone can help me with a couple or 4 questions on a 124 wiring diagram.
193831.jpg

I am trying to figure out what are the items numbered 1-3.

Number 4 is my big question. On the diagram where it shows one wire crossing over another does it have meaning other than the direction it is heading?

Thanks

Bill

Bill Z.,
#1,2,3 are tab connectors. #4 just shows the wire crossing over other wires, no meaning.

Dave, Ryan,
It just says that the 100 has the K241A, and the 102 & 104 has the K241AS.

Bill 2 & 3 are conectors 4 is the main power lead to the coil and hook to the I-ignition post on ignition switch. I don't know what 1 is unless it's just a pigtail connector for something.

Melody,

Click on the July 6, 2010 archive at the top of this page. Near the top of the archive page Kraig posted some nice pics of the bar and bracket that attaches to the rear of the tractor. I will use that as my template.

Kraig & Marty

Thanks for the pics and info.

My 71 had the same tire setup as Bryan's Original. Is anything similar to that still available? I really like the look of the firestone rears and that design on the sides of the front.

I should really bring my hard copy parts book for all NF CC's into the house from the shop. It'd make answering questions like this so much easier.

MARTY - If I had to guess, I'd say the same replacement engine is used in the 100, 102, and 104. The factory installed engines "MAY" have had some differences but about the only things I can think of that may be different are things like no ACR on the early 100, and maybe no mounting holes for a fuel pump.

The K241 I have on my engine stand right now that will go into my 70 doesn't have the fuel pump mount. I helped Dad remove it from a 104 back in about '85 but I seriously doubt it was the "Factory Engine". But the K301 & 321's I rebuilt had them. They've all had ACR though.

Some frequent posters here like Paul Bell, Roland, etc have access to Kohler parts manuals that explode Kohler spec. numbers into proper parts lists. I only have IH parts manuals, circa 1981 for NF and about 2000 for the 982. A lot of the numbers come up NLA but a surprisingly large number are still good and give a current part number which I normally walk out with from my dealer.

KRAIG - Are you posting pic's to gauge interest is a "Field trip" we discussed this spring?

Denny, nope, just posting as a response to Bob P.'s query on who restored the Original at the top of the page.

I am having a problem with my 48" mower deck on my 149. The right hand spindle keeps unscrewing itself and coming apart. At first, when I tightened the 9/16" bolt/grease fitting, it was so tight that the blade would not turn. Looseing it would make it unscrew and come apart. I replaced the pulley, spacers and bearings and solved the tightness problem. I tightened the bolt down and it worked for about 10 minutes and came apart again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Well, I see that the value of O's has taken flight .....maybe the economy <u>is</u> on the rebound
clappy.gif

Bob, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will also use as template, Mel

Latest posts

Back