• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Wide Frame Blade Information

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snicklas

displayname
Scott Nicklas
@Johnnyboy

Here is a picture I have quick access too..

0605D6F8-C29D-474F-A9E1-E414656E0D28.jpeg

This is my Twin-Stick 1450 with a 42” blade installed. If you look, there are 3 pieces needed to install the blade.

1 - The Blade itself, which is the pushing blade, and the “box” extending back toward the tractor. If you look close, you can see the IH decal on it.

2 - The undercarriage. This is the white piece you can see behind the front tire. This has 2 holes at the very front the blade attaches to / pivots to raise and lower. Two short risers with pins that snap into the quick attach on the front (hidden behind the tire in this picture). The undercarriage extends back and the forks in the back of the arms go around the rod across the bottom of the tractor and under the running boards. On a wide frame/Quietline, the arms go inside the frame rails. This is the same bar the fork on the mower deck undercarriage uses.

3 - The lift rod. This is the white rod connected to the lift plate next to your right foot, and down to the blade.

Those constitute a front blade. This is on a Wide Frame/Quietline, but all generations need those 3 main pieces, appropriate for their model (the blade itself is the same, the undercarriage and lift rod differ). Some also need the additional piece to connect to the lift arm by your right foot. I don’t think the connection point was incorporated until the wide frame tractors (86, 1x8/9 models)

Also, not part of the blade setup, you can see the chains on the rear tire, which for snow is important.

Most blades out there are a manual angle blade. Which as you have seen, you have to get off the tractor and pull the pin on the blade and swing it. I don’t know of anything made to adjust a manual blade from the operators position. Not that something couldn’t be rigged... but nothing commercially produced.

A factory opinion, is what I have on this tractor. As mentioned, this is a Twin-Stick tractor. I have the hydraulic lift, but I also have a second control lever, that controls the hydraulic outlets on the front of the tractor (you can see both levers on the right side of the dash). With this, I can angle the blade from the seat. That is the two black hoses you can see going from the tractor to the blade.

if you need additional pictures, let me know. I still have the tractor set up for winter and could take more detailed photos.

Last edited:
You seem to know a lot about blades I just picked up my first cub it's a 72 149 no attachments I'm going to do a restore and starting to look for attachments but don't know if it's a wide frame or not ?

You seem to know a lot about blades I just picked up my first cub it's a 72 149 no attachments I'm going to do a restore and starting to look for attachments but don't know if it's a wide frame or not ?

I've been around IH Cub Cadets for a long time. The first cub I remember is Dad's 1972 149 that he bought in Spring of 1978 (he still has this tractor, and several more). A 149 is probably my favorite tractor.

Yes, a 149 is considered a Wide Frame.

There are 2 main designations in these tractors, narrow frame and wide frame.

Narrow frames start with the Original and go through the 73-1x6/7 series tractors. There are some breaks even in the narrow frames.

The Original is kinda unique to itself, it has a belt to a clutch/driveshaft a fairly no PTO Clutch standard and it's attachments bolt on

The 70, 100 , 71-1x2/3 are a "bolt on" or non quick attach narrow frame.

The 72-1x4/5 and the 73-1x6/7 are quick attach narrow frames. It has a clamp system the front the undercarriage locks into

The Wide Frames start with the 86-1x8/9 and technically go through the "Cyclops" (I think) tractors that CCC/MTD produced.

The wide frames have split in them also.

The 86-1x8/9 and Quietlines (800, 1x00/1x50) tractors. They are extremely similar, and they are all quick attach, and use a 1/2 belt.

The 82 Series (4,5,6,782) and up are technically a Wide Frame, however, the frame is different that a 1x8/9/Quietline frame. The area where the engine sits is much different, to be able to fit the horizontally opposed Kohler Twins IH Started using (they are sometime referred to as a "spread frame") They will fit the same undercarriages (for some attachments), but the 82 Series and up use a 5/8 belt, and the quick attach pins on the belt mule drive is in a different place, the mule drives that use a belt are ~1 inch closer to the front). The tiller I use on my 1450 came off a 782. I just had to change the bottom pulley on the rear angle drive, and I used a mule drive we had for our 149. Even if I had changed the pulleys on the 782's drive, they pulleys would have been in the wrong place.

Latest posts

Back