• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 31, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, when a front end is in the air on a puller all the oil runs to the back of the engine completely out of the rod dipper. if you operate on a angle it runs to the side still within contact of the dipper. I've seen Jr. dragster moters built on close to a 45 deg angle that run fine. Mark Conovers pulling engine is built on a angle. I guess I don't see where a problem exsists. I would be very concerned about a steel dipper as long as Wyatt has threading into a aluminum rod cap. I'd be afraid it would either break off or egg out the hole and fall out. theres nothing in the engine that would afect the filling of the crank case as I recomened. the manufactures of the aftermarket rods have been saying it for close to 25 years.I have seen damage done to a engine when the dipper either broke or fell out. I've never seen a problem with a properly filled engine with a aftermarket rod. Now based off of that which choice would you make?

......If Don says "don't do that to a Kohler"......I'm not gonna do it to a Kohler...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

As you have stated before, Don, a 6500rpm sled run for a few seconds is different than pulling a plow for a few hours.

I just wondered if the higher oil level could cause other problems in the plow tractors that would not rear their head in a pulling scenario.

Like Steve said, If Don or Dave Kirk say not to do it, I will defer to them. They have lots of real world experience with these motors.

Thanks for the explanation Don.

Then again what do you really have to loose if tyou want to try it. if it works o well , if it don't around $150- 200 your back in the furrow again

Don!I'm not sure to what degree you'll discuss stuff on a public forum and if I'm asking for trade secrets just say so.
Regarding weight placement:I have about 150lbs. of weight{On my tractor that is}in a weight box under the seat.Additionally I have another 150lbs of moveable weight ahead of,under and behind the rear axle,down low to the ground.
Do you think there is any advantage to taking the 150 lbs. up high under the seat and moving it to a lower location?
If yes,would you move it to just in front of or behind the rear axle?

I must've missed a post somewhere... did Dave Kirk comment on the dipper issue? If so, what was his concern? (inquiring minds want to know!)

We'll, I must come clean. I'm the one that suggested the longer dipper mod to Wyatt for his engine. It's what I would do for my own engine if I were to use the Super Cub rod in a 4000 rpm max application. I like the idea of a dipper that clears the pan by .060 or so, and makes use of available oil capacity effectively, even if the level should get low. The properties of a grade 8 bolt, .250 in diameter, will far exceed the bending loads imposed. The use of 271 Loctite on the threads, combined with a jam nut, will effectively prevent it from unscrewing.

It just seems the logical way to build an engine that may see 30 degrees of tilt angle and run at this attitude for several hours. True, there will be more dipper surface plowing through oil, and thus some power lost, but this could only amount to hundredths of a horsepower robbed at 4000 rpm. The guarantee of ample lubrication at all attitudes and oil levels gives a little more security and seems a fair tradeoff.

OK, I give up.....

I've got a 7hp Kohler that is driving me nuts. It's got a rebuilt carb on it. It starts fine and idles great, but at full throttle it will alternate between running smooth and sputtering with HUGE amounts of smoke almost as if it's running VERY rich.

I've tried multiple carb adjustments a known-good spark plug and wire.

What's next? Coil? Condensor?

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

(Message edited by aaytay on September 12, 2004)

Just about ready to start the 582 Plowmaster.16hp QL type motor .030 over 18hp cam twin plug ignition.If nothing else it looks like a little twin
21472.jpg
21469.jpg
21470.jpg
21471.jpg
21473.jpg

Art,

I don't think you have an electrical problem...sounds more like a sticking float/needle assembly. If you see a lot of black smoke when the misfiring occurs, the engine is going momentarily rich. I'd check the float to be sure it's not hanging up, especially in the down position.

Mike,

Plowmaster is really cool! Did you modify the cylinder head for dual ignition?

I milled out the fins and welded up a boss for the plug.If nothing else it looks kool.Will your points saver work as well with the dual coil? I din't know if the draw is the same.I might have to Order one from you.Mike Masheris

Mike- Cool dual-plug head! Looks like a double-ended coil (not a dual-coil)... what did you steal it out of?

Did you use any scientific judgement in selecting the 2nd plug's location?

(I'm thinking... hmmm... a custom overhead-cam head, driven by pushrods through the original valve-guides, tappets, etc., with dome'd piston, hemispherical chamber, and opposing plugs... zowie, the complexity!) it'd probably be worth at least 2hp in ooh-and-ahh power...

Dave,
An overhead cam driven by the original cam? Why? How? Did you mean overhead valve?
Look at an early ARDUN overhead valve conversion for the Ford flathead V8.
Don't forget the pump and dry sump oil system to provide lubrication for all those parts.

Bruce - At RED POWER ROUNDUP in Penfield 2 yrs ago there was a scale model 1206 made from a 149/169 CC that of Course had to be Turbocharged.... and the builder ran a very small oil pump off the frt crankshaft to lube the center cartridge on the turbo. I never saw it run but took quite a few pic's. Several on the forum saw it cruising the showgrounds. Coolness factor on it I think even outdid the 302 Ford powered Cub LoBoy 154! Bad news would be the boost potential on a single cyl. engine.... Most Kohlers can't keep a raincap open on a muffler let alone deliver any usable energy to a turbo.

Denny, this one?

21518.jpg

21519.jpg

<font size="-2">Photos taken by Ryan Mull.</font>

Denny, ummm, <blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I never saw it run but took quite a few pic's.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Why, may I ask, are there not copies of them in my archive? :eek:)

They're not digitized yet Kraig.... In fact I'm not even sure they're all Developed yet! I'll have to check and if I have anything much different than Ryan's I'll get them to You even if it's snail mail.

Latest posts

Back