• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 10, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray -

Ever hear of Framingham, MA? Think about it...

Jim E., could you please send me the info on the Cat 0 hitches also?

Thank you
Shawn H.

a Framinghammer? could that refer to someone living in Framingham, MA? heh. the Framingham that's about 20 min west of Boston or 1-1/2 hours East of Amherst?

personally, i prefer box as opposed to common. the lumber we use is generally wet enough to put a 16D (3-1/4") in with two or three swings. that was before AIR became so popular. keep away from those checked head hammers if you value the skin on your hand, they will eventually get you. the 20oz Estwings are nice.

Kraig:

It's clean, no rust, and a fresh coat of paint. After it cooled down a bit the plugging issue went away for the most part. I was going to get some slip plate but this was more of an experiment then anything. Dad has a plow just a mile down the road.
happy.gif
I would like to use the thrower as backup though.

I'll crank down on that belt a bit more, my manual said one turn, but I bet 3 would do the trick!

Like a said, the snow was deep where I started. About two hours from here they got 41" inches (Rangely, ME), set a record for the first snow storm!

Charlie, :eek:)

Someone say "framing hammer"? BTW, that's me on the scaffolding with the air nailer.
14386.jpg

OK, problem!

I've spit the driveshaft off my QA36A on my 169, seems to happen when I'm driving the thrower and raise it up, when I turn off power the U-joint comes off the right angle box, throwing the key towards the unknown. I've really beared down on the set screw with no luck, the last time I was out I threw snow for an hour with no problems so hopefully I've got it kicked, any tips or tricks that I'm missing?

Here's my framing hammer. This and the last photo taken while working on the addition to the hunting cabin in May of 2000. And yes, I have photos of darn near everything..... :eek:)

14388.jpg

Kraig-
Bostich? Ack puth ack! Senco is what I was raised on, probably shot 100 boxes of nails working for Dad.

Wyatt, the nailer is not mine, my father bought it for use on the cabin addition. It seems to work just fine though. Here's another photo taken while working on the cabin addition that could come in handy next time someone says something bad about slant grill Cubs, note the shirt. :eek:p

14390.jpg

Nate F, Ray L, Wyatt C, Tedd I-
Regarding the talk on framing hammers:
Basically, there are two types; one with a smooth face, and one with a checked/milled/serrated face. The reported purpose of the rough face is to reduce slipping off a nail head. The real purpose of the rough face is to entirely eliminate the chance of getting a blood blister, since it will in one swift move both mash the stuffing out of your thumb/finger and efficiently rip off the skin. If there's nothing left to hold in the blood, it can't form a blister. Makes it so much easier for the doctor to find the nail shrapnel, wood splinters, and bone fragments, too.

Matt, if the snow was wet and sticky Slip-Plate or graphite paint would surely help. Since I coated the snowthrower with a graphite paint it rarely plugs up even with wet snow, if it does plug it is easily unplugged from the driver's seat by simply raising the snowthrower and then dropping it, the "bump" will usually unplug the discharge chute.

Wyatt,
When a set screw worked loose I would use a longer set screw and put a jam nut on it if there is enough room. I've also had good luck with liquid thread locker in the past.

Kraig,
Is that your 125 throwing that far? NICE!!!

What is the standard diameter sheave on a 42a?

And, has anyone ever tried to experiment with larger sheaves, say 1/2" to 1" larger? Wonder if it would choke up the chute? A larger sheave would definately increase the auger speed without increasing engine rpm. Might be worth a try.

Also, where can one get some slip plate? I need a fix!! Promise I won't sniff it!
Marcus

Marcus -

Yes, I've had a larger pulley for a couple years now - someone was kind enough to post all the math to show the RPM increase back then, don't know if that post still exists in someone's files.

As always, it won't plug IF you adjust your speed accordingly.

Real bona fide Slip Plate? Grainger, C&G, many if not all Case/<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> dealers, yadda yadda...

Wyatt -

Yeah, my bad...

Too busy catching up on all these membership map entries...

Kraig, Rich, or Shawn,

I got an email bounced from one of you but I can't tell which. Something to do with an email address for "rccaz" or "redcub". I used the email addresses from your profiles. Let me know who it missed.

Jim

Latest posts

Back