• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 11, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JEFF B - Don't let the carbon deposits on the head, piston top & valves bother you. Other than it looks like the head gasket leaked a L-O-T, it really doesn't look that bad. Try to get as much of that oil & crude off the cylinder fins as possible. Oil is a great insulator.

If you read & study the notes & comments in the University of Nebraska Tractor Test reports, decades ago when lots of ag tractors had flat-head or also called side-valve engines it was actually common for the tests to be stopped and the carbon deposits removed to restore performance during the short 45-50 hours of running during the tests.

Another wise comment I read years ago, modified slightly to fit the subject of K-series Kohlers, "There's only a few grams of metal difference between a new engine and a totally worn out one. The important thing is where those grams of metal come from."

Well it stopped Raining ! I will have to get at this Cub storage building and get some more down before it rains again.
193910.jpg

Don`t ever buy a barbeque in a box
bash.gif
. I followed the directions and well it took 9 hrs to put together. I would have done better if I would have burnt the directions lol.
193911.jpg

DON - I used to work at a company that made about three MILLION BBQ grills a year, actually only took them about 4-5 months to build them all, along with 400 to 500 thousand drinking fountains I bought parts for.

I bought my first grill pre-assembled from the plant. Even the tiny pointer on the LP gas gauge had to be "installed". The first grill from every batch went to QA and someone assembled it and made sure all the parts were in the box. Those QA people assembled them in about 45 to 60 minutes. All I had to do was wheel it out to my truck, Plant Guard helped me load it, got a full bottle of gas, some brat's & buns, and went home to cook supper.

Last grill I bought 2-3 yrs ago I had to ask my Wife to help assemble and "Interpret" the instructions. For some reason the directions like "Assemble plate A to hole in tube R with fastener Q" made sense to Her. I kept trying to figure out how to use POWER TOOLS to speed the operation up or WELD the darn thing together.

NOW, to get this back on topic, Yes, burning grill assembly directions is probably a good but operator's manuals, service manuals, and parts books are GOOD things when working on Cub Cadets.

How do you tell if thh set on a non-adjustable carb on 782 is shot?

Kraig Did Fairbanks-Morse make recoils for the Originals ? I have a new recoil that is pretty close to the one you posted but its not open at the bottom for the belt.

Greg J., I have no idea who it was that made the recoils. Paul Bell, Craig Carney, Art Aytay or one of the other recoil start aficionados will have to post on it.
blush.gif

STEVE B. - What is a "thh set on a non-adjustable carb on 782"? Then maybe we can tell you when it's wore out and if it can be fixed.

This isn't "Twitter", you can type ALL DAY LONG on posts here. ;-) And we all, especially Kraig like pictures too.

Donald,
That's not a Brinkman grill is it? I have one and the crossover channels burnt up in about 18 months. I ordered four of them ($33.00) back in March. Cancelled my order last week because they were still on backorder from who knows where. They said they were having trouble with their factory overseas. Found some thin stainless and made my own. That's my first and last Brinkman!

Terry,
Here's a couple of pics of a Brinley spring assist still attached to the lift bar.
193916.jpg

193917.jpg

I have a IH 782 that I am slowly getting put back together after rescuing it from neglect. The previous owner had complained to me that he couldn't keep the grill on and kept breaking the springs. I didn't mess with it right away since I don't live where the tractor is stored and only get short times to work on it between other projects. I tried to put it together this past weekend and found the grill was hitting the exhaust. I had a parts 682 nearby and put the grill on it and it slid into place exactly as it should. Has anyone ever run into this while restoring a 82 series tractor and is this a clue that I should be looking for a more serious problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Back