• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hello Again All/Cub Cadet 86 Throttle Linkage Setup

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsdrake

displayname
Billy Drake
Hello Again All,

It has been quite some time since I last posted to the site. I am very sorry about all of this. Many things in life sort of took precedence over my Cubs, so I have not been as active here as I need to be. Perhaps I will make a new thread in The Sandbox so I can catch up with everybody. Anyway, during the pandemic, I acquired not one, not two, but three Cubs; two 86's and a 1250. The 1250 sort of gave herself up for my 108. One of the 86's has a bad frame; somebody decided to cut the front part of it off, and bolted a piece of sheet metal in its place. The second 86, however, has a very solid frame. The 86 with the bad frame came with the correct 8hp Kohler. The other 86 came with a 10hp. When I brought them home, neither ran; the 10 horse needed a carb, points/condenser, and it ran good. The 8 horse had a stuck intake valve. I freed it up, put a new head gasket on it, rebuilt the carburetor, put new points/condenser/coil on it, and it fired up and ran pretty good.

I am in the process of tearing down all three, and so far I have the 86 with the bad frame pretty much stripped. The other 86 with the good frame is not too far behind it. I do not have the tools needed to do a complete restoration, but I am going to build one 86, and make it mechanically and electrically sound. The only thing I am not sure about is the throttle linkage setup on an 86, it is different than on the bigger engines. If someone could please post a few pics of what it is supposed to look like, I would be very grateful.

Also, for those interested, I finally replaced the fender pan on my 108 (it came from the 1250). The engine is in need of a rebuild now. It is burning oil, and does smoke some now. I will be swapping engines during the winter, with the 10 horse from one of my 86's, and hopefully sometime next year will rebuild the original 10 horse for the 108. The rebuild will depend on if I have to send it out to have it bored or not.

Finally, I know you all are busy, and this has been a long thread, so I won't bother you all much longer, but I wanted to say that according to my profile, it has been 10 years since I joined this site. I have enjoyed my time here, I have enjoyed learning from all of you, directly or indirectly, and I have enjoyed getting to know you guys. I know I don't visit as often as I should, I do apologize for that. I will try and be more active on the forum in the future. Thank you all.

Back