• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 17, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wilie- Of course! Now I understand
bash.gif

I don't have any impliments yet for the 982, and have been looking over the PTO. Is the PTO missing something that is suppose to lock the balls down so the PTO shaft does not slide out? Or is the ball lock suppose to be on the shaft yoke of the impliment? Or is the collar just that rusted and stuck?
confused.gif

239178.jpg

I've looked at the parts look up, service manual, and owners manual. It doesn't say or show anything.

Rob, in the parts image #24 maybe what we are talking about, but the pix is so small its hard to tell if it has a moving collar. But I tend to agree with Lonny that there is probabily a sliding collar to hold things tight.

Hello. I am new here so I hope i am asking this question in the corret forum. I have an original cub cadet (which now looks like a farmall H). After the engine warms up (usually mowing) it seems to lose power and eventually stall out. I replaced the coil, the generator tests good, rewired everthing. The only thing I didnt test was the points. Could that be where the problem is? The engine also seems to run hot. Or is this not an electrical problem and perhaps I am losing compression somewhere? I checked the head and it looks good. I even replaced the gasket. Please help! I am very frustrated!

Patrick,

T.G. Wilie is correct. The teaser spring goes between the teaser coupling and the clutch plate. The teaser coupling is positioned correctly (wide cup toward the clutch plate). I looked it up in the IH service manual on page 2-23.
On serial numbers 612808 and above there is a bushing with a lubricating fitting between the loading spring and the throw out bearing.
thumbsup.gif

scott reed

I would bet money on your exhaust valve is sticking and not closing . my .02
try some marvel mystery oil That will fix it.

Scott Reed: Frustration is no stranger, here. I'm thinking that you already have a handle on the problem - your timing's off - back to the points. Stick around, if it can't be fixed here, it can't be fixed.
happy.gif

Rob, that collar should slide out to lock down the retainer balls. I believe it's the same as on a 2072. Here's what the 2072 rear PTO looks like.

239184.jpg

Don, Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

Frank,

How do i correct the timing? Is that in the points? I was also told to check the gapping in the points. They say if the points aren't gapped correctly, when they warm up they seperate more causing a lesser strong spark.

Latest posts

Back