• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 17, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, tough brake. The pedistal in my 122 is about in two pieces, if feel your pain.
coffee.gif

As I redesign my 106 just curious has anybody ever tried running a motorcycle battery in one of these guys?

Basically where I want to put the battery is kinda limited for space and if needed to I can charge it up to run it.

Or any other ideas would be welcomed!

Pops
old.gif

Paul B - The Original you recently got with the Collegeville Equipment metal tag on it - that place was torn down about 2 years ago. I moved there in 1985 and they were in the golf cart business at that time. Apparently the owner of Collegeville Equipment was a Joe Eicholt who employed a real good bunch of service Folks. It started out as a Case dealer and later to International. Betcha that Original could tell some good stories.
happy.gif

Pops
I would guess a MC battery would not have the "oomph" to turn a cub over, especially when cold. Being a gear drive, you don't have the hydro pump to turn, tho...

I'm trying to spec a lager battery for the 149, the limiting factor being the height and the width, since they sit between the frame rails under the seat. The depth can be enhanced, and i can use top post a battery so the seat won't short out the terminals. I have used a 365 cca champion battery in her before with good results. Anyone else have wisdom to add?

Ed K
Thank you for the information. I found that there is a phone number listed in Collegeville for a Collegeville Supply & Equipment (or Equipment & Supply) that sells commerical/industrial air compressors, and I wondered if it was the same company. I assume that the number on the tag could be used to determine who the tractor was originally sold to, if those business records were still available.

Pops, I'm gonna have to side with Scott, I don't think a motorcycle battery will provide enough current to turn the Kohler over, you might be able to run it on the motorcycle battery once it's started though. If you provide easy access to the battery to hook up one of those booster battery packs for starting you might be able to make it work.
dunno.gif

Tom H., if you email me the high resolution versions of your photos I'll resize and post them for you.
happy.gif
However, I have to head out of town this evening but will be back tomorrow evening. Depending on when you send them I might not get them posted for a day or so....

SCOTT - putting a larger battery in a WF is really tough. There's not much room on the bottom and You run out of height on the top too quick too. My old 129 & 982 both only get a 300 CCA L&G "L" terminal battery. If I was going to upgrade I'd look for a side terminal battery, they tend to have far fewer issues with corrosion and less chance of shorting between terminals with the seat base. Let Us know if You find anything.

KEITH L. - I doubt You'll be able to drill/tap that ball bearing. I've only replaced one pair of internal brake pads, about 17 yrs ago in the 72. I'd suggest pulling the front cover off the reduction housing (pull the whole rearend first if You haven't already) and try prying the friction mat'l, piston & ball out from where the brake rotor runs. The rear brake pad just slips into a machined bore and You'll probably have to bust it up to remove. A little PB Blaster, etc. really helps loosen those brake pistons....they're diecast or "Pot metal" if I remember right and corrode easily. If someone had a good big lathe they could make BRASS pistons to replace them....they'd never seize in the bores!

Pops..
What did you have in mind for a battery locatin in your 106?

Ok guys here the deal, if I use the tractor for something else I might even pull rope start it. Truthfully I am really considering making this little guy into my 706 nf. Besides that I want to cut the battery box off the pedestal and use the area on the inside bottom of same pedestal.

Doing this I feel it cleans that area up but the area I am considering is smaller than the battery box. I knew in cold weather or a long time between starts MC might not be strong enough but in warm weather when most of the shows are with a full charge it might do the trick. My Harley Davidson battery is too large for this area so I was thinking of a smaller MC battery with a lot of cranking amps.

I was just curious if anybody had tried this. Trying to design this thing in my mind and on paper and do not want to start cutting until everything is thought out. Any comments or suggestions good or bad will be considered.

Yes I am a perfectionist.

Pops---
old.gif

Scott: That what I use in my 1000 & 1650 the 365 real good luck also.

Latest posts

Back