Archive through April 14, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboelens

displayname
John Boelens
The 800 runs pretty nice.
happy.gif

Hey all! Hope everyone made it through the winter OK...

I'm back into my predicament from last fall with my 124..

The deck level lever release button sheered off and I need to fix it...

My initial thoughts are to dremel the tube down a bit so I can get a wrench on whats left to unscrew it from the inner bar however perhaps buying another whole mech would be easier?

ccspecialties doesnt seem to have any...

any thoughts?

Put my 11 year old daughter to work mowing on the 782 last night.....

295821.jpg

295822.jpg

...She did really well and has the makings of a good operator!!!!

Brian - the button that sticks up through the top of the big lift lever broke correct? Right where it necks down so much for the float button to engage?

I should start a repair service for those rockshafts and lift levers. To do them right you need a welder and an acetylene torch. Takes about a half hour longer to fix them than it does to explain how to fix them.

Let me just say that if your 124 has sat out in the weather any length of time you will twist off the top of the inner rod when you try to unscrew what's left of the button. Then the real fun starts!

John,
Nice scores. I think I see an 86, too. Don't remember seeing that auction bill. I guess Jeff didn't know about that auction either.
happy.gif

Steve,
Looks like she's doing a great job!

Nice haul John,you look content with your new cubs.

mr plow,no green up yet here,she is doing a great job, does this mean less seat time for you?

Brian - this is the easiest post I've been able to make. I agree with Dennis (really). Awhole lot easier and faster to just replace the entire lift assembly, especially if you don't have a torch and don't do welding.

John - looks like the makings of a hoard to me.

Steve, Mr. Plow - is that a 782 with a 60" Haban deck?

782 w/18hp Mag, super steer & power steering, 26" rubber, and a GT 54" deck (off of the later model Cyclops style tractors).....it takes work to get it to fit, don't go running out and buying one because you saw my rig......
happy.gif

I have the exact same deck under my Cub Cadet 365L ZTR, so when set to the same cutting height, I get the same quality of cut from both.

I was on the ZTR and she was on the 782 (that way I get seat time, she gets experience operating, and I'm close to keep an eye on things......safety wise). I "open everything up", then set her off on a "land", or just have her follow me around.

60" Haban will eventually end up under my 2072 or 1572 for a trial run this summer......

Steve,

Love her big smile!

The 26" rear tires would raise the frame 1.5". Did you do anything with the front tires or axle to raise the front of the frame?

The extra room under the frame does allow for a deeper mower deck, and maybe a higher max cutting height as well.

Lookin' good!

Steve,
My vote's for the 1572. Seat time on the smoker and the turbo whistling in the wind..................
whistling.gif
Shift.gif

The 124 has always been shed-ed and is in great shape

I dont have a torch or welder either
sad.gif

I'd gladly pay someone as all the second hand lifters I've found are in awful shape

STEVE B - That's the same way I taught SON to run equipment, let him follow me around the yard mowing. As he got older & braver he'd pass me while I trimmed or whatever and continue on... Him on the 129, me on the 72. He'd catch me in a couple rounds. If he had some problem or question he'd just stop.

BRIAN - any time in the last 48 years that your 124 sat outside in the weather could cause the bottom threaded end of that lift lever release button to sieze on the 5/16" rod the button threads onto. You try to twist the button off and twist off the top of that rod. The parts books show the inner rod is "Not a serviceable part. Buy whole rockshaft assembly.". So you have to make an inner rod from scratch. I went through that whole ordeal about 20 years ago. It all works better when you remove the whole rockshaft from the tractor. Six easy to reach bolts and it drops down out of the tractor on your 124, eight bolts on my 72, and those extra two bolts are hard to get a wrench on, the front footrest bolts.

Ken, this is better discussed in the CCC forum, but considering its all attached to an IH 782, I'm gonna sneak it in with Steve's (and Charlie's) approval.

The later model Super Steer axle raises the front about 2" requiring the 26" rubber out back to level it out. (I learned this from Mr. Plow himself.) it is also swept forward a bit allowing that 54" GT deck to fit and still allow that sharp turning radius.

With Steve's help I finally finished my copy of his beautiful cub. My IH 782 now has a Mag 20 with power steering and the early Super Steer axle. So the largest deck I can fit is my IH 50c.

At least I beat him to have my 60" Haban already under my OT 2072.

In other news,

I absolutely love all those 100's. makes me want to get my 70 chassis up and running.

Those blue head lights are fun. I already have planned to put a set in my son's puller. Cause he wants it to be named Ice Man (from the X-men).

My wife would kill me if I brought home trailers like that. I envy those of you with wives that tolerate or even enjoy our tractor sickness!

ok...i pulled the trigger on a deck. 42 inch..solid no holes, 3 tight spindles, needs new guards but i have those....idler pulley(got that too...), belts...blast and paint should be good to go.... buck sixty in wny....another 42 2 hrs away was 190 so....lemme have it guys....

295837.jpg

295838.jpg

295839.jpg

295840.jpg

295841.jpg

John B. Sweet!!!

Steve B. Real nice picture and great to see another young person interested in the older Cub Cadets.

Brian E. I'm with Dennis as far they are one of the easiest fixes to do. The ONLY torch that I have is a MAPP gas. Like Dennis, I should make a business of doing those repairs. Now I know that the next one I repair I'll take pictures. Everyone keeps buying PB Blaster or WD40 and trying to use that on those rusted top ieces is worthless. I'll keep using my STRONG ARM spray for those badly rusted pieces.

Mike C. You did GREAT!!! If decks are scarce in your area then you paid a fair price. Don't feel bad.

That's great looking deck! Nice job. Waaaay better looking than that rust bucket you have.

Hello
I went out to the shed yesterday and found my 1650 cub cadet had drained all motor oil on the ground. I have not had a chance to take a look underneath the unit yet. Long story I'm on crutches so it's hard to get around. I hate to guess just looking for some input. It's driving me crazy not knowing.
Thanks for the help

Ed: My first guess would center around the oil pan drain plug.

Frank are you thinking the drain plug is stripped, or that the drain plug 0ring is bad? The machine vibrates pretty intensely I'm hoping something just vibrated loose.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back