• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

106 swamp resurrection. Of sorts

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam - nice job. You mention you ran it long enough to make sure the head gasket sealed. In my experience you need to run it 15-20 minutes, let her cool down, and then re-torque the head bolts to make sure you've got a good seal.

Adam - nice job. You mention you ran it long enough to make sure the head gasket sealed. In my experience you need to run it 15-20 minutes, let her cool down, and then re-torque the head bolts to make sure you've got a good seal.
Sounds like cheap insurance to me. Once I get it sitting on the ground so I can comfortably run it longer, I'll recheck the torque on the head bolts.

Drained and refilled the transmission, Blasted, painted, and mounted the new tires on the wheels.
Once I got them mounted on the tractor, I greased every zerk I could find and lowered the "operating table" down so I could finally drive the 106 off of it and out of the barn under it's own power!
Talk about satisfying.
After running a few experimental laps around the yard with the lawn sweeper, I had enough of a bruised tail-bone to put it back into the barn for the night.

Took the hood off the following morning and forced myself to learn how to weld sheet-metal, since the hood was cracking on each side near the bolt holes. Wired up a headlight switch in the stock location, and made a temporary stack out of a transmission fill tube I found laying out back in my scrap pile.
Definitely installing a stock muffler when it gets here. Picking up a seat bracket this week hopefully. There's some other small details that need addressing, but another large milestone has been passed.

20210817_170559.jpg
20210817_195546.jpg
20210820_181043.jpg
20210820_181737.jpg
20210821_134146.jpg
20210821_125504.jpg
20210821_153300.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-760776569.mp4
    11.3 MB
Great progress on the 106. Now what’s up with that pigeon-toed looking pallet jack In the background?

My 126 had those same hood flaws. That would be a rump-bumping ride the way it is set up now.

Great progress on the 106. Now what’s up with that pigeon-toed looking pallet jack In the background?

My 126 had those same hood flaws. That would be a rump-bumping ride the way it is set up now.
Pallet jack was being carried by a forklift immediately after unwrapping it and the driver caught a post with it. I brought it home that day and will bend it back for use in the shop :bluethumbsup:

Looking good !
That would make a sweet mate for my 126.
Thanks!
I hope this 106 can run the tiller like I plan. If not, I might be seeking out a k301 powered unit myself in the future.
Wont know until I get the lift, gearbox, and underbelly bracket installed/repaired. Not to mention I still have to find a creeper drive, or just give up and find a Hydro NF for the sole use of tilling :unsure:

Adam - your 106 is coming along really nice. Looks like you taught yourself pretty good on welding that sheet metal hood. I believe you actually saved the decals which is near impossible with the hood cracks I've seen.

I think Adam's gonna have tons of fun this weekend! Consider yourself fortunate to have a dealer like that near you.

Adam - WHOA!!!!! At the top and middle of your literature picture you have a brochure for a canopy. You should probably hightail it back to your dealer and see if he has the "Surrey With The Fringe On Top". That's one of the absolute rarest options.

Kraig - Jim Cabot actually found a NOS canopy and I believe installed on a Model 86. Any chance you have some pics?

(And by the way, for those of you that didn't know, you have to catch the Musical production of "Oklahoma", and you'll hear the question:
How does a cowboy take his girl to a social? In a Surrey with a fringe on the top.)

Last edited:
Hydro, I recall hearing that Jim had found one but don't remember seeing photos of it. I'll have to dig a bit deeper into my archives, I did find this after a quick look...

2475.jpg

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos:
I don't remember the photo so it must have been taken in secrecy by Kenny W.

That is Jim Chabot, the Great IH Cub Cadet Museum Curator, providing instruction to Grasshopper, the learned one.

The photo was taken when we were rebuilding my 13 fin K341, shown in the foreground in the pic.

Interesting factoid = if you look on the floor between our outstretched hands you'll notice a gas tank mount bracket and then something else just to the right and slightly above it. That is a crankshaft out of one of Jim's K241 engines. The rod let go at idle earlier and he tore the engine apart and completely rebuilt it all the while instructing Kenny W and myself on re-assembling my K341. His K241 actually ran before we finished the K341. Here are the results of all the efforts a couple weeks later:
new169k.jpg
new169j.jpg
new169l.jpg

Adam - sorry for stealing your thread. In the above pics my 169 is the one missing the air cleaner cover, has the high back seat, and it has the button on the PTO engagement lever painted red (it's hard to see). I used to paint those buttons red on all my tractors.

Back