Archive through January 05, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Harry, just plain old white vinegar, cheapest I could find at Wally World. Yes, that's a before and after photo, well sort of, only had room for one axle at a time in the 5 gal bucket! The 2nd one has been soaking for a day now, I'll hit it with a wire brush today to loosen everything up a little and take the wire wheel to it tomorrow after another day of soaking.

I have to make some sort of mask so the portion where the shoes contact don't get painted. then Get them painted along with the trans/axle assl'y. then I can at least make a roller out of it for a while till I get the engine installed and running. Still waiting on a few gaskets and the main trans input seal. UPS should bring them today if their tracking info is correct.

Have a great day everyone!
Looks like we are going to get a little more white stuff here this week.

Since all the rhetoric the last day or so is just that, I've started a new Topic in the Sandbox and moved most of the post there.

I hate to hear all the feuding going on since I am a recently new member of the site. there is obviously a reason Charlie didn't sell the site, because he loves Cubs and sharing his knowledge of them. so lets give him a break and get off his back. on another note I recently posted that I was ready to make a 700 mile one way drive to pick up a snow thrower for my cub and I was asked if I couldn't find one closer, oh, and that deal fell through, he sold it out from under me. in my area they are not as up on Cubs as you all are and when I was asked if I was interested in purchasing one at a VERY reasonable price I jumped at it and now im trying to accessorize my purchase. im finding out though what I want is some distance away but hopefully with the help of this site I can monitor the classifieds and find what I want. thanks for letting me say my piece.

John, I believe it was me that asked about something closer, keep watching craigs list and our for sale section.

Charlie, Thank you sir.

thanks Jeff, but craigs list is where I've found all the possible purchases and I've had to dig hard to find those, but im not giving up hope.

John H - good to see you back and posting again. I see you are located in very western part of Nebraski' (at least that's what we called it from the Dakota side where I grew up). I disagree with Jeff on one thing - I think it was me that asked about something closer than 700 miles, not him.
biggrin.gif

I do agree with Jeff about watching Craig's List and the For Sale section on here. You can also post to the Wanted section on here and see what turns up.

The Model 129 is a favorite of mine (I especially like the red stripe on the side of the hood decal). I think the wide frame tractor, the hydro drive and the 12hp Kohler all go together just so well, and can handle most anything. Feel free to ask questions about recommendations for your specific use situation.

Sorry the deal on the snow thrower fell thru. In my view the QA42A snow thrower is an excellent choice for use with a 129 if you have a hard surface drive way. If you've got stones/gravel/dirt it has some drawbacks and a snow blade may actually be better - and easier for you to come by if you don't currently have one. But if the driveway is somewhat long the thrower may still be better. So ask away and you'll get all kinds of recommendations of what may be best, but give us some specific details of your situation (is it a flat drive, 1/4mile long, gravel, hard surface, sloped, rolling, etc.).

Even if the thrower isn't ideal you might still want to get one and tuck it away. During a winter with a lot of snow if you use a blade your drive tends to get narrower and narrower unless you really blade things off to the sides. If you have the thrower you can always switch over and open things up again, although it will take some work.

And if you get a blizzard - if you can stay in front of the snow fall - meaning go after it at every 6-8 inches of accumulation - you have a much better chance of not being snowed-in. Course it also depends on how hard the wind is blowing, what direction it's blowing and what direction you have to throw your snow.

Now, just give us some details and you'll hear a lot back.

David S - I'm gonna give the vinegar a try once I get a few things tore apart. Have a friend out here that did it and worked good but I think he left it for a couple weeks and don't know if he had to use the wire wheel afterwards. Guess it's one of those things where you check every few days to see.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 118
What if?
dunno.gif

301383.jpg

smile.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    215 bytes · Views: 122
  • dunno.gif
    dunno.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 301383.jpg
    301383.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 301383.jpg
    301383.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 137
White vinegar is a cheap carburetor cleaner among other things. Same rules apply whereas do not leave it soak for more than a day or so. The vinegar will eat the aluminum up same as your high priced carburetor cleaner. Another de-rust agent if I recall is molasses. Of it you're feeding hogs a mixture of ground corn, oats molasses in an old fifty-five gallon barrel filled with water... same type of de-rust effect.

Uncle Kraig - what if?
301387.jpg

Attachments

• 301387.jpg
    301387.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 301387.jpg
    301387.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 123
Kraig - don't know what happened but the pic is supposed to have a caption stating:

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate"
roflol.gif

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 129
Kraig can you post a higher res including the typed print?

Jeff, it's from a 40th anniversary brochure, I had edited the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> logo onto the MTD Cub many years ago. I'm not sure where I put the high resolution version of it or the original version.
facepalm.gif
Here's a similar 40th brochure, I edited the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> logo onto the grill of the MTD Cub on this one too.
proud.gif

301393.jpg

301394.jpg

Attachments

• 301394.jpg
    301394.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 301393.jpg
    301393.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 150
  • proud.gif
    proud.gif
    926 bytes · Views: 118
  • facepalm.gif
    facepalm.gif
    898 bytes · Views: 122
  • 301394.jpg
    301394.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 301393.jpg
    301393.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 143
Kraig - I know you're a moderator but I think you're walking a fine line and my pic still applies. We better get back to O's, narrow and wide frames, Quiet Lines, and spread frame 82's

Harry, its got a picture of an O and mentions 1961 at the louisville plant, he's good. speaking of Os I saw on a certain guys list someone getting rid of 3 digit O

Harry, you completely missed the point of my "what if?" post. What if <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> was still making the Cub Cadet...
happy.gif

301396.jpg

Attachments

• 301396.jpg
    301396.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 118
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 126
  • 301396.jpg
    301396.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 160
that 100 looks totally cool launching off like that
Shift.gif

Attachments

• Shift.gif
    Shift.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 116
Harry,
You forget the Mod Motto!
301398.jpg

Besides, Kraig has more privileges than I do!
beerchug.gif

Attachments

• beerchug.gif
    beerchug.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 301398.jpg
    301398.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 301398.jpg
    301398.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 123
Kraig - I did miss that, but....

Jeff - I don't agree. Here's a copy of what it says at the top of the page:
Use this topic only for discussion about IH Garden Tractors and Equipment built prior to 1981.

Charlie - "say as I do, but not as I say"
bash.gif

Lets turn the page and move on.

Attachments

• bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 127

Latest posts

Back