• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 06, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Donny-
If my remember(er) is working correctly I think there were two different cub-based Haban Sickles. One was a "D" model, and the other was an "E" model. If I'm thinking correctly, the "D" was for narrow frame tractors only, while the "E" model was convertible to fit either narrow or wide frame. You'll want to check my math on these thoughts, but I'm pretty sure that's the deal.

Frank-
I don't think that is normal, but I'm no expert on these Kohlers. I know my engine DOES have the pump cut out/block off plate. Hopefully Jim D chimes in.

Maybe its a replacement block?
1a_scratchhead.gif
(Or maybe it's a difference between these 12 and 13 fin blocks we see these tractors with...)

IIRC I think all three of my 169's do not have the plate or hole for the fuel pump...I noticed that the other day when my ACR stuck closed on the #4 169....
bash.gif

Zig Zags.......all you guys who like them.....can have my quota..... <font size="+2">I don't need them!!!!!!</font> 82 series (preferably SGT's) and the occasional 149 for me!!!!!

Denny,

684 has 3/4 of a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete hanging on the 3pt when the loader is on. Diff lock and steering brakes are a big help (but it still does much better chained up
happy.gif
). 1486 with blade is a real snow moving horse, but too much trouble to knock the duals on/off 2x a year and the threads in the old DMI hubs don't like the repeated use anymore either (many are 1/2 stripped and nutted on the back side to stay tight).

10-4 on the "rubber chains"......lots of down side, not much up!!!!

Art,

Nice 169......I sure liked mine, pulled like a MO mule, but it did have a tendency to shake itself and it's operator 1/2 to death!!!
happy.gif
Tire combo looks great! V61's are top notch fronts!

Frank, Art, Ryan, et al - 1st I need to make a correction. I said the Hourmeter has its own wire harness with a 3 wire connector - it's actually a 2 wire connector that plugs into the back of the Hourmeter. Positive going to the + side of the coil and negative to the bottom screw holding the little side panel where the Hourmeter is mounted.
Ryan - are your Hourmeters all this way?
Frank - I'm sorry but I had that pic of my Hourmeter from some time ago. I really don't have much access to my 169 when it's in winter storage.
Now, on the fuel pump blocking plate, I agree. As much as I remember my 13fin block does not have this. I had mentioned in earlier posts that there is a boss cast into the lower fins on the front (PTO clutch) side of the block - as if Kohler was getting the casting ready to drill and tap the hole to mount the back plate of the muffler box for an AQS series (Quiet Line) engine, but it's not drilled and tapped. Its as tho Kohler has the block ready for the fuel pump but not drilled.
Art - you said yours "DOES" have the pump cut out/block off plate. Is yours a 13fin?

Don T - I to like to see the 86/108/109/128/129/149/169 spelled out for the same reason you say, but to help shorten my posts (duh) I've accepted the more common 1x8/9 method used on here. Funny you don't see it used for the 1xx0 units, which are of course the QL's or Quiet Line units. Maybe we should get Charlie or Kraig to post a cross-reference in the FAQs.

Frank - since I couldn't get any more pics right now here's the best I could do - Kinda nice when it's glistening in the sunlight.
251847.jpg

Harry: More than kind of nice!
thumbsup.gif

Jeff: Gladly. Cleaned, hole drilled at end of crack in lower bore, primed, painted, threads chased, front bearing, governor, valve lifters and cam re-installed. Crank sent to Dave Kirk for balancing and possibly turning down crank pin. Head sent to Mike Miner for milling. Slowly getting more parts cleaned, primed and painted.

Ryan: Could you post a pic of the muffler conversion on the one you have for sale - I may have to go that way. Very fair price BTW IMHO - hope someone here grabs it quick.
happy.gif

Steve-
Well said!

Harry-
The engine in my 169 is a "correct" 12-fin.

Didn't Charlie say he was working on getting some replacement 169 mufflers made? Oh Charlie?!?!!?????

Here are the differences in the 1X4,5 and 1X6,7. The 1X6,7 had a different hood, different style dash, wider rear wheels & tires, different seat style, different headlight tin design, PTO lever mounted on the left side of the tractor vs. right, different fender/foot rest pan, different decals, slightly different style brake pedal, and way more room under the seat. The biggest obvious difference is probably the fender/foot rest pan. I personally like the 1X6,7 series better than the 1X4,5 but like the style of them the best of any CC. Call them the zig-zags or whatever you want; they are still my favorite.

Art,
2 companies want an order for more mufflers than there were tractors ever made, Grrrrrr
I do have Cub Cadet involved now, so that might help, or maybe hurt!
I'm still negotiating one and checking with 4 others, sigh!

<center>
coffee.gif
<font color="ffffff">. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . </font>
coffee.gif
</center>

<center>
251850.jpg
</center>

<center>
coffee.gif
<font color="ffffff">. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . </font>
coffee.gif
</center>

Greetings all,

Several weeks ago, I was here seeking advice whether or not to rebuild and use the electric lift that came on my 126 project tractor, or to come up with some other plan to operate the Cat 0 3-point lift I am installing. As a result of those discussions, I was able to get my hands on a complete Hydraulic Lift assembly.

I have completely disassembled and cleaned the unit. All of the surfaces which will be painted have been sandblasted and primed.

Being a toolmaker by trade, I have access to machine tools, so I was able to recondition the parts. I honed the ID of the hydraulic cylinder bore to eliminate most surface defects.

The piston received chamfers to break edges that had displaced material, and the piston and seal groove were polished. The piston rod was OD lapped to eliminate surface defects.

The pulley had issues. It must have come loose a lot, because the ½” ID was worn and tapered .060 oversize. The set screw was probably stripped once or twice too, as it was currently threaded for 5/16-18. Interesting too, the tapped hole was very close to one end of the pulley. I bored the pulley to .690, pressed in a mind steel bushing, plugged the tapped hole, and had a buddy TIG weld it all in. I then machined everything to make the repairs invisible, and bored the pulley ID to .500. I drilled and tapped a new ¼-28 hole 180 degrees from the previous one, and located it midway along the .500 ID for strength and holding power.

As far as the pump body goes, much to my surprise, the bore in which the pump drive shaft rotates was not worn at all. My original thoughts were that I was going to bore it to clean, and then make an oversize drive shaft. The bore measures .502 and is not tapered. The unworn areas of the drive shaft measure .499, which would leave .0015 for radial clearance for oil. It appears to me that would be the clearance intended by design. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

The shaft, on the other hand, was worn pretty badly, tapered down to .495, and grooved where the rides. I have a piece of O2 oil-hardening rod coming, in which I will make a new shaft. I can make it oversize just as easily as I can make it original size, so if anybody has experience with the clearance on these things, please let me know.

I am waiting on the arrival of the O-rings and backing rings I ordered to put it together again. I do have some thoughts I’d like some opinions on while I’m waiting….
I was wondering if it might be a good idea to drill a small hole, say .015 in the reservoir plug to allow air exchange. The volume of oil in the reservoir will change as the cylinder moves through its range of motion (about 2 cubic inches by my calculations). This will cause pressure and/or a vacuum, which could lead to leakage from the reservoir at the seals (I question how good the seal is at the reservoir stud). Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

I was also thinking of welding a small rod to the end of the reservoir plug that would protrude into the reservoir, with a mark at the 2/3 full line to serve as a ‘dip-stick’.

Below are some pictures of the progress so far. I’d have included more, but for some reason, even though I resize them to 800 x 600, most of my pictures are still slightly larger than the 100K maximum allowed size. I’m frustrated that I can’t share more.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

251859.jpg

251860.jpg

Greetings again,

I have a question regarding paint. This is an area I have little knowledge in. I have a paint gun, and I’ve painted stuff with it before, just nothing like a car, or a tractor that I just want to look nice. I have done some searching here and on other forums, but would feel a lot more confident if someone could answer my specific questions.

My local Cub Cadet dealer as 759-3263 Yellow and 759-3264 White in quarts in stock. I understand, through searching here, those are numbers correct for my 1970 126.

He states that there is no hardener required, and that it just needs to be thinned with Toluene or Xylene to shoot. Is this correct? What are the thinning proportions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Scott looking impresive,

On to the blue wire,all my 1x8,9 have it taped up.. I found that the blue wire is basicly for extra electric devices such as elec lift, cigar lighter, or radio. this extra wire carried thru untill the start of the QL series which changed harness's

The blue started on the 1x4,5 series. The wire harness made a change at serial #441194 old harness #54754R1 new #5628C91.
This was done to accomadate the PTO safety switch

Scott L.

I do believe the hyd. pump is supposed to be assembled with the fill plug rolled to the side about 30 deg. to accomplish the 2/3 full indicator via the "stick your finger in the hole" method......but your idea for a dipstick is certainly a more "professional" approach!!!

Steve, I’d seen that mentioned before, clocking the plug about 30 degrees from vertical… I figure this way, I can clock it vertically, and not make a mess when I fill and check fluid level. Plus if I vent the plug, it’s less likely to leak.

Scott L.
If you want to wait 3 months for the paint to dry, don't add hardener!
Depending on what reducer you use it will cut down the dry time.
BUT, hardener, medium reducer and fish eye remover are always first on my list.
251862.jpg

Latest posts

Back