• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 26, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfreeman

displayname
Ken Freeman
Looks like a slow day for Cub talk.

I have been doing a little fab work. Here is my angle adjuster for the front blade. It works pretty slick, didn't get off the tractor at all when pushing the last snow.
bannana_guitar.gif

283089.jpg

Looks cool man. Mind giving us then how-to? Like does it still have the locking pin?

Ken, how does it stay in position? Do you have a cable to pull the lock pin up too?

Ken - I'm with Nic and Keith; I'd like some more details and photos, please. I sometimes end up using the QA-42A on my 782 for pushing small accumulations of snow, instead of using the front blade on my 1450 because it's a hassle (and slippery) climbing off and back on the tractor to change the blade angle. Thanks for sharing.

A few action shots with Clark, my (not as heavy as me) son, getting the seat time. He loves that thing!

283106.jpg

283107.jpg

283108.jpg

283109.jpg

I know there's been talk of warming our Cubs in the dead of winter before tackling the drifts.

Here's my rig. A small space heater, set on low, with a 12 gauge extension cord. I set it upright and let it blow on the rear end for about 20 minutes then do the same for the motor. It's parked in a closed garage. This makes a huge difference when starting. It turns over with the enthusiasm of a spring day - even when outdoor temps are around zero.

283112.jpg

It may be over 40 years old, but man, this thing really does the job!

283115.jpg

All those pics of plowing snow make jealous, well kinda, a day or three maybe but week after week, not so much.

Hydro. on the 149 & 169, I dropped a 12hp in the 149 to get through the summer, until I can find time & money to rebuild the 14hp. The crank in the pto area of the 12hp was chewed up so built it up with my "glue gun". once the 14hp gets done the 12 hp will go in 106. The 169 continues to chug along, doing mowing, tilling and chipping duties.
you can see it (and other cub cadet stuff) on my you tube. http://www.youtube.com/user/DUGSTUFF

My 147 dug me and the neighbor out of a 2" overnight snowfall...glad that I can count on a 44 Y.O. machine to continue to dig us out of this "harsh" winter we are having.... I think it's got more winter snow pushing hours on it than it did summer mowing hours last season.

DANIEL - My SIXTY yr old snow mover pushed a wind-blown 4 inches with drifts over a foot and a half deep for an hour. Was Four Below Zero F, it didn't like it it much more than I did.

Five minutes of that time was engine warm-up, temp gauge never did get off the cold peg even with the radiator completely blocked off, ten minutes for Me warming up my fingers & toes in the house, Snow Mover had to stay outside; and five minutes to clean all the loose snow off the blade, wheels, drawbar, etc.

Supposed to get almost as cold here tonight as what Charlie gets, 17 below. yeah.......

Mike F - you better get Clark to put something over his head. It had to be cold out there. And as for that 40+ year old tractor, well it looks pret-near new to me, and aught to make it to 100+ easily.

Ken F - ya we need more pics of how you set your angle adjuster up. Seems to me if you removed the locking pin the blade would rotate on its own. We need to see how you set it up.

Doug B - GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! - you got a FULL PULL out of your 106 with the bucket loader.

A few weeks ago some were asking abouthow to keep the belt tensioner secure. Here's my fix. Drill hole into frame, tap a 1/4-20 thread ad install a long bolt with jamb nut. Never a problem.
283121.jpg

Greetings, all!

First post here. My name is Perry, and I live in western Pennsylvania.

I joined not because I have a Cub but because my brother-in-law just acquired a 108 (it came with his new house), and I would like to help him set it up for snow plowing. We will have to get a plow, chains, and weights, since the tractor was only ever used for mowing before this. He has no experience with any of this, I have experience with Deere, Horse, and Simplicity/AC, but none with Cub. So, a couple of questions:
What plow(s) do you recommend?
How can I best hang some weight off the back end (like what to attach to without breaking something?)

Thanks for any help,

Perry

Welcome Perry, the 108 is one of cub cadets best tractors. It is a wide frame 10 horse gear drive Check out the FAQs at the top, there are two sections, and the Manuals section at the bottom.

Keep all you 108 suff in this on going thread. feel free to explore and join in on other thread catagories and threads. One more thing when you have a minute check in the rule section some good info there too.

For winter you need the IH wide frame 42 inch snow/dirt blade, chains and weights are needed if you plan on pushing any real snow but they are not a must in some situations.

Heres a look at a 42" blade,weights, and chains for your tractor.
283130.jpg

Perry Y - hey welcome to the IH Cub Cadet Forum. As Jeff noted your brother-in-laws 108 is considered one of the best little IH Cub Cadets by many on here (although some of us are partial to the Hydrostatic drives over the Gear Drives as you will come to find out or if you read thru the archives). That 10hp Kohler K241A has got to be one of the smoothest and longer running engines every made by Kohler. We obviously don't know much about the condition of the 108 yet so you'll have to fill us in and hopefully post some pics. The 42" spring trip blade is the most common and readily found for snow/dozer work. The basic blades were the same from about 1964/5 until 1981 but you will need the wide frame sub-frame (introduced about 1972). The sub-frame should come normally attached with the blade. I think you'll find pictures possibly in the Classifieds, archives, or manuals. You need to look for the sub-frame with ears having round pegs sticking "out" rather than the earlier narrow frame versions where they stick in towards the center of the frame. (please excuse my non-technical parts descriptions but I thought these may be easiest for you at this point). Weights and chains are quite common and many various brands will readily fit the standard wheels on the 108. Chains of course depend on your tire size. IHCC cast iron weights are pretty collectible and usually priced accordingly. Good luck with your hunt and come back to us with any questions. The Wanted section of the classifieds is a good place to post your needs.

Welcome Perry, Wheel weights are great but If you are wanting to try and do this inexpensively at first, You can hang weight off the Back of the tractor. There are holes in the frame that you can get creative with and the Small little hitch on the rear Differential can handle some series weight as well. this is the basic 42" with the frame for hookup. They fit many 'WIDE FRAME' Cub Models
283135.jpg

There's one on fleEbay now but it is for the narrow frame. It's located in Beaver Falls. If you look close you can see how teh Pins on the Vertical Bracket face Inward on that one as compared to my picture where they face out.
Search FleEbay...Cub Cadet Plow

I will post some more pictures and of my angle adjustment fabrication for the front blade when I get the chance. I am having some computer issues, so bear with me. Thanks for the interest.
crash.gif

Perry, welcome, the first & easiest way to add weight is to fill the tires with winter time windshield washer fluid. break the bead on one side, pour in all you can, then reinflate. Next is wheel weights. To add weight to the back you'll need a box, or some kind of bracket.
As far as tire chains the cheapest place I found to get some was one of the big home improvement stores.

Latest posts

Back