• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1973 Cub Cadet 128 - New Owner

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredreed

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1973 Cub Cadet 128. I was searching for an XT2 for some snow-blowing duties for the upcoming winter, and happened across this awesome 128. After pondering it and talking it over for the wife, I decided I didn't want to let this slip away. I honestly bought it just for the novelty and to have some fun with my daughter.

I was told it was restored about 4 years ago, and as you can see it has a few non original modifications like the exhaust and the actuator for the plow. I'm afraid to admit what I paid for it to all you seasoned enthusiasts, but I paid 1000 cash. It came with a CC trailer and a CC plow.

I am new to Cub Cadet, and new to vintage tractors. Please feel free to share any and all information on the 128, and anything you'd like to point out on the tractor. I'd love to learn more about it.

It runs and drives great. I think it is running a little rich. It smokes a bit when cold, black smoke, and it misted me with a little fuel a couple times today.

I have really enjoyed driving it around my property and towing my daughter around in it with the trailer it came with.

52941067484_89d8655189_b.jpg

52940319832_66bcb37da8_b.jpg

52940319502_c366071a12_b.jpg

52941380618_94ff0fe3b2_b.jpg

52941066974_99f7b63f0a_b.jpg

52941066629_6fd15827cf_b.jpg

Welcome Jared!
Looks like someone did a good job refurbishing it. You did not pay too much. A 128 was my first cub, and I spent over 2K fixing it up. Those tires, more than likely cost over $400.
Find the frequently asked questions on this site and read through them. That will help you a lot.
You should frame the pic of you and your daughter, and hang it on a wall in your home. That will be something to treasure a few years from now.
Do you have any pics of the trailer and plow? Pics of the motor would be nice too.
Enjoy it, it's a super nice tractor! :bluethumbsup:

Welcome Jared!
Looks like someone did a good job refurbishing it. You did not pay too much. A 128 was my first cub, and I spent over 2K fixing it up. Those tires, more than likely cost over $400.
Find the frequently asked questions on this site and read through them. That will help you a lot.
You should frame the pic of you and your daughter, and hang it on a wall in your home. That will be something to treasure a few years from now.
Do you have any pics of the trailer and plow? Pics of the motor would be nice too.
Enjoy it, it's a super nice tractor! :bluethumbsup:

We frequently get pictures printed (by we I mean my wife), I already told her to add it to the list. I want to hang it out in the barn where the tractors live.

I don't have any pictures of the plow and trailer yet. I'll get some when I am able and add them to the thread.

And thank you for the kind words on the tractor. I was really excited to find it and even more excited to own it. I plan on enjoying it for years to come. Then hopefully when she's a little taller, my daughter will start taking it for spins around the property.

Welcome Jared..imo you didn't pay to much for what you got! Looks nice!

Thank you, and thanks for the feedback. I felt the condition of the tractor and the vintage justified the price. It's nice to hear that from someone who knows what they are talking about...haha.

The headlights were an option. They are selling for around $100-$150 nowadays. I think I see a cig lighter there too. Those were an added option also. Not sure of it's value, if it is the original lighter.
What is that attached to the bottom of the implement lift lever? It appears to have a wire running to it.

The headlights were an option. They are selling for around $100-$150 nowadays. I think I see a cig lighter there too. Those were an added option also. Not sure of it's value, if it is the original lighter.
What is that attached to the bottom of the implement lift lever? It appears to have a wire running to it.

The Cig lighter is actually a kill switch. The previous owner bought this tractor for his son to play with and learn on, so he added the kill switch for additional safety. The same for the implement lever. That is an actuator to help lift the plow, as his son had trouble with it being so heavy. I haven't had the chance yet, but I will be removing it. OK, I had the chance today, but I wiped the tractor down and drove it around before work instead...haha.

Hi guys. Here are a few photos of the engine, plow, and trailer as requested. I also attached a photo of the serial number just incase you folks can look at it and see if there's anything worth mentioning about my specific tractor.

Just spent the last hour giving my daughter and her cousin rides in the trailer around the property. My wife said my smile was bigger than the girls...haha.

52944109200_2ddb9e6032_b.jpg

52944109860_3783af2e8b_b.jpg

52944109790_75962e4168_b.jpg

52944184733_4efefb0581_b.jpg

52943722591_1850586c44_b.jpg

52944184523_f4dbc36b85_b.jpg

52944109095_343ac02548_b.jpg

52943867484_b63b25b1b3_b.jpg

52944184198_eeaef628c6_b.jpg

52943121842_616dc56bb4_b.jpg

Everything looks good. I see an inline fuel filter. The cut off at the tank should have a screen filter on it that is up inside the tank. I guess double filtration is ok too. :errrr:
I see the pto basket, but it looks like the pto is not there. Did you get it from the previous owner?
Sad that they welded that extension to the muffler. Kinda looks like a diesel extension. Just my opinion, which is not worth much.
Wish my 128 would have been that nice when I got it.

I see you are the lucky family that ended up with the twin to my 128. I still have to rebuild a PTO clutch and install that along with the lever and rod and put on the taillights and install the wire harness for the lights yet as well. This one actually started out as a 1974 108 based off the serial number and has a replacement K301 engine that was repainted along with the rest of the tractor now making it a 12 horsepower and turning it into a 128. The other differences between our two tractors are this one has the 1 inch front spindles added on vs. the 3/4 inch and it also has rear lift with spring assist.
PXL_20230602_005741796.jpg

PXL_20230602_005723800.jpg

Great looking WF!
You are missing this decal for the oil fill as well as the PTO clutch linkage adjustment rods and turnbuckle.

Attachments

• DSCN8492 (3).JPG
    DSCN8492 (3).JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PTO rod set (2).JPG
    PTO rod set (2).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Great looking WF!
You are missing this decal for the oil fill as well as the PTO clutch linkage adjustment rods and turnbuckle.
Yep, I have to install the rods and turnbuckle as well once I do the clutch. Don't have the oil fill decal though on any of my wide frames unfortunately. Do you know if that decal is available to purchase anywhere online?

Back