Archive through January 07, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cledford

displayname
Calvin Ledford
Hey Matt,

You're right. I'm new to cubs so have just gotten caught up in the mystery of it all. I just still wonder (along with the OP) as to whether 12 vs. 13 definitively indicates a replace engine or not.

I'm applying my logic to it - but obviously, I'm not figuring everything correctly. For example some of my logic assumed that spare engines would have been completely assembled, vs assembled from "short blocks" (as needed) as you pointed out. That makes sense and swings things back in the direction of the fin count indicating replacement engines in my mind.

Anyhow, the whole thing is why I enjoy old things to begin with :)

-Calvin

Its only a garden tractor ! mine bring a smile to my face when I use them and that`s all they need to do . Or I would not have them...

Kraig

Thanks for the info. I now have coloured wiring specks of all the IH tractors printed and will have to put then in plastic so I will have them to use in my shop.Now I can move forward with my 125 and get that tractor running after owning it for three years.
thumbsup_old.gif
worthy.gif

Hey guys - keep those details coming on the 12vs. 13 fin. Maybe we'll be able to figure something out here.

Calvin - I've never heard of a Kohler replacement engine being anything other than black. I'm fairly certain the short blocks and mini blocks would also be black. Additionally, with the intro of the Quiet Line series, all the engines were black, and I suspect came from Kohler that way, so any replacement engines would likely be black at that point (early 1975 if memory serves me correctly). Other details that would identify a replacement engine would also be the tags as you noted. At the time of the QL units Kohler had gone over to stickers instead of a metal tag and they moved the location of the sticker. So if you have a 169 and it has a sticker ID down on the level of the frame, it's almost certainly a replacement engine. If your basic block happens to be black but the flywheel shroud and other tin work is yellow then it's also most likely a replacement engine. As for engine failure, Kohler used the now infamous "balance gears" in the 12, 14 and 16hp engines. Many many on here have removed the balance gears from their engines since they are known to put windows in the blocks. I kept them in mine at the time of the rebuild (10 years ago) but if I was doing it now I would likely remove them and go with a balance option developed by Dave Kirk. It seems to be one of those issues that won't go away, and there is no definitive info that your engine will certainly blow up if you leave them in. Now, with regard to longevity of the various engines (8, 10, 12, 14, 16hp) based on appearance of what I know is around my guess would be the 10hp has the greatest longevity. It doesn't have balance gears either and is almost certainly the smoothest running. Next I would think is the 12hp, which I understand sometimes did not come with balance gears from Kohler (would be interesting to know if those were 12 or 13 fin). Next are the 14 and finally the 16 in my view at least. The 14 is a definite shaker, and I must say my 16 is fairly smooth in comparison to some 14s and 16s I've seen. I had understood Kohler actually changed the balance gears over time and had at least 3 different versions. So maybe it's the luck of the draw with longevity. I will say based on these engines being 35 to 40+ years old, the majority would have been rebuilt by now, or replaced. I had heard before that IH tested engines for 2000 hr of run time and Kohlers did well, B/S generally had valve problems. Not sure the time period for this, but 2000 hours would equate to between 20to30 years for most people in my view. If the engine was extremely well taken care of, and used less than 50hrs a year then it may still be running out there some place, and just now be getting ready for a rebuild. I don't know how anyone would have documented it and there aren't to many original owners to ask.

So, all in all, there still remains a mistique about 13 fin blocks. I wonder if that 1 extra fin allows for enough additional cooling surface to allow the heat transfer across that extra casting surface. Since there don't seem to be many 13fin K341s around it raises a big question to me. But it could be there were never many to begin with. So, the mystery and mistique will seem to continue. I'd still like to know what you guys have, whether they are 12 or 13 fin.

Don T (under edit) - "Only a Garden Tractor"? It really is more than that. Were you trying to get alot of comments posted? It's a tremendous tool to use for alot more things than just the lawn and garden. Based on their survival rate, they have to be a tremendously well designed and engineered and built tool. And besides all that, they are FUN!!! All that from a guy that doesn't even get to use his. My last one (169) sits in my garage under a blanket 363 days a year. About 2 days is all I have a chance to pull it out, run up and down the street, and they let her cool and put her back. On about 50 of the 363 days I do have a peak under the blanket and dream of smelling those Kohler fumes. So yes it's much more than a Garden Tractor. It's a love of life. An addiction. A dream of what once was bigger things. And besides all that, they are BEAUTIFUL machines.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (non-new replacement engines are available)

Harry it was typo om my part
bash.gif
12 fins not 18

I just checked my 1650 and it has 13 fins. The oil dipstick goes in from the top. Can I assume the K-341s are like the others when determining balance gears or not? I'm going to go through this engine anyway but I'm just curious. I am pretty sure it's the original engine but I'm only basing that on the fact it needs going through badly. This machine was made in September, 1975 according to the serial number.

Is that enough Harry?

Very eloquent last paragraph in your last post Hydro Harry.

My 129 has a replacement K-301 block which appears to be a factory painted GREY. It has 13 fins and has the casting area in question machined and drilled out. Like Dennis said, a lot of changes occur on these machines in 30-40 yrs.

219216.jpg

Harry Bursell

I did not say ("Only a Garden Tractor") to be little the brand! There are a few brands that wish they enjoyed the same abilities and lasting attributes of the I H cub cadet . But that is just my opinion ! I think we are lucky IH decided to use the K instead of a few other brand of engine. I looked at my tractors and see a 13 fin 14 and a 12 fin 14 ? Don`t really mean a thing to me because in any brand some will shine and some won`t. I would not have what I have if I thought I was wrong in what I thought I could expect from them. They are great and have proven that over and over. I know from what I bought in IH cubs that even not looked after sometimes you get a "great" tractor that shows signs of abuse. That would be expected for something as old and many hands have used these old machines. These debates show how we feel about our tractors, might be because we know we will never buy an 2011 that will be here 40 years for now.The K was the best choice IH could have made and I`am glad they did. I would never belittle IH Cub cadet ! because I think they made great choices when they started. My .012

Harry ,
I would love to have that 169 and use it! I`ll be right over for it if you want .
thumbsup_old.gif

HARRY - Comment on paint, as I said in my last post, I picked a K241 up in Sept. '81 from the Kohler Salesman's home which was a CC spec complete engine. Per co. regulations he was only allowed to buy one engine a month and I had to wait several months to get My K241. It was assembled in Kohler's engine test lab, I suspect from service repair parts. But it WAS 483 yellow. So at least still in 1981 Kohler could paint engines colors other than black. It may have been a rattle-can paint job, but I remember it looked Very nicely painted. And all the engines the IH dealers had sitting on their parts counter were 483 yellow as well, so at least when IH Broadview ordered engines they could get them yellow too at one time.

But if I was Kohler, suppling engines to IH, JD, WH, Bolens, Ariens, even Simplicity/Allis I'd want one standard color. I'm sure there were financial reasons why engines eventually came painted black.

And your comment on the 10 HP K241, WYATT & I discussed that it was probably the FIRST of the big block K-series engines, everything was designed for THAT engine and as the lawn mower Hp races took off, the K301, 321, 341, and 361 were built upon that design with compromises needing to be made on bore, stroke, carb & valve size, engine balance, cooling, etc. I know my old K241 sure seemed to pull good and ran for ever. It was still stock bore in '85 when Dad & I removed it from the 104 and the new engine I bought in Sheboygan was installed. I took the old engine home and rebuilt it, new exh valve, std size rod, knurled the thrust faces of the std sized piston, put new rings in and it ran for 1400 hours mowing tough weeds, blowing snow, running well at several PD's. and still only burned about 4 ounces of oil in 6-7 hours of running, or about three 5-quart tanks of gas!

It's sitting on the engine stand now and is going to be rebuilt again for it's next life time!

The replacement Kohler engine for my ex-wife's and my first Cub Cadet (model 125) was IH yellow from Pyramind supplies out of Iowa city. the next replace ment for it also was a yellow one. Not all replacement engines were black.
219219.gif

Shift.gif

Harry,
There are a few low hr.unmolested I.H.CUBCADETS left out here. I purchased this 1450 about 9yrs ago from the previous owners widow and her son.
She and her late husband had bought it new in 1980 I believe. Serial # is 654199,it had 360hrs
on it at the time I got it.It still had original
I.h. blades on it. They are hanging in my shop.
The PO and his son always sharpened with a file!
As it turns out,when I bought a house in town,it
was next door to that family.To be honest I haven't given it the TLC it recieved from them.
In the country I've mowed out tall grass around fences where hay didn't get cut. I've never washed&waxed like the PO did.ITt now is starting to leak oil at the front of engine that needs repair before spring.
ROD
219221.jpg

219222.jpg

Who could not love a great working and looking Cub.There is a 1450 6 miles from here that has not moved in all that time, I spoke to the owner and some day I will own that.some one after me will get one of my Cubs and it will bring a smile to there face also.That I`am sure of.

219225.jpg

I will be a happy man when I can post pictures of my 125 and 61 O refurb completed in 2011.
greenthumb.gif

greenthumb.gif

DON T.
You can send me that refurb '61' O when you get that 1450! I'm sure it will look good if it looks anything like that 100.
ROD

Hey Guys - keep those details coming.

Jeff B - thanks for the clarification, or we'd be wanting some pics.

Calvin - were you going to check your list twice?

Richard T - thank you. Is it possible the heat has turned the paint gray from black?

Don T, Donnie Donnie Donnie - I guess with you being way up north and on the other side of the divide, well, I just have to have some understanding. I'm a reasonable guy and try to be reasonable with people. Ain't No Way You're Getting my 169!!! Good luck with your restoration efforts.

Dennis F - thanks for your info. I find it very interesting you could get engines painted yellow in 1981. At that point the new tractors all had black engines for 5 or 6 years. I think it may be coming down to how the replacement engine was ordered. If it was ordered thru IH it seems it likely came thru yellow. Your case is a little special obviously since you were dealing with the Kohler rep to IH. I think if the order was direct to Kohler 9or the Kohler distributor) it likely would come thru black. I know some IH CC dealers were not necessarily Kohler authorized dealers and some were. Generally the Kohler items I needed came thru black or green and in a Kohler package so I think they were generally direct from Kohler. On the 10hp block, I believe it was the 1st big block as you say, and the original design, so it didn't need the balance gears.

Marlin H - thanks for your info. Still surprising they would come thru yellow.

Rod S - would that 1450 be for sale?

I don't care what Don T says (hehehe), keep the info coming Guys.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die - even if some have 12 and some have 13 fins.

Has anyone replaced the bushings in a quietline starter? If so where did you get them?
Thanks
Richard

Rodney Smith

Do you mean this O 1961, Its nothing but pieces now, but will soon come back to life.

219228.jpg

Harry Bursell
If that 169 was over here ,it would have a good home .I got room for two more!

and as Harry says (I don't care what Don T says (hehehe), keep the info coming Guys. )
thumbsup_old.gif
old.gif

Mine turns out to be a 12 fin. It is for sure a 16hp based on # of bolts in head - 10. The block is black, with sheet metal being painted yellow. The serial # is 2312709031. There is also a another # which is 4552238 - both of which are on a sticker on the rear cowl - I had to pull the gas tank to see them. There are actually 2 stickers - both with the same numbers on them - one is bar code looking and not something that looks to have come from the early 70s :-(

I didn't have time to look at the 1650 but will take a look over the weekend.

-Calvin

To add to the 13 fin thing. My cousin's 169 has a 13 fin Kohler K341, original engine with the flattened boss without being drilled out. Serial number 529194 so close to the end of the line. Interesting posts. Keep em coming.

Latest posts

Back