• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 17, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
JERRY B. - Yep, It's Amazing how much Stuff hidden in snow drifts You can tear up with a BIG piece of equipment.
roflol.gif

We got 3-4 inches of snow yesterday starting about 1 PM until about 8 PM here in Madison, WI, Took My Wife 1 hr & 45 min. to drive 25 miles home from work lat night, normally takes 35 minutes. Weather man says another 10 to 14 inches coming late tomorrow & Friday AM. Then 5-6 inches more Saturday/Sunday, and chances early next week too. The "Accurate Weather Station" said this AM that December '08 could easily be the snowiest month EVER on record around Madison. And after last winter that's saying something. I almost feel like We've moved to Buffalo, New York! The new Farmer's Almanac is not proving to be too accurate at this time.

Good to know that your not shut down because of the move. some parts in soak (gear box).I thought i would put this to the test.Ez-slide ,but not before sanding and a wipe down with Wax and grease remover. I think i bought that for CCspecialties about a year ago. I`am a little slow.
111558.jpg

Charlie needs that 4x4 IHC pickup that somebody had a few weeks ago...

Got about 6" of nice fluffy snow last night. The 129 got a workout..gotta make an audio recording of the QA42 hittin' the stones in the driveway, sounds like the county snowplow when they go by at 40 mph, knocking the ridges down...

Charlie - you need to update your profile......

Richard - that would be through her back yard across Sarah's side porch??

Now this thing needs a lot more grease than this! Can i fill the gearbox with a mixture of bearing grease and 80/90 gear lube? I do think i read of some king of mixture for it. Later Don T
(dhtfm)
1a_scratchhead.gif

111563.jpg

When they wrote this I don't think they thought that the gearboxes would still be in use almost 40 years later, thus the "requiring no lubrication" It's always a good idea to check the gearbox if you don't know it's condition and replace the old "stuff" that's in it. <FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Kraig:
Both of my 42A's came with a zerk in the top cover.... I just put lithium grease in the one I use (and that's on a 10 year old rebuild.... It looked like Don's when I took it apart, which is why I assumed a grease would be OK to put back in it..

Anyone ever try to make there own implement rod? If so could you bend the steel with a torch and map gas?

Kendell, my QA42 is the one my parents bought new in 1969. When I refurbished it back in the early days of this forum (~1998 or 1999) when I opened up the "sealed" style gearbox it had grease that looked worn out and it was mostly slung away from the gears. I cleaned it all out and replaced it with an all temp lithium grease. So far so good.... I should probably open it up and check on it. I like the thought of Charlie's "75% grease and 25% 90 weight" mixture to make it a bit more fluid so it doesn't end up slung away from the gears. And yes I know Charlie's FAQ entry is for tiller gear boxes.

Kevin, I made one up several years back. Heat, (I used a plain old propane torch) a vise and a BFH makes quick work of the bends. I used 1/2" cold rolled steel. I was making an adjustable lift rod as I wanted to experiment with lengths. Here's what I ended up with.

111565.jpg

111566.jpg

And after making the adjustable lift rod, making several adjustments to it and experimenting with the lift height I ended up at the same length as the OEM lift rod. Lesson learned, don't fix what isn't broken....
bash.gif

Of course it'll come in handy if I ever get an attachment that is missing the lift rod and I don't know what length it should be, like the non-Cub Cadet 42" blade that my neighbor gave me. When I get a "round-tuit" I'll adapt it to fit the narrow frame blade- subframe that I have, then I'll be glad I made the adjustable lift rod....
proud.gif

Kevin-
Yes, just heat the area you want to bend, then chuck it up in a bench-vice and flop it over. Drill your holes for the cottor-pins and you're all set.

Charlie-
Nice looking place. Let me know when you want any visitors.
whistling.gif

BTW...
Does that 1450 have a supa-steer under it now?
icon_eek.gif

111569.jpg

I agree, you need a bigger tractor for that kind of snow. Either that, or a blade for the front of that Binder you're using to haul your crap north!
rofl.gif

First coat on the balde will recoat. I understand Charlie has sssssooooom goood cider lol . Road trip in the spring. now mixe some grease and gear lube. later Don T
old.gif

111572.jpg

Kraiq can you read the senders address. lol

I see a lot of guys posting about the different stuff they use to keep the snow sliding off their blades. I've always used wd-40. I spray it on the wheels and axle, blade, wherever I don't want snow to stick. It has always done me pretty well. Nick

This goes back a few days to the discussion about heaters for the Hydro and the engine oil pan. I was on another forum (I have a diesel powered truck) and the guys were talking about cold weather starting and what they use to help start their trucks. One guy posted this website: http://www.wolverineheater.com/products.shtml. They have several stick on heaters and one that goes down to 1-2 qt oil capacity. I wonder if we could stick one of the small ones to the larger sump type oil pans.

DON T. - OUCH..... My 72 has a 28 yr old rattle-can paint job on the hood & chassis, and still looks good after all these years except for a couple of spots of tree sap because I NEVER SET ANYTHING ON THE HOOD.

I know it's tough not to use the hoods for a work surface because they're stong and flat, but please put something on them to protect the surface from dents & scratches.

I keep My 72 & 982 covered with a towel, sheet, or blanket all the time, The 70 does get used occasionally for a work surface but then It's pretty ugly right now anyhow, and next in line for paint.

For those who have access to a Case/IH dealer I think some people use C/IH corn head gearbox grease with good success in blower & tiller gearboxes. If Your seals are good I think 90W gear oil would be fine. Every gearbox I've ever seen with grease in them never has any grease on the gear teeth or bearings. It's all stuck in the nooks, cranny's, and corners of the gearbox. I have the 4-bolt gearbox on My QA-36 and have used 90W since I got it back in about '83. I haven't used it for quite a few of those years but it looked great about 4 yrs ago when I changed the oil in it.

Denny's 72 hood, photo taken by me at PD9 in September of 2005.

111574.jpg

For those of you wondering, yes I'm obsessed with Cub Cadet photos. Also, I took a photo of the entire tractor, I only cropped the photo to show the hood.

Scott, interesting heaters. One of those smaller ones might work nicely on a Kohler. Are you planning on testing one for the forum?
happy.gif
dunno.gif
happy.gif

Thanks for all the good info... I will attempt the project and let you know how it turns out...

Latest posts

Back