• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 22, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drglinski

displayname
Daniel Glinski
My CC told me last week it doesn't like rain or freezing rain it'd much prefer snow. I agree.

Just finished clearing my driveway with my 123. A few observations:

1. The tractor started without hesitation;
2. The belt on the snowthrower stayed tight;
3. I didn't lose the lift lever thumb button;
4. Generally, it did a nice job.

My only difficulty: Knowing which way to turn the chute so I won't get whitewashed. Let's just say I was less than successful with that one... and no, I didn't have it pointed toward the driver...
roflol.gif

Now where is that guy from a few pages back that got his feathers all ruffled up by the weather forecast being on here...

May he's out in the shop working on his cub.

Thanks Tony for the info on the 1100, it has a blown engine and not sure what to do with it

NIC - That was Myron..... guess he forgot to tell THE BEAR...errr I mean Charlie that we're only supposed to talk about IH Cub Cadets in this forum, not the weather or removing snow, etc. MAN... You would think the OWNER of this site would obey the rules wouldn't ya?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Guess Myron wasn't here twelve years ago on Sept. 11th, sometimes we talk about OTHER things besides CC's.

Ouch, Charlie, Monday night looks brutal. I'm in NE Nebraska for Christmas, where it's sunny and the temps are running about 20 degrees warmer than back in MN. The 1250 you hauled from Nebraska for me several years back, lives here again with my grandson. But it doesn't have a blade or snow thrower so it's good that there's no snow here. My profile photo is the "after" shot of that 1250.

Stay warm, Digger. We're getting more minutes of daylight now that Winter finally arrived, so you only have about four more months of cold weather before road construction season gets there!

Now don't go picking on Myron, he's a good guy. I'm guessing he was just in bad mood.

265823.jpg

Hello here:
I have a question on adding power steering to my CC.
Does anyone have experience finding power steering valves from combines and the like to accomplish this, what models to look for etc.
Thanks
Larry

I have been working on a Cub Cadet 125. I fitted a JD snow blower to it. I have the original auxilary hydraulic pump. I had the original cylinder which was about 1.5" bore but not salvageable. I purchased another cylinder with 1.5" bore, rod is much beefier. My questions. What type of fluid needs to be put in the reservoir? I used ATF. Do I NEED hydraulic fluid? Also, I did not bleed the air out of the hoses, but the cylinder did operate. However it does not seem to have the strength needed to raise the blower. If I help it, it comes up and will stay up. I can lower it but I would think it would lift the front of the tractor a bit.

I'm not a hydraulic guy. I have no idea if the pump worked before we got it. Should I have bled the air out of the lines and cylinder first?

Are these pumps tough to rebuild? The front seal is seeping behind the pulley.

Also, is it tough to find the original clutch and linkage that mounted to the engine output shaft (front of the tractor)? The owner before us "locked" it up. I don't have the linkage. I'm driving the blower from it and don't like the idea that it spins all the time. If I can't find an original, I'm thinking of finding a belt drive centrifugal clutch.

Marty, ATF is hydraulic fluid. I'm certain it's not the listed fluid in the manual, but I also run it in mine, never an issue. The cylinder will self bleed, raising and lowering a few times will help purge out the air. But if the pump isn't making the pressure, the unit may have other issues. Does the pump sound noisy when trying to raise the lift? If it does, the fluid may need refilling until you get the air our completely.

Larry,

What model CC are you looking to added P/S to? It's probably easiest to find the Power steering unit off an Off Topic 1864 or 2064. That will be the least amount of fab work and have the right orbital valve in it. And just a heads up, it's probably best to start a thread for this in the "better than new" area. That way all the input you get stays in one easy to read thread.

Marty,
A used working front PTO should be easy to find, the linkage only slightly harder. Email the sponsors above or post in the wanted section. You'll likely have one at your door before the new year. The hardest part is going to be getting the set screws loose on the current one. Start spraying them with PB Blaster or something stronger now. And there are double screws in those holes. So....Don't just pull it off with a pulley puller w/o taking out the screws or you'll need a new bearing too and maybe a new puller if you break it trying.

Marty,

I'm also going to go ahead and make this slightly inappropriate jab:
Maybe your cub doesn't want those JD parts hanging off its face and is refusing to cooperate. J/k of course
beerchug.gif

Got great seat time on my cubs and pics, but they will have to wait untill tomorrow...
gotta go

We ended up getting about 6 to 7 inches of the white stuff here in east central WI! Finally!
bannana_guitar.gif
bannana_guitar.gif
So I decided to use the 682 Cubbie and the 450 with electric lift. It was working great blowing the snow and I'm getting the hang of this electric lift setup which is super convenient. It was a fun couple of hours though. I started at my friends house who has a 125. I helped him get it set up for snow removal and then blew out about a fourth of his 250' drive before he wanted to finish it! I passed the Yellow fever on to him a couple of years ago when his throw away blew up on him. He dropped me back at my place and I started by getting the two links on the Cubbies rear treads. I had about half of my drive done when one of the power cables to my electric winch broke and I couldn't lower it
angry.gif
! I was angry for a moment or two, then I smiled when I realized that this would just give me the opportunity for some seat time on yet another Cub! That's what I'm talkin' about. I got out the CubKub and blade and finished most of the remainder. My family got home from Grandmas about this time and my oldest son Caleb got a little seat time on the big diesel to plow some snow for the first time! All in all, a fun couple of hours on the Cubs! I wish I had some pics but it was dark and no one was home to take them. Maybe next time. I can't wait to see the ones that you post Jeff!!!
bouncy.gif

Kraig,

Thatnks for the response to dropping 'any' engine in. Yeah, Stupid me, didn't really think, In my mind I'm thinking the Drivetrain is connected to the Crank Shaft like 'normal'. The Cub has the shaft to run the PTO and the drive train is run off the Flywheel side of the engine. Wow, why did they do it that way?
It was in the upper 50's by me. With no snow in the forecast, Took the rims off and painted them. Didn't finish until late.. didn't want to put fresh painted rims on in the rain. I'll give them until tonight for the paint to harden up a bit. Temps dropping about 30 degrees by tomorrow morn. Weird weather in NY. This freebie tractor is slowly coming around. As you guys mentioned back a few months ago.. I think I am losing it to my wife. "Terry , I painted the rims on that tractor." You mean you painted the rims on MY tractor, and call it Tug." Not bad considering I thought I would catch hell for bringing it home in the first place.

Had a great time moving snow here yesterday but it was tough sledding what with the coating of ice under everything. My oldest son had the 1250 blade w/wide turfs, chains & weights and had the best luck with it.

The newly O/H'd 1450(last spring) did a fair job w/the QA42A & rebuilt gearbox & windbreaker but again, tough getting around w/the ags and no chains. Had about 150 #'s plus me. So we put on a set of 8'50's and chains instead and then she really walked the dog. Had about 8" here I believe or thereabouts. The 1000 & Blade did well also but I have to angle the exhaust up and away from the blade. Being rusty as it is and being warmed by the exhaust caused it to get iced & frozen then te snow wouldn't roll off it very well.

All in all, I'm sure glad we got it all done yesterday as it's -7 here this AM and going to be at least -15 tonite. Glad I have the new furnace installed and I'm expecting clutch parts from MWSC to show up today. They will get installed in the 1200. Per Ricks advice I went w/the Kevlar discs, new springs, pins, T/O bearing and lever. Had the plates resurfaced also. Now, If I can just get it to quit jumping out of 2nd when plowing......

Latest posts

Back