• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 07, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Peck:

The large nut is actually part of the pulley! Soaking the sharf area with penetrating oil and leaving it overnight may help. Be careful removing the pulleys as they bend easily.

Ryan:

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks. I hope your recovery goes well. Yikes 12 feet! That's gotta hurt!!!

Michael - That toothed timing belt to run the outer spindles on that 38" 2-bladed deck cost $22 clear back in 1962 and 1963. That's why Dad got rid of His 1961 Cub Cadet and got a model 70 with the three bladed 38" deck. Secret to long life with those belts is to run them loose. Get them too tight and You hit something and the belt snaps. When run as tight as the specs show there's no way for the belt to slip. Dad happened to talk to the second owner of that 1961 Cub Cadet MANY years later (over 10) and as opposed to the Belt a Year We broke He had only broken one in 10+ yrs.

Ryan-
I'm thinking "hand clutch" (or a TA with a neutral center!) dunno what to tell you about brakes, maybe you'll just have to drive around with a plow, drop the plow when you want to stop
happy.gif

Michael Johnson-
You bet there's a Cub Cadet network! Served a few miles myself. You'd be suprised the amount of "interstate Cub-comerce" that happens around Plow Days.

WYATT - I'm thinking jusr modify a clutch pedal for right foot clutching/braking. It'll be like the newer Deeres then! ;-)

Jim Patchett>
The govener is not in play as of now, It is not hooked up to the carb.
I checked the throttle shaft for slop and there is evry little.
I changed the carb with one with more throttle shaft slop in it and now the engine runs fine.
So my guess now is I need to find someone to boil out this carb and give it a good cleaning befor it will work decent.
Thanks for the link on the service manual.

Hello I haven't been on in a while and I've had a problem with my 1450. I can't get the engine to turn over with the ignition switch. I took the suggestion about the PTO switch, rebuilt the old one and then replaced it, along with the ignition switch ,checked the fuses and wires and still don't know what to do. I cranked a few times with the switch on and hot wiring it but it will only turn over and not crank. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated . James

James Crews

Check out the ground strap on your battery. I had one with similar problems once. You can just make up a temp strap and give it a try. Good Luck

Ryan

My wife had a similar ankle injury a number of years ago. Her foot turned 180 degrees and yes they screw the p#$%% out of it to keep it on but after a few years our Dr. at the time backed them all out. I would suggest you do the same if you can as the winter months are miserable with that metal in a joint. Good Luck

Gentlemen:

I used the link in Jim Patchett's post to Lonny Buttke for the Kohler engine web site to get a K 161 engine service manual. Did anyone else try this? When printing, did anyone else experience having the first page print fine and the other 136 pages print backwards (mirror image)?

Hi Ben,
Did you save it to disk first?
I save mine to desktop so I have it for reference on my PC.
You can open it on the desktop and print it then.
Try printing just one of the pages as a test.
Mike

Michael J. Looks like you got some work to do on that thar Original deck... Make sure you time the deck or you will run the blades into each other. Metal spinning at 60MPH at the tips hitting each other is not a good sound.
sad.gif

Hi Jeff,
Yeppers, that's why I'm rebuilding it.
I had a "What's that noise?" experience.
My cogs have worn out.

Craig "C",
In the "Old Days" they used to call the compactors a "Sheepsfoot". Well the "Horsefoot" surely has the clay, gravel, and whatever compacted into a near concete state. Even the Great Cub Cadet has it's limitations. I think you're S.O.L.
thumbsdown.gif

Tom H. -

Speaking of which...

I'm gonna give ya a call tomorrow evening
wink.gif

Bryan,

Thanks for the part!! Mowing was nice this evening, didn't have to watch the cable at all.
wink.gif

Ryan,
Bummer to the n'th degree man
sad.gif
Speedy recovery to you, but take it easy anyway.

Dennis,
That cog belt only cost $34.91 but, the two pulleys cost $109.00 and $62.00 respectively.
The bearings were another $80.00 but, I figure if I have to mess with it I want it to last another 40 years.
I'll get the deck blasted/welded and painted so it looks good.
I just know one of you guys will post pictures showing what it should look like.

Kraig-

Thanks for the front PTO hint-that was exactly the problem. Bearing is missing balls in addition to being stuck.

That's the last thing you need, a clutch with no balls!
clappy.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist one corny joke!

Ryan Mull
Sorry to hear of your accident, hope you are on the mend soon. When the time is right try and get all the Physical therapy you can get and you will benefit in the long haul. I think at times like this we all should look at the things we do and make sure we are following all the safety rules.

Some people have asked about the hoist that I built. I purchased the electric winch from Harbor Freight, it is 120 vac and rated at 220 lbs single cable and 440 lbs double cable. I hooked it on the back of the cub single cable and it lifted it like it wasn't even there. It was built for Cubs and never any intention of using it on full size tractors or cars or trucks.

As far as plans, everything I build comes straight out of my head, never drew up any plans on anything I built. If anybody wants to build one I would be happy to send you digital photos and give you any dimensions you want.

Anything I build and post on this Forum is here for everyone here to benefit from, all I ask is please don't post it on another Forum without at least giving me a mention. I did see something I put an awful lot of time into to design and build and then saw it posted on another Forum as someone elses idea, that kind of stings.

I would like to say that I have always been impressed with the way Kraig can reach into his bag and pull out a picture of anything someones asks about and not only does he have the information, he always gives credit to the person that it came from.

There are so many good ideas that come to this Forum from so many people the least we can do is give credit where credit is due.

Off my soapbox now.

Latest posts

Back