• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1973 Cub Cadet 128 - New Owner

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She sure is a beauty,I'm glad you're enjoying it. That trailer looks in really good shape!

thanks, it's a blast. i'm very excited to have it.

Everything looks good. I see an inline fuel filter. The cut off at the tank should have a screen filter on it that is up inside the tank. I guess double filtration is ok too. :errrr:
I see the pto basket, but it looks like the pto is not there. Did you get it from the previous owner?
Sad that they welded that extension to the muffler. Kinda looks like a diesel extension. Just my opinion, which is not worth much.
Wish my 128 would have been that nice when I got it.

it did not come with the PTO basket. hopefully I can source one here at some point. it would be fun to put a deck on it and use it around the yard. I realize that the exhaust stack isn't original and a bit out of place, but I like it!

I see you are the lucky family that ended up with the twin to my 128. I still have to rebuild a PTO clutch and install that along with the lever and rod and put on the taillights and install the wire harness for the lights yet as well. This one actually started out as a 1974 108 based off the serial number and has a replacement K301 engine that was repainted along with the rest of the tractor now making it a 12 horsepower and turning it into a 128. The other differences between our two tractors are this one has the 1 inch front spindles added on vs. the 3/4 inch and it also has rear lift with spring assist. View attachment 154179
View attachment 154180

well thats very interesting! does that mean i have a converted 108 as well? i don't know how to decifer the serial numbers at all. that's really neat to see my tractors sibling...haha.

well thats very interesting! does that mean i have a converted 108 as well? i don't know how to decifer the serial numbers at all. that's really neat to see my tractors sibling...haha.
Your serial number is a 128 built Oct. 1971

Yep, I have to install the rods and turnbuckle as well once I do the clutch. Don't have the oil fill decal though on any of my wide frames unfortunately. Do you know if that decal is available to purchase anywhere online?
That decal was only for the K series with the cam cover dipstick & oil fill.

Even at the thousand dollars you gave for your tractor, front blade, and dump cart I think you got a decent deal. The guy who originally did the refurbish on your 128 as well as the one I have lives near Caro, Michigan. He has done a handful of different cubs over the past few years and puts a very nice paint job on them using iron guard paint and then a clear coat over top along with the new dee stone ag tires. I bought mine from him along with an old sleeve hitch cultivator and an older style brinly 10 inch plow. I know I went with the wrong color by painting the plow frame black after sandblasting it and by using the chrome brinly decals on it but it's going to be used on my 129 that is now far from being a stock factory machine so I wasn't very worried about keeping it the correct white color and thought the black plow would look good behind that tractor.
PXL_20230128_151344548.jpg
PXL_20230416_054850089.jpg
PXL_20230602_005921794.jpg

Jared,It seems difficult to justify the cost but ...for another 1000 you could have bought a plastic mower from a box store and it might make it 4 yrs...Taken care of this cub will last another 50 yrs.The guy who refurbed this didn't make squat on this 128..His hours of input to produce that great looking machine were NOT well paid,I can assure you of that !! We members realize the extreme quality that went into them the first time around....You just have to drive one to feel it...

Jared,It seems difficult to justify the cost but ...for another 1000 you could have bought a plastic mower from a box store and it might make it 4 yrs...Taken care of this cub will last another 50 yrs.The guy who refurbed this didn't make squat on this 128..His hours of input to produce that great looking machine were NOT well paid,I can assure you of that !! We members realize the extreme quality that went into them the first time around....You just have to drive one to feel it...

That's why I saw it and had to have it. Really happy I took an ignorant chance and picked up the tractor. It was clearly built well with lots of hours, sweat, and tears. Thank you for the input, I'm sure my wife will sleep easier knowing I made a good purchase... :errrr:

My daughter and I have had a blast with it thus far.

I know you folks aren't big on the new stuff, but I cleaned out the barn this weekend so both tractors had a real parking spot instead of being crammed into the corner.

I like seeing the two next two each other and appreciating the 45 years that separate them.

52955263878_2d81b29037_b.jpg
Don't worry, you're not the only one that likes the new cubs as well.
20211206_172841.jpg
20220130_120457.jpg
20220225_184935.jpg

That xt3 blower is an absolute animal. A foot of average u.p. Michigan snow, I just bury the go pedal to the floor and let her eat! Blows the snow an insane distance. I just wish it was built with thicker steel for the housings. I haven't bent anything yet, or have a complaint from the construction. My old school mind just thinks more steel is more better.

My favorite cub toy, is the 33 ton log splitter. Far and away the heaviest residential use splitter I've seen.

And the yard cart is crazy tough. I was leary of the plastic body, but I regularly pull it behind my atv, full of maple, oak, and cherry down two track roads at 20-25mph. It takes every bit of abuse I give it. I also fold the sides down, and haul milled boards from my mill to the wood shed for drying. Yesterday I had 8, 12 quarter cherry boards, 10 foot long, and ranging from 12-16 inches wide, stacked on the little cart. I'm sure it didn't like it, but she hauled it!

Jay, not an artist veiwpoint but ..the older model reminds me of an older scaled down Macktruck ,the newer xt looks like an adapted football helmet...both cool machines
The 1650 is built like a mack truck as well! The newer xt2, not so much. But for the price, American made with the kawi engine, it'll last me a while. At least until the next body style comes out! 😂

Back