• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 17, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) Of course you are correct on the respect in what you have and who you are. I would love to have seen a cub back awile cause i would have been ahead of the game. All my Cubs but 2 sat outside and were not covered so here they all are covered.If i live i`ll paint but i want to use them also.time is short. later Don T
old.gif

What about heat tape? Like the kind you wrap around pipes to keep them from freezing?
http://www.nelsonheaters.com/Products/Products.htm
Instead of these stick on things that heat a small area, wrap this around the block and/or rear end. As long as you are careful about how you install it, so it doesn't rub against the frame or other components.

SCOTT - I think those heaters would work GREAT. I think their size recommendations are a little optimistic, I think the 125W 1-1/2" x 6" would work great on a 12-16 HP Kohler. Remember We're trying to heat a 100+ pound engine with them. I'm tempted to get one for My Powerstroke too, the block heater on it warms the coolant and is mounted in the end of the oil-to-water oil cooler but the oil actually doesn't get much heat. "HEAT Rises" so the heater should be on the bottom of the oil pan.

Company I used to work for 12-13 yrs ago had problems with WAY too much heat inside an electrical enclosure, which was odd since structural components a few inches away from the enclosure operated with a quart inch of frost on them. We ended up cutting a hole on the door of the NEMA 4X enclosure to install a custom aluminum extruded heat sink. By accident the EE working on the project discovered the heat sink should have been installed in the TOP of the enclosure. He set a heat sink on top of the enclosure one night and went home, next morning the enclosure was 10-12 degrees F cooler than any location He'd tried.

Hey Guys, i have a 1963 Cub Original. When i first try to start it, it just wants to turn over it acts like its not getting gas but i know it is because i checked it. Does anyone know what else it could be?
111581.jpg

yeah i have spark i thought of that right after i posted. So went to check it and i have spark

I have the same problem with my 149... When cold it's just chugs and chugs till the battery drains. I then have to hook up the booster unit and eventually while toggle the throttle she fires up. Seems really strange... Getting spark, fuel and air. She's just being difficult!

yeah thats exactly what mine does. Ive charged the battery multiple time because it just dies

Kraig,

I would love to test out one of those heaters.... but I am fortunate enough that I have just enough room IN the attached garage that I am able to park it. It doesn't get below 50 in there on the coldest days... It makes it tough to get in and out of the car and the Excursion in there, but it is worth it (it doesn't help that I am 6'4" and ... well I have more than enough weight on the back wheels of the Cubbie to plow). If I left it in the barn, I would have the same problem you have, it would be there till spring. Dad on the other hand.... he would be better to test one of these... he has to go out an talk really nice to his in the winter to get them to start.

Dennis,

If you do let me know... I may be interested for the times that I have to leave my out. I do keep it in the garage most of the time, mine is a 6.0L and they seem to start fairly well in the cold. With the HEUI injectors I see the advantage to having the oil warm and moving well as soon as the engine starts.

I posted a few days ago about pricing on rebuilds for S/G's. After stopping at the used car dealership, where I am friends with the mechanics, one told me his dad did work like that! I know it wont cost me an arm and a leg and he is pretty cheap and does very good work. I found that the next closest auto electric shop is about an hour to 2 away, not worth the drive in my mind. Charlie nice pad you got there!

I'm new here, and I got a killer deal on a IH Cub Cadet. It's a 982 which I believe is new then this forum is intended for, but my current question is regarding the QA42 snow blower that I got with it. I hope I'm posting in the right section.

How far should I expect the snow to blow. I know it depends on heaviness and water content and what-not but I'm not getting much distance from the blower. Maybe 10 feet at the most in really dry crusted over powder. seems kinda wimpy for a tractor mounted blower.

The belt is new and tight (is it really supposed to be that skinny?) and doesn't seem to slip. could it be the front pto clutch slipping or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks for any help!

-everettdale

(edale) first of all welcome, second your posting in the right place, third i dont have much experience with snow blowers, but as you said the PTO could be sliping, or your engine could not be reaching peak RPM's... im sure there could be other things but as i said i dont have much experience with them and maybe that is just as far as it goes??? im not sure, bur im sure someone else will!
greenthumb.gif

SCOTT - We're kinda on an austerity program here. Not much descretionary $$$$ to go around. I started My 7.3 PSD one day after work about 5-6 yrs ago (Mine's a '96 with 296,000 miles on it) when it still had 15W-40 oil in it and it was about 15 degrees F. I cycled the glow plugs twice and it started but made some terrible noises while doing it. I think only about six of the eight GP's were working then, it started on 6 and ran, then seven, finally eight after about 15 seconds. I normally run 10W-30 in winter and don't worry about it starting till it gets below zero. Truck is semi-retired now, only runs when I need ground clearnance for 10+ inches of snow like We're supposed to have tomorrow! Only time it had Me worried about getting home from work was on a 45 deg. day when the glow plug relay went belly-up the first time. Mechanic at My dealership told Me how to jump the relay and I was on My way to the dealership to get the replacement relay 90 miles away. I was working 75 miles from home at the time.

EVERETT D. - Welcome to the forum, You started with what many consider the ULTIMATE Cub Cadet. The QA-42 isn't actually the blower that's supposed to go on a 982 but it fits. If You really push into deep snow does the blower load the engine and pull it's speed down? The belt should be 5/8" wide. If it's only 1/2" wide it may be bottoming out in the groove on the PTO pulley. But if the blower was mounted on the 982 before it should have the right pulley. Just make sure Your belt is the correct one. If the blower has been sitting unused for a while the insides of the housing & discharge chute get dirty and rusty and the snow doesn't throw very far. It should improve with use. Depending on how You have the chute angled and the snow conditions You should be able to blow snow 20-25 feet. Many here paint the inside of the blower housing & chutes with a graphite based paint called "Slip-plate" or "EZ-Slide" even car wax or PAM cooking pan spray would help. The PTO clutch normally doesn't slip when it gets worn, it just doesn't engage. Let Us know about the belt and We'll see if We can get You running better. Several people here have put smaller driven pulleys on the blowers and they can move snow 30+ feet. With Your 982's 20 HP Onan You could also.

hey i saw on one of our (competitors) sites, an "O" with a 9 speed transmission, looks like its mounted where a creeper would go, id post a pic but i don't know... i got in trouble the last time i posted a pic from a competitor site?
bottom.gif

Dennis, I have learned the hard way about stuff under the snow! Any chance that "MRS" charlie would post a pic of him out on the hood after hitting somthing????????

Everett, welcome!
groupwave.gif
Are you sure that the snow thrower isn't a QA42B? Does it have curved top links between the subframe and the auger housing? If so it is the QA42B and should have the wider 5/8" pulley for use on your 982.

Matt S.
That CCO you speak of is most likely William Deturk's M&W 9sp Over/Under drive. Many here have seen it in person, I have not. I was hoping to see it at Red Power this year, but fuel prices and his son having to work that week kept him from making it out to Columbia, MO.
From what I understand, if you hear of him going to be at a show or plow day, take along a box of Krispy Kremes and you may get some seat time on it.

BTW, I don't consider it a competitor site, just another Cubsession destination for learning and sharing.

For you new guys having trouble starting your cubs in cold weather, here's a post that may help..

Matt: The picture you posted was from an E-Bay sale, but it was not credited as such. You may not be old enough to remember it, but there was a little problem a while back with E-Bayer's taking pictures and graphics from this site (and actually LINKING to pics here) and using them in sale postings.

At a minimum, you should credit the source of pics you "borrow" from somewhere else and post under your own name. I'm still of the opinion personally that it's bad form......

Jerry B.
I've never hit anything except for a dead rabbit or 2 with a thrower. It did look like a gray cloud on the horizon when I sucked it into the thrower.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back