• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

106 swamp resurrection. Of sorts

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Adam's gonna have tons of fun this weekend! Consider yourself fortunate to have a dealer like that near you.
It can't be over-stated that the rate of my progress is due entirely to living about 15 minutes away from a guy who has been parting out Cub Cadets for decades. He used to have over 50 units, he has downsized to about 26 different IHCCs scattered across his property these days. I'm lucky, and I feel for the guys who have to spend a TON of time hunting down needed parts.

I managed to get the muffler and a temporary blue seat mounted on Friday night after mowing my 4 acres. The wrong color seat actually doesn't look near as bad as I imagined it would.

My productive focus on Saturday didn't go according to plan and my father and I ended up very inebriated at a local vintage farm show for the majority of the day-into the evening.

Having to spend most of Sunday doing wedding planning stuff, I just didn't get the shop time I had planned on for the weekend.

20210828_161934.jpg

Last edited:
Adam - sorry for stealing your thread. In the above pics my 169 is the one missing the air cleaner cover, has the high back seat, and it has the button on the PTO engagement lever painted red (it's hard to see). I used to paint those buttons red on all my tractors.
No offense taken over here, whatsoever. I enjoy the feedback, and any opportunity for learning about CC history/"culture" :greenthumb:
Regardless of where it's posted.

I'll shoot a text to my "dealer" about the top and see if he might possibly have one or know of one.

Adam,
That seat makes me want to go to a St. Louis Blues Hockey game!

One step forward, two steps back.

After getting a small amount of seat time on another Cub yesterday afternoon, I noticed that it had less than half of the vibration as my 106 at home. I confirmed my suspicions when I got home. The fact that it went away when the clutch pedal was applied lead me to find that one of the spring pins in the driveshaft coupler was pushed halfway out, allowing the driveshaft to spin wildly to one side. You can see how it was stuck in the vise picture.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice it on first assembly, I'll admit. :drool2:

Drove back onto the hoist (basically a garden tractor operating table at this point) and removed the engine. Since I have a good clutch button installed in another front PTO lever, I pulled the front frame to install that as well. Got another coupler and more spring pins from my dealer, along with a proper battery hold down. Putting all of it back together tonight for more re-testing.

I have to say, I absolutely LOVE how well this K241 is running otherwise. Maybe a half revolution of crank rotation with the choke on and it fires every time, and pulls pretty strong when it's warm.

20210902_170514.jpg
20210902_162029.jpg
20210902_194519.jpg
20210902_194501.jpg

Last edited:
it's very simple to make your own driveshaft/spring tool.
I made mine out of some long bolts (didn't have threaded rod handy).. and a couple pieces of steel plate.

Attachments

• DSC07370.JPG
    DSC07370.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 132
it's very simple to make your own driveshaft/spring tool.
I made mine out of some long bolts (didn't have threaded rod handy).. and a couple pieces of steel plate.

A vise, a pin punch, 2 pieces of hard wood to cushion the shaft in the vise, a brass drift and a hammer is all you need.

Got home Friday after work and reassembled the Cub with a new clutch button and the new coupler/spring pins. What a difference!
I can leave a full beverage on the hood with no fear of it falling off now.

On Sunday, I went on a 10 mile garden tractor ride with some great friends for the simple fun of it. The 106 was the designated service vehicle/beverage cart, and performed flawlessly in those roles (along with my two other non-cub tractors that I had to spend some time preparing for the sake of being loaners for the day)

I have to say, that compared to a 104 that was running with the group, my 106 is definitely governed at a much higher RPM than his for some reason.
It was the 3rd fastest tractor aside from 2 hydro Cases that each ran a hilarious 11mph top speed for no explainable reason.
I will say that those two had the hardest time with in-flight refueling from the coolers however.

I'm getting ready for the lift install next, but was very satisfied to get some memorable seat time on this previously derelict little tractor.

20210903_212400.jpg

Finished everything up the night before. Love those tru-powers.

20210905_152942.jpg

20210905_160039.jpg

Good thing I had brought a handful of fuel filters and a strap. The guy working on the Case ended up using a majority of them throughout the day.

20210905_194104.jpg

Screenshot_20210907-073308_Messenger.jpg

All of the participants lined up for the cheesy yet obligatory photo finish. Featuring myself on the the 106 that I really need to make a grille for soon.

20210905_210033.jpg

My 3 (closest to the door) at the end of the journey.

Last edited:
Adam - your 106 is coming along really nice. Looks like you taught yourself pretty good on welding that sheet metal hood. I believe you actually saved the decals which is near impossible with the hood cracks I've seen.
Thanks Harry
I did my best to save the decals.
My ability to operate a grinder was definitely a factor in the outcome on this hood.

I was finally able to procure a creeper drive box for a reasonable price. Definitely needs new bearings and a seal before I bother splitting the tractor for the install.

Spinning it by hand and watching the amount of speed reduction from the input shaft however has me excited to see what the 106 will pull/push after the install :errrr:

20210916_075342.jpg

Adam - you're absolutely right that you need to disassemble and verify everything is in good condition before you install it. Make sure you have a Service Manual to follow and inspect all the parts, and I'd recommend having a printed copy of the parts list diagram.

If you run into issues/problems just come back here and we'll help you out.

I always recommend all new O-rings and all new roll pins. Charlie at CC Specialties has them. You'll probably need a new Yoke as well, and maybe a handle. Hopefully your 3 planetary gears are in good shape. They used to be readily available and cheap. Now you can hardly find them and the price has gone up. Looks like Charlie only has 2 left in stock.

Good luck with your project.

Back