• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 11, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan W
Quote: <blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I always thought the 60's/early 70's cubs intended for an "electric start" (S code) meant that it was to get a Starter/Generator pulley, rather than a "recoil starter" setup.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
The "S" means electric start, and before the AQS engines came about with the Quietline models, the only electric start available was the starter generator. The only engines with recoil start that IH used in the Cub Cadets was the 7 hp K161T with a retractable (recoil) starter. The K161S had electric start. The recoil starter was standard equipment on the 7 hp K161 used in the Cub Cadets, and electric start was an option, except for the model 73 which was the only 7 hp model that had electric start as standard equipment. The Original had the recoil starter mounted on the back of the blower housing, but the 70, 71, 72 had it mounted on a plate, called a coffin plate because of its shape, that was mounted on the front (PTO end) of the engine. The recoil unit was at the top of the plate with a belt down to the same starter generator pulley mounted on the crankshaft that was used on the electric start tractors. The recoil start 70, 71, 72 used the the K161T engine.

So, the "S" stands for electric start. It does not mean the engine got a starter generator pulley rather than a recoil starter.

Kraig do you have any photos to show what Paul is talking about?
I love learning new cub facts...

Morning Guys

Its been raining here for 3 days.the lawn needs mowing now for sure and the cub storage building is not getting finished as planned. My pool will soon overflow from all this rain.I will post a picture of the shed later if it stops raining lol.

Don i am getting my second rain in six weeks. Haven't mowed the lawn in three weeks. The grass is brown and the garden almost dead. The cub cadets are resting in the barn and i am gathering up implements for them to pull. Found a brand new never used 10" mold board plow and a rear blade and potatoe diging plow for cheap last week. The guy was on the way to the scrap yard with them. I am going to have to add some storage space or quit buying soon. My O has been sanded and primered for 3 years now. Still no paint on it. Will post pictures later.

Jeff B., what part of Paul's info did you want photos of? The two versions of recoil start setups?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Terry R., as promised, the Brinly Spring Assist photos:

193877.jpg

193878.jpg

193879.jpg

193880.jpg

193881.jpg

193882.jpg

193883.jpg

193884.jpg

193885.jpg

Jeff B., here are some recoil start Cub Cadets. First up is an Original.

193888.jpg

193889.jpg

193890.jpg

193891.jpg

Next is a model 70.

193892.jpg

193893.jpg

All photos are of Cub Cadets that Art Aytay has/had.

Kraig Sorry I wasnt clear on what I wanted to see, I was confused but understand pauls letter now.

I was thinking the recoil model had a S/G but now I undertsand that the recoil uses the same pully from the S/G not the entire S/G.

Is the coffin plate he referred to in the photos?

and by the way great photos Kraig

Any suggestions on the best places to get a carb rebuild kit and fuel pump? Thanks for any help. I have a KT-17

I need some help to ID my tractor year. I look for the SN# put could not find one. Is there anyother way? I want to restore it this winter, any help you can give me like where to buy parts at a good price or anything at all Thank you Jim. Rearend #12 20 L on left side 385058 R1 L2

KRAIG - About 9-10 years ago I helped a manufacturer of CC restoration parts up around Osh Kosh get hold of some springs for making lift assist kits, can't remember if they were Brinley's or IH's. You didn't happen to get one of THOSE kits did you? Seems like my supplier only had 4-5 sample springs. I can't remember exactly how things were handled either, if I got the springs for free and sent them to him or if He bought them himself.

Guess I'm just curious how the assists worked. I think one ended up in Tennessee, another in the Chicago area. Not sure where the rest went.

Jim P., WELCOME!
wave.gif
groupwave.gif
wave.gif

Did you read in the FAQ the entry that shows the various places to look for the S/N? If not here's a LINK Also if you can describe your tractor that will give us something to go on. BTW, any relation to Charlie or Bob?
dunno.gif

Denny, nope mine is an actual Brinly. If you look close you can see the rust pitting that I painted over when I cleaned it up. And, BTW, I did get your hint about a road trip, I'm in.
Shift.gif

In hindsight, I should have taken side by side comparison photos of my Brinly spring assist and the Narrow Frame <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> spring assist that I have in the shed.
bash.gif
Oh well I can easily do that anytime as I know where both are located, no digging and searching required, just a few minutes to grab all the parts and lay them out for a photo shoot. I might do that some evening this week if we get a rainy evening.
193899.gif

pulled my k301 apart due to heavy oil usage and smoking,
looks like engine work time
193903.jpg

193904.jpg

Kraig,
Thanks a bunch on the Brinly assist spring photos. And yes, I would love to see pictures of the IH assist springs, especially with the ruler in them. I might take a look on how easy it would be to build one similar to IH's, but with a simplistic approach to it.

Terry R., OK I will try to take photos of them ASAP. I like having photos like those in my archive anyway.
happy.gif

Charlie,
193906.gif

Latest posts

Back