• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 29, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdiederichs

displayname
Jim Diederichs
Harry,

The old stuff was often "recycled" to another tire. Otherwise it made a great mix to keep the dust down on gravel roads.

Is EW still a viable company now?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Jim - I guess it would keep the dust down. Say Dennis posted a link to TITAN history yesterday. It shows EWC being bought by Firestone in 1957, and then Firestone shutting down their wheel operations in 1982 due to strike in the ag business (wonder who that was) and selling some of their assets to Titan. Dennis noted all roads seem to lead to Titan. It's interesting history and worth the review if you didn't see it. There was a little side road where Titan sold off some assets to Carlisle.

HARRY - The "JA" is a rim contour style code established by the Tire, Rim & Wheel Mfgr's Association. It sets guidelines for the ID of the rim where the wheel center gets welded in and how wide that diameter is and other critical dimensions.

As to why it's upside-down, I imagine they're loose number & letter dies and can be installed either way. As long as they're there is all that matters. When identifying parts the people at the rim/wheel company would look for their part number.

And as for Dad's wrong color tractor, Well, the whole neighborhood was going green. Dad had the model R diesel back around 1964 for a few months and was lucky enough to sell it for what he paid for it, and he had a "styled" 1940 2-cyl B, and the 4010 he bought in Dec.'68. I can't remember for sure but think the 4010 came on the farm a year before the B. After a bad day of green tractor problems Dad told me when we were coming in that night that, "I always try to keep ONE of those $^@&# green things around to remind me to NEVER Buy another one." Words I still LIVE BY!, except I don't have ANY green tractors. We had problems with the red tractors from time-to-time, but they always seemed to get the job done on time one way or another. The problems we had with the 4010 were many and expensive to fix for a tractor that was only five years old when he got it and had already been over-hauled. Dad had looked at a 930 or 1030 Case the week before he bought the 4010, and had been looking for a 706 or 806 for several months but just couldn't find an IH that was newer or better than his 450 he'd had for four yrs. Neighbor got rid of his Allis for a new green tractor so Dad jumped ship too. I always look at it that if Dad had gotten a good newer IH tractor he might not have been as willing to quit farming in '72 to work for Grow Mark Industries, FS, Farm Services, one of the largest feed, fuel, fertilizer co-ops in the midwest and get his Teamster pension to retire on.

Dad bought the 4010 Dec. 11th of '68. After Christmas he took it to town for all four new tires, new paint, expensive tune-up, should have been like a new tractor. But the first day we plowed with it, it burned FIVE quarts of oil per tank of fuel and never stopped until we did a major over-haul of the engine winter of '71. And the ONLY time we didn't have problems with it was the 6-8 months of every year it sat in the shed. Once the corn & beans were cultivated it didn't run again until spring unless we fall plowed or used it a few days to pull the combine combining oats in July. I remember working on it more than I do running it, and I ran it a lot. Every year the small profit Dad made from a little operation like ours went back into that tractor for repairs throughout the year. No money left for updating anything else like getting rid of the mounted corn picker & pull type combine and getting a self-propelled combine, or a new planter, or something else that would have made us some money. It was a nice tractor to run for light jobs like cultivating corn/beans, after a second tune-up to correct what the first one screwed up it handled our smaller equipment fine, but about 20-30 operating hours after that tune-up I blew the head gasket plowing that fall. So it got a complete engine rebuild that winter. Ran fine spring of '72 but the throw-out bearing in the engine clutch went out summer of '72 when Dad was mowing weeds with it one day. It got hauled off to the shop for repair and was sold to the son of one of Dad's HS classmates and never came back to our farm. It was a MONEY PIT... ALWAYS reaching into your pocket for more money for repairs.

See why I run IH Cub Cadets now?
ihrotate.gif

Geesh it took me forever to read back a few days...ya'll must be writing a book...lol

Anyways next time post more pictures will ya...joking

Almost time for football practice. I may be in New Orleans for the NFL play 60 for kids,with the womens professional team Indianapolis Crash which I am a member of ;) Im looking forward to representing our team this year if I do go.

Keep the good info going
happy.gif

Hi all.

(forgive me if this violates any rules. I've looked them over and didn't find any specifically that said I can't ask what I'm asking, I hope.)

I have a lead on what I think is a number 2 cart. Here is the listing:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/grd/3473036956.html

I have not seen it, and the pictures aren't great. I spoke with the owner on the phone today. He informed me that it has never had a tailgate, and does not have any rust holes through it (that he knows of.) He thinks the tires hold air, but that isn't a huge deal because I can always get tires for it (right?)

I have an opportunity to get it for a decent price, and I know it'll need work (at the least, paint) What is a general ballpark price on one of these, in this condition? (it's in SE MI).

Questions ensue:

-How difficult is it to obtain a tailgate for it?
-Does this look like a #2 IH cart?

Thanks

Daniel G - you're right, the pics are terrible. I can't tell if it's a No. 2 cart or not. I've never seen tail gates available separately. Don't think you'd probably ever find an original one unless you bought a whole nother cart. Not sure one from another brand cart would appear any different but don't know if any would be the same correct dimensions. I'd suggest you obtain some good pics of a No. 2 cart, maybe even a copy of the Assembly or Parts manual for it (may be something on here under the Manuals thread) and take it along with you when you have a look at the trailer. Ooh, and yes you can always get tires, but not the originals as far as I know.
(under edit - Can't say to much about price. I've seen them anywhere from $50-$300 but the price reflected the condition. I'm not sure from these pics if this one is even worth the starting price I noted - looks more like rust being held together with rust - but that could be just the pics)

Dennis - back when I was a bit younger and in school, I cut weeds out of bean fields for a couple brother farmers. One ran a 4020 diesel and the other a 4020 gas, and they were always arguing. I think one of the tractors was always breaking down and the other had to use his to do the work. It was actually better working for their cousin who was older and only ran IH, and never seem to really have a problem. The JDs were bigger and sorta nicer looking to me as a kid, but the old IH stuff just kept going and going.

Amy - the Indianapolis Crash? Sounds more like a racing team. Hey congrats to you. Hope we see you on TV.

Quick question: Can you take a ported hydro from a QL tractor and put it in a 1x9 w/ manual lift and use the hydro lift cylinder and guts from the same QL and in doing so convert the manual lift to hydro?

I found a donor 1250 and am wondering how I could use parts from it on my 109.

HARRY - The BTO (big time operator_ who lived about a mile away ran ALL JD. When I started there in 1968 I was running a pair of 4020-D's, both about 4 yrs old. I worked for him for many years, 8-10 yrs probably. In '71 he traded two-for-two, both old 4020's for two new 4020's, but put a check mark by the box next to Air Conditioning on the cab tractor w/WFE. Couple days later he calls the salesman and asks how much to change the cab tractor to a 4320. That 4320 tractor had 3.0 operating hours on it when I took it out to plow the night it was delivered. The way it ran I swear it should have been painted RED. I plowed for 5-6 hours until I was plowing down sorgum that was as high as the tractor cab and watching that stuff flail around in the head lights was making me nauseous so I quit for the night. That was the ONLY night the A/C worked in it too. Come summer chopping hay when I needed the cab sealed up to keep the dust out the A/C compressor had siezed up already so I was back eating dust in the open cab. The 4320 was actually too big to chop hay, the shear pin for the drive rollers would shear and it was so powerful I didn't have any advance warning on how heavy I was feeding the chopper, so eventually went back to the open station NFE 4020 for chopping.

He later bought a 4230 New Generation tractor. It had an M&W turbo on it. Was a decent tractor to run. More power than a straight 4020 but not as much as the 4320.

The first day I worked for him disking with the old '64 NFE open station 4020 the tractor started running warm as the temps warmed up in the early morning, which was typical for a 4020. I stopped, let it cool down, shut it off and tightened the fan belts, started it up, ran another ten minutes and it got warm again. But other than that, and the shear pins on the chopper never really ever had any tractor problems when I was running his new tractors.

Now his old poppin' johnnys were a different story. He had an old styled A, a G, and a 60 I got stuck running a lot it seemed. Running them paid $2/hr and sitting home paid nothing but there was NOTHING to like about listening to those old beasts popping & banging away, shaking and vibrating till I was numb and my eyes wouldn't focus anymore. At least with Dad's FARMALL's, anything we ran in the field had a RADIO. Made the time go by faster.

I still have the tractor radio I got for my 14th B-day 45 yrs ago on the Super H, but it's had some changes made. It was AM only, but is now AM/FM and has stereo speakers all fit into the enlarged case. The radio isn't as good as the old AUTOMATIC brand tractor radios popular back in the 60's, but close. You could hear the Automatic radios a mile away down wind over the tractor. This one maybe only a quarter mile.

Maybe that's why I have an AM/FM/Cass deck on my 72, got to used to listening to radios on tractors. It's odd, I seldom if ever listen to the radio in a car/truck.

Bill J - yup, you can do that, but you need to make sure you get all the lift mounting parts from the 1250, and then locate and mount them on the 109 the same way they were mounted on the 1250. Run the hoses the same, mount the spooler valve on the steering column, etc. (They fit but you'll have to add a 0 to the model making it a 1090).

Dennis - I was probably cutting those weeds back around '64 or '65 which sorta fits with your time frame for the 4020 being new. My last years of that kind of work before I moved up to hay bales, then the movie theater, pizza delivery, and then driving trucks for the Alphalfa Mill. Interesting I feel certain they had IH cutters in the fields. I remember them being all red but not realizing if they were IH. I was mostly racing the other trucks (327 Chevys with governors limiting them to 60mph - but I could get mine to 70mph empty).

You know, I am getting worried about Charlie - haven't heard from him for awhile and he said he had those 3 semis coming in. Anyone got a satellite view of his location?

Quick off topic Question:

Dennis F - I very much enjoy your posts on farming, IHCC and tractors. Question is - what made JD such an desirable farm tractor in the first place vs IH? One would think that given the problems with the JD's everyone would run to IH or AC or something other than JD.

Quick ON TOPIC Question: Was a hydro pump/lift for a 126 tractor an IH option or was this something enterprising owners/dealers installed? Was it available in addition to the electric lift?

Harry, satellite view...that can be done but not in 'real time'. Plus the semis are probabily in one of his giant barns. <font size="-2">Ya know, with his location and available space he should become a frozen food distributor...barns are always frozen.</font>

I thought Charlie had one of the grayed out areas...not veiwable...

Bill,
You have to remember back in the day <font size="-2">(I hate to sat it)</font> the Dear John A's, B's, GP's and D's were a pretty darned good tractors. Allegiances were made to the Greens just like the Reds. Old habits are hard to break.

DFrisk-

About the Johnny Poppers- dad tells me about running those as a kid (mostly against his will) "how do you adjust throttle, pull rope for plow at the end of a furrow, steer AND clutch with only two hands?" Then he shakes his head. It makes me laugh because I have no use for a 2 cylinder bang bang tractor.

Ah Allen - I was thinking maybe we had a member with access to real time viewing.

Tom - did ya catch the link I posted yesterday. You have to view it completely to see all the bears.

Bill - there was the allegiance as Tom mentioned, but I just finished the book "A Corporate Tragedy", The Agony of International Harvester Company by Barbara Marsh (there's a thread in the Sandbox if you didn't see it). The book mentions an era where JD came out with some big hp unit, and the quick competitive route for IH was to mate a bigger hp engine to an older tranny and rearend. It was a major failure for IH and they recalled all the tractors. I felt like this gave JD a big bump on the market and it wasn't clear if IH ever regained their position even tho they did eventually introduce new competitive units, it sounded as tho they were always a little behind the market/product curve. Also, back in that era the allegiance was not only to the brand but in a big part to the local dealer that kept that machine running and operating. I think that major tractor failure (and I don't recall the model number) really put a bad taste in many a farmers mouth - especially since the local dealer couldn't fix it and as I understood, there was no real equivalent or better replacement from IH. I was actually impressed that IH recalled them from the market - not to fix them but return them to IH. It didn't provide the details but I don't think you'd see anything similar from a company today (even tho I believe the book noted they had no choice).

I believe your Quick On Topic question was asked recently and the Operator Manual for the 1x6/7 series only listed the Electric Lift as optional. Others on here posted the earlier add on narrow frame hydraulic pump/lift option would still bolt right on.

Kraig, Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - Is that blue spot in the center of the BING shot, a pond or Charlie's swimmin hole?
crash.gif

It musta dried up in the Google Earth shot. Ain't nothin green cept the trees.

The hardest thing about splitting the tractor to install a new cork gasket on the hydro is putting the #@%&^ brake spring back on. Does anyone have an easier way?

Back