• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 08, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg L.-

I think the idea is to keep the motor from tilting forward when the PTO is being used. Otherwise, the front mounts would probably wear out quickly.

Frank C.

If you can't get it to maine Let me know and I'll buy it from you.I bought 2 other cubs from this guy and he is a really nice guy.

I know,I know, I'm not gettin' my hands on this one....
bash.gif

Todd H, we had a 147 growing up and I have a 149 now. I apreciate most of the improvements IH made in the 149 but the one thing I wish I had was a place for a chain or a couple of tools or rags or whatever to throw under the seat. I guess IH didn't like the battery next to the fuel tank, maybe. Just my two cents, Nick

FRANK- i hear your getting a IH cub cadet 123....and that it is gear-drive. my IH cub cadet 71 is gear-drive too! and i like'em! never hear too much about those by way of problems! but i do like hydros....but never owned one. i'am reading about these pto clutch problems.......the info. in these forums are super. i'am nuts about all of these tractors!

Todd H. The top "dipstick" is for puting oil in the crankcase and the "dipstick" on the side is for checking the level. My 147 is made the same way and has it's original engine,as far as I know. The top dipstick is not intended to reach the crankcase.

Bobby Bowman

A touchy hydro can be caused by either rust or paint between the trunion bracket and the side plate. If you hold the trunion bracket and move the side plate, the side plate should move compressing the small spring until the big spring takes over and moves the trunion bracket. You need a little give here for smooth speed or direction changes.

Since you just rebuilt the trunion and replaced the springs that area should be good.

When you start out does your wheels spin, or when you step on the brake does it slide the rear wheels even if your brakes are adjusted properly?

I have one that does that and no matter how I adjust things it is always erratic. I am going to replace the hydro and if that solves the problem I am going to tear down the hydro I removed and I suspect I will find damaged valve plates. That's my guess.

Todd,

I have an interesting story about a 147 dipstick. When my Dad's cousin passed away, his 147 was up for auction. It had some sentimental value to me, as I had mowed his grass with it sometimes as a kid. When I was looking it over, another guy pulled the dipstick and made the comment "looks like he was running it without the proper level of oil". I nodded and said "yea, the engine is probably trashed", knowing full well he always took great care of that 147. It was his pride and joy.

Well I got it for a good deal and have been running it for the past ten years without an engine rebuild, although it's probably long overdue.

I have another 147 project that belonged to my wife's grandfather. I had originally bought it from my brother-in-law as a part's tractor, but I'm now planning to restore it to working condtion. Did I mention I'm becoming quite fond of 147s?

Bruce

JAMES M. - re Your PTO clutch. I'd leave the pulley for the starter/generator with the PTO drive basket alone. A Quarter inch is a HUGE adjustment to the locations of the PTO components. I'd adjust the PTO bearing ahead just a bit, maybe 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch. You didn't mention how far the pulley moved back when it "Popped" back into place but You were REAL close until that happened.

Todd H.
It looks like your 147 probably originally had the dipstick next to the S/G, as most of the narrow frames did. The alternate location was on the cam cover, and was popular with the wide frame models. I went the other way on my 129, it originally had the dipstick on the cam cover, but I ended up using a block that had the dipstick over by the S/G. As long as you have adequate clearance, no sense changing anything, but I suspect that the engine is a "hybrid" of some type.

BRUCE - The determining factor of where the dipstick is located is whether the block had balance gears or not. The top mounted dipstick extends right down where the balance gears live & work. I always preferred that location because I think it stays cleaner than the cam cover location.

My K321 I rebuilt had another dipstick location on it, used on the Q/L's if I remember right, small square plate in the front lower right corner of the block as installed in a CC. The dipstick tube was verticle and then bent into the crankcase beneath the balance gears. This style wasn't usable on earlier CC's because the starter/generator was too close to the block. The Q/L's used a smaller block-mounted flywheel starter which freed up enough room for that style of dipstick.

Morning guys. I hope all is well at Frank C this morn! he is not answering the phone.Hope the news of the 123 was cool with the wife and he still is well today. lol well went to start my D this morning and the key switch is broken off inside ! so i`am off to have a new 1 installed.dang its cutting into my 129 refurbish . Have a great cub day all. Later Don T
old.gif

Bruce,Dennis,Todd

My 126 which has a factory replacement engine that my dad installed years ago also has a side dipstick on the cam gear cover,but it is not the same as my 147. It is larger in diameter and has a regular dipstick and there is no dipstick tube on the other side. That engine also had balance gears unlike the original 126 engine which the owners manual shows with the dipstick tube by the generator. My owners manual shows the 147 as having the two dipstick setup

What size are the multi layer washers thats folks replace the throtle shaft bushing with? Also how much can a head warp before its to late?

DIGGER-thanks for the correction....that IH cubcadet 123 was the first hydro! i should have known this {lol!} boy, what a nice day, going out to get some work done.....and let the cubbie run a bit!

Both my 147s are 1972 makes and have both dipstick tubes - one on the lower left by the cam and the other next to the S/G. The dipstick in the tube by the S/G is a "dummy", in that it is just the handle with a short (about 2 inch) stub that doesn't near reach the oil level. That's what I was referring to about "running it with out the proper level of oil". I'm wondering if the 1972 model was a "transition' from the long dipstick tube by the S/G to the sort one by the cam cover.

Thanks to all for the dipstick info. My 147 was built in 1970, and has the long tube by the S/G and the dipstick does appear to be funtional. But it may not be original. I wiped the grime off a decal on the muffler tin that instructs you to check the oil level using the cam cover location. I will try to get a pic of it tonight.

OOPs! I can't seem to access any threads past yesterday for some reason.

anyway someone (I'm sorry I forgot who) said i might need to replace a bearing at the hydro end of the drive shaft... is it part number 43 in this image?

114476.jpg

thanks

-everett

Everett...when at the 'home page', where you select the Sandbox or Forum or Classifieds, etc, go to the bottom and click The Vault. Wayyy down at the bottom you will find the recent postings. Dont do this if ur on dial-up...could be a while.

Finally cleared for work by the Doc! After a month of thumb twiddling, I am going to finally pick up that 104. Hopefully on Wenseday. I will post pics of it when I get it back home. I have found at least 3 potential cubs for transplant to my home. The Mrs. said she didnt care about the 104 as long as "there arent tractors all over the place"! I think I can squeeze 3 of them in the shed and I can store up to 6 across the street!! I will be able to get right to work on the 104 because the Doc said I have no restrictions and told me I need not worry about "tearing" open.....ever. Wahoo!!

Latest posts

Back