• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 14, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FRAME HOLES
Jerry, I don't have a clue how you made that post, but I think you went where Man has never gone.
uhoh.gif

Thanks for the info on the why take out the balance gears. It seams that they are the weak point of the K engine. They are probably turning at a pretty good rate. Do you notice any different in the sound when the balance gears are gone.
Thanks again. I may be back when I receive all of the parts and start putting it back together.
Earl LaMott

theres a little more vibrations at low idle but smooths out at higher RPMs.... i cant say ive noticed a differance in sound...but thats not to say that there isnt!

Refer to pictures in the previous post.

R1: Wiring harness
R2 & R3: Early mule drive
R4: Frankenstein bolt
R5: Timed deck
R6: Wiring harness, timed deck
R7 & R8: Electric lift
R9, R10, & R12: Hydraulic unit
R11: Wiring harness
R13 & R16: Lift quadrant
R14 & R15: Rockshaft bracket
R17:
R18: Transaxle mounting
R19 & R20: Sleeve hitch bracket

L1:
L2 & L3: Early mule drive
L4: Frankenstein bolt
L5 & L6: Timed deck
L7:
L8:
L9:
L10:
L11:
L12:
L13: Brake lock lever
L14 & L15: Rockshaft bracket
L16:
L17:
L18: Transaxle mounting
L19 & L20: Sleeve hitch bracket

I filled in with info provided by others and a couple that I has left blank unintentionally. That actually accounts for all the holes on the right side except 17. Does it have something to do with mounting round fenders?

I'm willing to believe that all the unaccounted holes on the left except 17 are just carryovers from the right unless someone knows better.

Matt S. brings up an interesting question that I intended to raise eventually. How do the loader mid-frames mount to the tractor?

Jerry

Earl:
Check with the professional Kohler rebulders in your area and ask <u>them</u> what they do.... you might get a different story (keeping in mind that they probably would not put <u>used </u> balance gear components, especially bearings back in..) Be sure to ask them also if there was ever a TSB from either Kohler of IHC about deleting the gears...
clappy.gif

Jerry Muncie, It seems people like to include the 70/100 as a NF. So with that in mind I will point out that neither of my 100's have all those holes in the frame. I'm going from memory but I know that they don't have the holes for either hydraulic or electric lift. Hope this helps you.

Richard P.-

They're not going to have those holes because the electric lift was not offered at the time, and the installation of the hydraulic lift required drilling holes. As the years progressed, more and more holes were added to the frames, it seems.

Earl, The gears tend to knock/rattle at certain engine speeds especially if they have some hours on them. The first one I did was really noisey and the reason it tore it down. After I fixed it and it was so much quieter I discovered I could hear the knock/rattle in my other one,not as loud,but definately there. Once you know what to listen for its easier to detect. I once had them running side by side one without the gears and one with. The one without the gears,especially at lower speeds, vibrated more,but full throttle under load you can't really tell any difference.

Were all nf hydraulics an add on at or after purchase?

Since Kohler used balance gears in some versions of the K series A/AS engines, I wonder why they decided not install them in the K series AQS engines used in the quietline models (and with a different oil pan, I believe it was used in some other brands)?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Richard & Matt,

I would also include the 70 & 100 in the narrow frame category. For what I'm doing here, we could also include the Original, although only the holes in the front part of the frame would be relevant.

I know that holes were added over the years, but apparently unused holes were never deleted. I'm wanting to put together a chart that shows what the purpose of the holes are and whether or not they're present on each model. I'll eventually be adding the holes on the top and bottom of the rails to the chart.

Right now I'm working on mounting brackets for a hydraulic pump and valves for my 126. I figure anybody wanting to add hydraulics to a narrow frame could use it if I design it to bolt up to all they models. Anybody developing accessories & equipment could use this kind of info.

Even without the current motivation to gather this info, I've always been curious about why there are so many holes in the frame.

Jerry

Jerry, the original is not really a narrow frame. The engine sits on top of the U frame sterring is on the opposite side, I'm not mister original but those don't share much of anything with the later models. Granted the rear end but even that has several differences not shared with any other model.

Dave, you're right. I was thinking the frame around the engine would be similar to later narrow frames. I forgot about the engine sitting higher. Not much in common at all. Jerry

Maybe it's just me, being from Wisconsin... all this talk about holes in the Cub Cadet frame has got me thinking Swiss Cheese.
proud.gif

182557.jpg

...which makes me think of the TV commercial that airs about this time of year. The little girl comes downstairs to a ROOMFUL of gifts. Her parents ask what kind of cookies she left for Santa and she says "I didn't leave him cookies, I left him CHEESE". She's just so darn cute, the way she says it you have to smile.
biggrin.gif

Kraig,

Did you "cut the cheese"?
clappy.gif

Kohler did NOT ever release any service bulletins about removing the balance gears; trust me on that, I was there. To the best of my knowledge IHC never did either. It has become standard practice by lots of rebuilders, I for example never reinstall them. The risk of "grenading" is so real I prefer to go without every time. The minor difference in vibration at certain speeds is so insignificant to most everyone.

More critical is watching camshaft end play and fit on the camshaft's support shaft. If wear is evident it will be a noisy engine, as one with excessive endplay will be. Watch carefully!

Jim, who me?
dunno.gif
Absolutely not, I just posted a photo of it.
angel.gif

I just bought a cw36 for my 105. When I picked it up the guy said he could not find the angle drive and part of the mounting hardware but he thought that the cw36 could use part of the setup that is used for the qa42. I have several 42's complete including the lift rod and lift lever bracket. Can I use some of the parts to make this work? Here is a photo of what I have with the cw36.
182560.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back