• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 22, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home of the Plow Special

Art , I have been looking around to find out as much information that I can about the 450 snow blower that I have and came across a post you made on another site (Wednesday, October 4, 2006 - 2:18 am: I plan on modifying the lift set up on my own snowblower this fall to fix the above mentioned issues).what did you do to modify the lifting on your 450 blower. Could you share that info? I got a 149 lift cylinder here and thought I would try to mount that up front on my tractor and use the cylinder to lift the blower. I could plug the cylinder into my front hyd ports. I was surprised to see you use one. Thanks Don

Ken , man I know how you feel, I find that the infloor heat in my shop is great for my arthritis and makes me feel better when I can get something done.Demerol just don`t cut it anymore and I won`t take Oxycontin . my doctor ask me to take it ,but all I hear is people having issues with it. addiction rates are high and I don`t need more problems like that. Scotch helps lol
Thanks Guys ............
old.gif

Gary-

That has nothing to do with the oil leak you were posting about on a previous page. As others mentioned, the oil leak is probably a bad pan gasket, hole in the oil pan, or bad PTO end crank seal. I would not wait until the end of the season to figure out the problem. If you've worn a hole in the oil pan, you're going to have very serious problems if you don't correct this soon. All that oil is destroying your engine mounts, PTO clutch, and mower deck belt. A few days to figure it out now is better than weeks of downtime overhauling the engine.

Don-
Yes, I have a #450 snowblower on the front of a 2072.

It's a great snowblower, a snow-eating-machine, but the lift system is not the best. The problem I had was that if you allow the blower to drop off of a ledge (like when you approach the edge of your driveway and the snowblower hangs, it allows the lift mechanism to get "over center", so unless you reverse the tractor and drag the snowblower back onto the driveway, when you actuate the tractor's lift it will either bend the rockshaft under the tunnel cover, or bend the lift rod of the snowblower itself. It's happened twice to me, so I've had both a bent rockshaft AND a bent lift rod during the years I've owned it.

I've heard that the way to fix it is to weld some small steel blocks on the lift mechanism of the blower that only allows it to lower to ground level, not any lower.

In my opinion a better fix is to retro-fit a lift cylinder and use your front outlets to lift the blower instead of that silly lift rod. I have not had the time to do such a mod yet.

I think someone SMART like you needs to figure out this puzzle and then post the fix here for all of us to copy..
happy.gif

Question re. serial #s on the QL tractors. I got bitten by the bug bad this week. Bought a very poor condition 1650 and then a decent 1450. My question is, did IH serialize the individual models? Ie. did 1650s get one range of numbers and 1200s (or whatever...) another? I'm asking as I've got 2 choices, move the engine and wheels from the 1650 to the 1450 and buy an appropriate sticker pack, or do an either restore on the 1650. It’s not that I don't want to do a restore, it would just be pricey. On the other hand, I don't want a counterfeit 1650 either. If the frame serials were recorded I will redo the 1650 entirely. If they the SN plate was just grabbed from a stack that was used for all models I wouldn't feel bad about "making" my own 1650. Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Calvin

Cub 1450. Thanks for previous Info. OK I'm about to bite the bullet. Rain this weekend. Tools I have. A lot of experience with this tractor I do not. Thus far my experience is that everything I have worked on with this 1972 work horse is hard to get at, knuckle busting, work. I've been given three things to review/repair/replace. Pan Gasket, Oil Pan, End Crank Seal. Parts manual I have. Service manual also. Before I begin I'm requesting 1. An order to proceed. Which would be best to do first? 2. What other than typical auto tools do I need? Do I have to lift the motor? How much fluid not on me will be on the floor? I hate surprises as much as not doing the work myself. I'm will'in and I'm handy, but advice before I start from experienced people before it is apart is most welcome.

Gary,
Don't forget to look at the rubber iso-mounts.
My suspicion is that they went bad first and then caused the rest of the damage.
Good luck

Gary - Lift the motor? (ENGINE) = Yep
Surprise = Don't take off the rear end cover then.
clappy.gif

Calvin, the SN for the 1650 would have a prefix of "2050670U" The actual S/N would be the numbers after the U. The 1450 would have a prefix of "2050660U" and again the S/N would be the number after the U.

Out in the cub den again,
buttrock.gif
put another coat of primer on the fender pan, color this weekend..
thumbsup.gif

189008.jpg

Also, I have to locate mounts for the used pushbar I snagged last fall... I need to be able to remove for the snowthrower, so Riv-Nuts are in order...

189009.jpg

189010.jpg

Got a new confuzer off of CL, It is Vista and had to install a pic resizer. The old one is fubar...

Does anyone have an answer regarding the wheelweights I posted a few days ago? I think it is 3 pages back....

Gary Smyth-

I would try a 1/4-20 bolt first before a sheet metal screw. My 1450 is heavily covered or I would check it but I know there are several 1/4-20s used in attaching the exhaust shroud. It may very well require a sheet metal screw but once you run a screw into a bolt hole it becomes a screw hole.

Scott - I've never seen any weights like those posted b4. Nice blaster ya got there ... don't know about that push bar though ???
You might push your way into a bar with it but I doubt it could handle the bouncer at the door.

Primer 'n Paint looks
thumbsup.gif

My guess is they cam from an ag IH dealer for compact tractor, or a red cub... The medallion say IHC, and they do look original... i dunno...

IH did offer those plastic covered weights, and I know by about 1990 that was all that was available new from a dealer, which would have been an MTD/CCC dealer.

Maybe Kraig can search his files for scans of parts & accessories, maybe even sales brochures.

Hi there, I have what I believe is a 128, grabbed locally. I also have a rear tiller for it (the prev owner had no idea how to hook it up). It looks like this machine, instead of having a shaft PTO it has a belt driven, the back end shown below. The 2 things I am missing though, and I apologize if I do not know which details to provide, are: Is there a standard belt to run to the back? I string measured, as best I could and it looked to be 11 feet 7 inches.
Second a tension spring off the front pulleys was missing. Is there a standard part for that too? Thanks ahead of time!

189032.jpg

ScottMac: It would help immensely if there was a serial number for the tractor and the Model# for the tiller. In the meantime, checkout Charlies cubFaq and scan down to #4 and then go to page 4...

Myron B

Scott,
When using a tiller, the spring gets replaced with a jackscrew to tighten the belt... that belt is about 141 or so inches long...

welcome to the forum, I am from the other side of Auburn, and travel to Canadaigua to take my kid to FLCC... I spied a 100 along side of rt. 5&20, I drove by to see the owner, and spied another cub and a JD... I figger that they wanted to keep it...

It's that time of year again folks.
If you're in OK or KS be on yer toes
189047.jpg

Scott - What ya doing posting instead of PAINTING !
I want to see some purtty yeller 'n white.

Scott,
What model is that good looking thing you're fixing up? Put some wheels under it and it will be easy to move around and work on.
drool.gif

Thomas Wood,
Has anyone welcomed you to the forum yet? If not,
groupwave.gif
welcome aboard!

Home of the Plow Special (Aaytay)

Thanks for that boost of confidence lol. The guy that did my welding ask if I wanted anything else done and we did talk about the lift cylinder. We will do that mod in the next few weeks. I want everything done so when I get it glass blasted and painted I won`t have to touch the paint up later . I think the 149 lift cylinder will give me all the lift I will need for the 450 blower. I will post a few pictures if you want when we get at it.I have read about the lift issue and got the cylinder in hopes that it will do the job.

Latest posts

Back