• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 27, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodsmith

displayname
Rodney Smith
happy.gif

Hows it going KEITH?
Makes sense,about the weights on a Y@W cub.
I believe I'd throw in the towel for the yellow weights.They stand out and add to the rugged look of a CUB CADET. I bought 2 sets last week for $125.One set is marked I.H.,the other doesn't have the marking, but otherwise is identical.Should I go ahead and paint the set I install on the 73, white instead of yellow so you won't have to after I sell it to you?
bouncy.gif

Rodney,
I am guilty of creating a frankenstien of sorts. Many years ago before I understood the value of a good cub, I did some swapping. At the time I had a 7hp wheelhorse and a 7hp 73 cub. The cub was smoking, so I swapped the motor with the wheelhorse. I had to swap the lower half of the motor block to allow bolting into the cub. I swapped the tins as well. If you look at the previous posts of the 73 motor you'll notice the red colored block. When i swapped the motors I kept the carbs and air cleaners with their mated block. I eventually gave the 7hp wheelhorse back to my older brother. He traded it to a guy for something. That guy sold it on craigs list.

So if you ever run across a yellow block in a wheelhorse, give me a call.

Rod, while it's not official just something I've observed in the various brochures. The Original through the 72-1x4/5 series brochures all depict yellow weights. The 73-1x6/7 and up brochures all depict white weights. Therefore, yellow wheel weights belong on Originals, 70/100, 71-1x2/3 and 72-1x4/5 series Cub Cadets. White wheel weights belong on 73-1x6/7 and up series Cub Cadets. Farmall Cubs would have used red weights, though the later yellow and white International Cubs could have had white or yellow too I suppose.
dunno.gif

Having written all that put whatever color weight on whatever Cub you have. I'm sure the correct police won't mind.
220317.gif

BTW, my #2 125 has white wheel weights on it because they were on it when I bought it. Also being an accessory they would have been available in various colors like Keith mentioned so whatever the dealer had in stock was what you'd get.

JB Evans,

Do not completely remove the runners. The weigth of the 175# thrower will chew through the cutting edge FAST.

Instead, remove material from the runners until the cutting edge can be held right at the surface of the drive, but not carry weight.

I set mine by loosening the skids/runners and lowering the cutting edge onto one thickness of heavy cardboard. I then tighten the skids. With the cardboard removed the cutting edge barely hovers over the floor, but doesn't carry 175# of thrower. I have done this every November for 12 years and have never worn the edge to the point of needing to flip it. The auger sucks up that 1/16" layer and leaves the drive basically clean.

Remove metal from the runners if you must, but don't remove them all together...It'll be much easier on your wallet and thrower!!!!!

Steve B,
"Remove material from the runners"?? They should be adjustable so NOT to be too long.??

Tom,

Agreed, but I'm guessing they are Non-Stock or have had "shoes" welded on them to make them too tall...either that or the edge is GONE already....

Kraig,

Wheel weigth adder......82 series deserve red weights...."factory" or not they look the best!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Steve B,
Agreed! I'll bet the cutting edge is gone too. That's why he's leaving snow.

Rod mentioned stamped and unstamped wheel weights I thought they where all stamped IH ?

Is it the weight of the thrower that makes it wear faster than the snow blade cutting edge?

shame.gif

TOM,
Don't forget and sit down on your glasses.Would hate to see the seat get torn on that sharp tractor.
Jeff,
Was thinkin that the unmarked wheel weights might be after I.H. sold out and before CCC started making their own style,but thats just a thought.I'll have to look and see if I can find a # or something to identify them.

Rodney,
The paint might be so thick and the casting so poor that you can't make out the IH on the weights. Send them to me and I'll clean em up for you and find out!

Please do paint the 73's weights white for me. That will save me some trouble!

Back when I used my QA-36 every winter in just a few short years the inverted "U" shaped scraper edge wore out on concrete even carrying some weight on the skids. I went and priced a new scraper edge. After the EMT's got my heart restarted I went to a local steel supply shop and bought some either 1/4" or 3/8" thk steel about 1" wide and made my own grinding a bevel on the leading edge. I even tapped the holes in the new edge so I could attach it without using nuts & lockwashers.

Bottom line, they're another thing IH did a bit of engineering on... The wider scraper even with the beveled edge won't scraper down near as well and the OEM edge. Even just a foot print in the snow and the blower will ride up on top of the snow. But it should last forever.

Same time I did that edge on the QA-36 I put a similar edge on my blade on the big loader. It had been used so much the edge was worn up into the angle iron that reinforces the bottom edge of the blade. I bought 8-10 ft of 1-1/2" wide x 1/2" thk steel flat stock and welded it to the bottom of the loader. I noticed the other day that it's MAYBE 1/4" thk now. It's been getting a LOT more use the last couple winters than it did 4-5 yrs ago.

I will say I'm impressed with the way my frt blade scrapes right down to the concrete even over foot prints & tire tracks.

STEVE B - think ALL of my wheel weights are IH white...except the outside set of IH weights on the 982 which are the CORRECT color, 2150 RED
ihrotate.gif

I even painted my MWSC 10# suitcase weights white since at the time they could have been used on both the 129 & 982.

Jeff- It is a black top driveway and is pretty smooth. I have a gravel parking spot next to the driveway that I usually just shovel.

Tom- The cutting edge is like brand new. Has minor rust due to age but looks as though it has never touched pavement.

Steve- I believe the runners are stock but you can be the judge of that by looking at the pictures. The snowthrower has been sitting in a barn for many many years.

Kraig- this is the same QA36A I sent you pictures of a while back.

Ignore the tape measure. Thanks everyone for your input!
bouncy.gif

JB

220327.jpg

220328.jpg

220329.jpg

220330.jpg

Oh and these pictures are from a month ago before I installed it on my 149 so I did lower the thrower to the lowest setting on the runners. Still leaves 1/2 inch of snow. The picture shows it at a higher setting.

JB

JB, those skids have been modified. The stock ones are just 1/4" or so thick flat steel with no skis. Here's a link to a photo on CC Specialties website showing what the stock skids would look like: CLICK HERE

Looking through my brochures on wheel weight color for the 82's, couldn't find any. One color brochure for the 1810 series shows black. The B & W photos of the 82's appear to be black also, but hard to tell. Anyone know for sure?

Latest posts

Back