Archive through December 02, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Bill "QQ" J...... Just to be clear, the left hand foot pedal on your 109 is really a BRAKE pedal... it's got linkage to the hydro control to put the hydro in neutral while stopping the tractor assuming it's still got brake pads on it and they haven't been soaked with Hytran from leaking axle seals...
clappy.gif

Also for all: Note that at 7:32 AM this morning, Dennis set a record for the shortest post he's ever made, and it's 100% accurate....
err.gif

I guess it's time to see if one of the Cubs in the back shed will fire up.
This living in town crap is for the birds, LOL
3rd time shoveling the drive today without a Cub, Grrrrr
10" deep and gettin deeper!
265121.jpg

265122.jpg

Gerry Ide

lol yours is shorter !

No snow here and I have not even got anything ready yet to use. I do have a 450 for my diesel but don`t have the blower installed. A broom last week was all I needed to clean off our deck. Might put a blade on the atv in the am because my tractor and chains make such a mess of the paved drive.

I have learned the hard lesson not to trust Cub brakes with a loaded trailer. I carry a block of wood now to keep my tractor where I part it .
whistling.gif
facepalm.gif

Charlie, we only got a couple inches of wet slushy snow yesterday.

GERRY - Thanks for noticing my post from yesterday morning.
yikes.gif

JOHN L. - re lug count or spacing on ag tires, My 23-8.50 'Stones actually have more lugs than my 26-12.00's do, they're spaced closer together. More rubber on the ground makes for a smoother ride, and in 75% of situations, makes more traction. My 26-12.00's on the 982 you can actually feel the lugs contact and leave contact when rnning on my concrete driveway.

I was happy to see Miller Tire copied the lug spacing from the 23-8.50's when they had the molds for their 23-10.50 tires made.

This contacting and leaving contact with hard surfaces has caused problems on full size tractors. Good Year had to develop their Dyna-Torque tread design to prevent severe cab & ROPS shake & shuddering on something called a "Sound-Gard Cab back around 1980. The "Control Centers" on IH tractors didn't have the problem. I've actually run full size tractors with Sound-Gard cabs and the shuddering can be extreme. Dad had a new pair of GY Power-Torque tires put on his open station 4010 JD when he bought it used in 1968, and you could even feel the tire induced shaking & shuddering on it on hard surfaced roads, just no cab around you to make it seem worse. Dad had a pair of HY Super-Torque tires the same size as the Power-Torque's on the 450 Farmall the 4010 replaced and they never seemed to bother that tractor. It was a "Brand Specific issue, the Firestone, Armstrong, & BF Goodrich tires didn;t have the problem.

Years ago companies like Bobcat and others made small compact skid-steer loaders with 23-8.50X12 R-4 tires, http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.best-used-tractors.com/tractor_tires/images/tire2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.best-used-tractors.com/tractor_tires/industrial_tractor_tires.htm&h=250&w=151&sz=15&tbnid=HaSUbMc-dfE6BM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=61&zoom=1&usg=__N8C6yJdlqC0ZttgqkfkWYGZ-kxU=&docid=zZuSnsvAC-WeIM&sa=X&ei=NfGdUuGNIMS72AXxxYG4AQ&ved=0CGYQ9QEwBQ they'd fit right on the rear wheels of CC's & other GT's. I almost bought a pair of them, thought they would have had a better balance between traction on soft dirt and more rubber contact for mowing and running on hard paved surfaces. Plus they had more plies than GT tires, 4, 6, and sometimes 8 plies. You could almost run them with Zero PSI of air pressure.

VINCE - SON tried to clean our driveway about 8-9 yrs ago with my #1 snow mover with the loader bucket instead of the blade, and NO tire chains. He couldn't even get the tractor to the top of the slope of our driveway in 4-5 inches of snow. When I got home I spent the two hours putting the chains on, and installing the blade in place of the bucket, then I pushed his little pile of snow all the way up the slope and across the road.. the same slope he couldn't even drive up.

Chains make a HUGE difference. If you don't have chains, you need MASSIVE amounts of weight. On a CC, 500-1000#, on a full size tractor like mine, probably 2000-2500#.

Thaks onall te htire info.

John L mentioned original equipment was Good Year .. That's what's on my tractor at this time. I wonder if they are original.
They are a bit cracked on the sidewalls.. Tubes are in them. Maybe original. Speaking of tubes, can't seem to find 23x 10.5x12 tubes only 23 x 8.5 x 12.

Dennis,
I would think that the "Bobcat" type tires would suck. Took hard adn stiff. I think the profile or being square or flat on the surface/contact area would make them like slicks.

Now on the tire chain mounting from a few weeks back <font size="-2">(Been busy farmin', but done now)</font>. What aways worked for me was to let all of the air out of the tires, mount the tire chain as tight as you can get them and then air up the tires.

Tom Hoffman
I think ATV type tires would be the best on a Cub . I can push a full 54" blade of snow and not spin at all in two wheel drive. No extra weight is needed. I bet a set on the back of a Cub and some wheel weight and I would not need chains. I see these on this site and would like someday to try a pr. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/723/ATV-Tires-All

I currently have Titan 489's(I think) on the back of my 1600. They work GREAT even without tire chians.
image{1}
My next "worker tractor" will have the Carlisle all trail ATV's on it.
265129.jpg

Hello all,
Well it's been maybe a year since I've been on the forum. I hope everyone has had a Happy Thanksgiving.

I was running my 100 the other day and the old girl just died on me for no apparent reason. I cleaned the carb. It's getting air and gas. It doesn't seem to be getting spark. I replaced the points, condenser, coil, and plug and checked the ground on the battery. Still no spark.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm about to start looking at the wiring harness.

Thanks.

Thanks very much for the information about the ACR and the link to the engine manual. From what I've read I think it's working somewhere near it's design scope. I don't know what the engine is cranking at, it's well below 75 rpm's
but it starts. So I guess it's ok. I can't get much into it now. they're calling for snow on Thursday and I'm getting the blade and chains out and on.

I do have one small question. I've got a leak on the bead of one of the front tires. They're 2 ply tubless turf tires. I tried to loosen it up at the bead, lube it and reseat it but it just got worse. I'm thinking about putting some slime in but I don't know if that will work. I'm a little leary of putting too much pressure on these 2 plys, to try to reseat the bead, I don't want to blow one up in my face. Is there any safe way to fix a leak like this and worse case, can I put a tube inside of one of these tubeless tires?

Thanka sgain,

Tony Simpson

TOM - In spite of the tops of tractor tires being rounded up where there's no load on them, where the rubber meets the road, or grass, or dirt, you will have a flat contact patch, which you want, for maximum traction. The fact those R-4 tires are already flat, and stiff because they have a thicker casing, more plies than a GT tire, they won't bulge where there's no load. Less flexing of the tire casing against the inner tube, plus greater resistance to punctures I would think. But they should still deform to smooth the ride over irregular surfaces. I've read on another forum that foam filled tires ride terrible on GT's, the R-4's should be better, maybe not as smooth as a 2-ply but not like a solid rubber tire.

My 23-8.50 Firestones are only 2-ply, same as the factory GY turfs. I run them around 8-9 PSI so the entire tread bar contacts the ground. Easy to tell on my dusty shop floor when the tires are damp. On my 982, the 26-12.00's are 4-ply, and 4-1/2 to 5 PSI is plenty. With those R-4 skid-steer tires 2-3 PSI in the inner tube, just to hold the tire bead onto the bead of the rim would be enough pressure.

I've always run my tire chains loose, so the cross chains flop around. It was no big deal on the old 70, no fenders. Plus it had turf tires, the factory 6-12 GY Pizzaw-Cutters. On my #1 snow mover, 23 deg. ag lug tires, a tight chain guarantees the cross chains will work their way down between the lugs and not even touch the concrete. So I run them loose also. Every time I clean the driveway, I have a couple times where I spin out, hit the brake of the spinning tire, other wheel spins. I raise the blade, back up then drive ahead and get the cross chains over the lugs, drop the blade and push the pile of snow I spun out on just seconds before anywhere I want it. So no deflating tires, and reinflating them here. Plus when the #1 snow mover had 50 gal. of CaCl in each rear tire, there wasn't a whole lot of air volume to let out.

If your side chains are sized properly, there's NO WAY a chain can ever work it's way off a tire. I've used chains on CC's for over 30 yrs, and on large Farmall's for 20 yrs. NEVER EVER had a chain come off. Well,.... I did loose a great little 6 ft long log chain off the Super H 2-3 yrs ago, had it drapped over the rear axle carrier wound around the clamps for the drawbar like Dad & I always did since before I was born. I saw it laying in the snow a minute after it fell off. It's the handiest chain I have, use it ALL the time with the loaders to pick & carry stuff.

What works for me on my equipment on my driveway may not work for everybody. What works for you on your driveway probably won't work for me. And since Don T has a sealed blacktop drive, he doesn't want to spin chains on his sealer, while I gave up worrying about scratches on my concrete 20 yrs ago. Christmas Day 6 yrs ago SON & I cleaned the driveway before X-mas dinner, had both loader tractors out, Super H w/chains, M without chains. I could move more snow with a whisk broom than the M would move without chains on the concrete. But if you got it off the concrete, it did O-K on the crushed rock or frozen dirt/grass. But if you ever spun a rear tire, you were stuck. I had to pull SON out of situations 2-3 times. I've even had the Super H spin on frozen ground with the chains where I had a bit of a problem getting back out.

I think an ATV tire with a softer rubber compound on the tread rubber would work better on a GT for snow remoaval. Even an "HDAP" tire would be better, do a search, lots of discussions on other forums, but I don't know if they would be better than chains. They might be, but I don't think they make a 12.4X38 or 13.6X38 6-ply ATV tire. I'm still waiting for someone to put a pair of Bridgestone BLIZZAK's on a CC and see how they work for snow removal with no chains.

Tony, Denny will be posting here shortly to tell you to put a tube in the tire. I'd listen to him.
happy.gif

Ray, did you check for voltage at the coil?

Here's the schematics

TONY S. - Yes, stick an inner tube in that tire and forget about it ever leaking down again. And that green Slime really makes a mess of things, I will not use it. Most of the tires on my L&G equipment are marked "Tubeless" but all but four have inner tubes... the four 18-8.50X8 tires on my Pronovost P503 tandem axle hyd dump cart still don't have inner tubes, but no leaks either... YET! EVERYTHING else besides my cars & truck have inner tubes. Inner tubes are a good thing on slow speed off-road tires.

KRAIG = Am I really that predictable?
1a_scratchhead.gif

RAY - Has it been a whole year since your last post? I thought I remembered you posting last spring?!?!

You've replaced all the common parts on your 100 already. Can you try a different plug wire?

Hope you get her running again soon!

Latest posts

Back