• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What my 1Ndone is all about

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too agree with Keith. I actually got a deal on my first Cub Cadet, a 127.

The second one, my 149, I bought from Art.......GEEEEEEZ. That's when I learned how to pay too much for a Cub Cadet...LOL Just kidding of course!

This 149 has a snow blower attached to the front, I should think about starting it soon. Probably need a battery for it was not used last year.

Seems like there is alot of discussion about pricing, and probably in part why it's restricted on the regular thread. I can tell you prices vary all across the country. Here's what I see - prices in IA, IL and WI are fairly cheap, prices in OH and IN are higher, prices in PA and NJ are cheap, prices in NY, CT, MA are fairly high. MO seems to be fairly high. I see most of this related to availability, meaning IA, IL and WI have many units available, PA and NJ seem to have quite a few units, NY, CT and MA don't have that many. You put all this together and it results in prices based on "supply and demand". Most people will not travel very far for a Garden Tractor. Most people want a good operating unit at a good price, and want to know there is someplace local to them where they can get parts and/or get it worked on - so for the most part it's a local purchase. Guys on this Forum will travel quite a distance for the unit they want, but we are collectors, CC nuts, etc - most of us are not the "average consumer" customer, so our view of prices can and many times will be off the board for what the general public will pay. Now in view of this here's how I see that 1200 for $1000 without attachments, lights, rear lift, etc - does seem somewhat high to me. If I was living in CT (where I used to) I would consider it a fair "asking" price since the unit does "look" very nice, it's a Quiet Line with side panels making it quite attractive to the general buyer not familiar with older units. However, I would not expect it to sell for $1000 since it is a gear drive. I am assuming it does actually run and operate very well (no ISO mount issues, good electric PTO, good steering, deck nice and tight, etc.) meaning it basically needs no work done to it. When I used to buy/restore/resell/etc I always tried to look at what was available in CT if it wasn't to far from me - it's a competitive thing.

Harry,

Every time I get cubs in CT.They are cheap.I just picked up 2 today cheap,one is a1200 with a 3 point,runs well the other is a good running 147. Also came with a motor for a 86 and two decks cheep.NY is cheap also.

Now, everytime I get stuff from CT, I seem to end up paying a bit more than I like.. But I never find what I want in Mass., But then I enjoy "haggling"... right Harry? :cool:

About the pricing thing on tractors. The absolute BEST and ONE owner tractor I ever was blessed to aquire was the 782D and it came from Virginia.... It was FREE. Now where most guys look for a nice tractor I tend to look for the verifiable ONE or at the most two owner tractors and condition. To some that 1250 @ $1,000.00 is high priced. Okay now. would it be a bargain if say I got it second verifiable owner for say $400.00 and had to put another $600.00 into it? The Keepsake 1650 with 44" mower, front blade, plow, double Brinly disc, weights, chains, and hitch was purchased from the original family for $200.00. Bargain? Absolutely. However I immediately had to purchase a new battery, isomounts, do the engine frame modification, and a carburetor kit. Plus I've never taken the time to fix both rear lights since one has a broken/missing lens. Still it is a bargain even though the OEM seat will need new upholstery one of these days. So, it boils down to what an individual is looking for or personal preferance.

Lew - I suspect you only go to CT to get cheap tractors, but heck, what is cheap, and based on your policy - only YOU will know.

Marlin - I generally agree with you but based on the age of these units you are really getting hard pressed anymore to get one from an original or even second owner, and that's hard to verify.

Mike F - some how I think you always pay a bit more than you like - would you rather have it the other way around? Pay a "bit less than you like". As for hagglin', well yes that's always good but the ones I have trouble with are the guys that raise their original price - and then won't even sell it for what they originally advertised/asked. I found most of the time it really wasn't worth it anyway.

So where does all this leave us? I have to rationalize prices with questions like:
Do I need this unit? Have I got one that does this already? What am I gonna have to do to this unit and how much is that gonna cost? What do I think the parts/pieces of this unit are worth? Am I likely to find any more of these units around? Pretty amazing the 14 years I lived in CT, I never saw an Original and never saw an 82 series unit. Now they seem to pop up pretty frequently. I remember searching for a snow thrower to use on my 1450 for 3 years, and didn't find anything - not one unit. The 4th year I find 3 advertised at the same time, and I'm pretty certain I bought all 3. So, there are many many things that can/are used to determine value, what's a good price, what's a small fortune, overpay underpay, good deal, ripoff, what ever you want to call it. It all comes down to your situation.
(Ooh, and Lew - were there any tail light lenses on the 1200?)
There's all kinds of reasons.

Somewhere in the house I have an article about Jay Leno's Car Collection. He was approached by an elderly lady that was selling her and her late husband's ONLY car they bought new in 1950 or '51. Studebaker at that and nothing spectacular about it except all the paperwork was with it. The car was literally worn out and yet Jay bought it and had it totally restored because of the story behind it. Right now I will be selling that 147 that I recently bought in favor of a one owner 149 with front blade and mower deck. Once again verifiable. I didn't know of my ex-sister in law and her husband's retirement auction or I would have purchased their one owner IH Cadet 526 rototiller. Finding one owner items isn't that hard ... YET. One just needs to watch, listen and let it be known that you're always looking for tractors. Like the 128 that Ryan McShane bought last fall. That literally fell into our hands. In these parts I'm known as the local Cub Cadet Guy even though there are a lot more experienced fellas out there than myself. They are low key whereas I'm not so much.

With the recent comments made over in the for sale section, I thought I'd add my worthless slurr of words to this matter.

We seem to have a lot of new members popping up here on the forum recently, due to this increasingly popular garden tractor collecting hobby, in our case...Cub Cadets. I think I read somewhere that this forum is an online community that helps people with certain aspects of IH Cub Cadets- Parts, troubleshooting, and repair...plus fun pictures and stories. I didn't read anything about rude posts about prices beng a part of this website. With that being said, say I'm a new member, browsing the site, reading the FAQ's from Charlie and reading the frequently asked questions. I get to this thread and read it..."well what the hell is 1ND?" I keep reading to find all the negative comments about how newbies come on here and "freeload" and post outrageous prices for Cubs and see all these rude comments. Well, if I was a new member and read all this crap, I'd be hitting the little red "x" in the corner of my screen.

Here comes my point. This 1Nd stuff...stupid. Childish. Ridiculous. It's at the point where I'm too pissed off to read the for sale section because I have to read through all the CRAP before I see something relevant. It's about time it got said. Why does anything need to be said openly? What happened to the phrase "sit down, shut up and deal with it?" Believe me, I've seen wild prices for Cubs, but why in the hell do we need to be posting it openly on a worldwide forum where old, current, and new members potentailly can see it? I bet the last thing that last gentleman was thinking was "wow, they really welcomed me into that forum!" It's a bad rep for this forum and I surely know that it will discourage membership.
To the people that can't handle seeing a 1000 dollar Cub Cadet posted by a first time poster, get over it. That's life. Dont be a jerk and feel like you need to say something about it.

I'll be the jerk now that throws out his .02. If you don't like it, you know where my email is.

I'll apologize to Charlie now just in case this dosen't settle well with a few people.

I'm trying to "sit down, shut up and deal with it?". I really don't care if a guy is trying to sell a $300. tractor for $1200. More power to him AND it make my stuff worth more. <u>My point is</u> I just wish these people would contribute to the forum other than comming here for the free ride. If you look at the posting logs, most of the 1ND's never contribute to the main Forum after their for sale post.

I don't feel comfortable going to another site to sign in and just post items for sale, do you?

OK, I'm done now. Won't see another "<u>WORD</u>" from me on this subject again. <font size="-2">(Might see a clipart though)</font>

I'll admit to sharing many of Ryan's sentiments. This has to be the only site on which one has to undergo a "hazing" in order to be initiated. There is a reason that other sites advertise themselves as "Friendly" in comparison.

On the other hand, there is a great group of guys (and a few gals) on this site and the information is incomparable. After two years of getting my head bashed in by Charlie, I'm finally beginning to grasp the the notion of what it means to stay on topic.
smile.gif

I think a guy can post whatever price he wants to for his stuff; nobody is making us PAY those prices, after all.

Finally, if a fellow is posting stuff for sale, he IS contributing to the forum! We benefit. Sure, I would like everyone to stick around and post once and a while, with pictures and solid information, but hey, we can't all be Harry Bursell or Dennis Frisk (or a few others I could name).

Its a free country, and a free forum. Live and let live, I say.

Edit: In view of Frank's comment above (which others have posted too) whatever Charlie says goes; it is the moderator's and owner's function to enforce the rules (or not) as they see fit.

<font color="119911">OK, Tom, I'll chime in. I read your comments that said this:
HOWEVER, access to the classifieds will NOT be handed out to brand new users in order to curtail abuse, such as those that register just so they can post their ad and not contribute anything to the community
and thought it was something you'd made up until I went back after many years and read THE RULES. Huh! Those were the rules in 2006 - maybe something's changed? (There was a time that posting to the Classifieds wasn't FREE). Whatever. MY BEST WISHES TO ALL IN 2013!!
happy.gif
</font>

Ya know!
I see both sides of the issue and if someone has an opinion, so be it!
I keep reading and the more I read the more pissed off I get, so rather than say how I really feel and reach for the BUTTON OF MASS DESTRUCTION!

I'll walk away for now and let sleepin dogs lie before I go off the proverbial fiscal cliff myself!

But don't think for a minute and ANYONE is safe or has a free ride!

<font color="ff0000">My bad. It was the green type, wasn't it?
happy.gif
</font>

This is not a good way to start the new year! Everybody calm down.

Since Mel posted, I'll step into the choppy waters and share a few thoughts. Not that it will hold any worth to anyone but this whole thread has been..interesting.

Seems there is a lot of sand being kicked up in the sandbox at the moment and this conversation has taken on a life of its own, hasn't it? and not is such a good way either. If Charlie is getting PO'ed about it, thats NOT a good thing, and gosh, I hope Charlie doesn't get PO'ed at me too. lol.

recap~ a member, who hasn't contributed on any board posted on the classifieds. Then the rumblings and grumblings took off, complaints that if you can't post and share and be a part of the group, you shouldnt have/don't have any right to post on the classifieds. Right? As it has been brought up, there are rules and guidelines and its up to Charlie and the moderators to make sure everyone is complying with those. If someone oversteps their boundries, I'm pretty sure their post(s) or part of it will be POOFED. No questions asked. lol. So, if a member who hasn't contribuated on other boards posts on the classifieds and there is a rule that you have to contribute in order to use the classifieds, the last call rests on the owners decision. Why any member can validate they have the right to write negative comments about the ad is perplexing

" if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" AND " Silence is golden"..

being human, we can't go into any site and not get ticked off by someone elses posts every now and then and everyone shares their views openly here, but when it comes to classifieds, I am dumbfounded why anyone feels they have a right to be critical of someone's Ad. ??? I was wondering where the guidelines say " if you think what is for sale is a piece of junk, please respond and let the seller know" OR " if you feel the price offered is out of line, let them know about it".

I have my own site and I know how difficult it can be to keep the peace and somedays its seems impossible. Personalities clash. when I'm in a bad mood or ticked off, that's probably not the best time to respond to someone's post, so I step away from the puter ..it will save everyone elses blood pressure spiking and all will stay calm..or in time I'll be calm again. lol

Have a great 2013 everyone..
angel.gif
Cathleen

"This has to be the only site on which one has to undergo a "hazing" in order to be initiated. There is a reason that other sites advertise themselves as "Friendly" in comparison."
WTF???? (Hazing ??/ initiation ??) The common definition of hazing is "subjection to harassment or ridicule". I guess certain aspects of a self policing forum evidently are interpreted by some as "hazing"? I guess this "hazing" must come in the form of a forum member pointing out certain accepted rules to a newcomer who may not have taken the time to read the rules of the first place or chose to sidestep the forum conventions for their own convenience, then takes offense at being asked to follow the rules and conventions of the forum. This forum has survived through at least 14 years with the same basic set of rules, and they are not all that tough to follow, but do maintain some structure and predictability. To interpret requests to observe those rules and conventions as "hazing" and "initiations" is pure BS
sorry.gif

Thank you, Gerry, I love you too, but I'll stand by what I have written. When you choose to denigrate my contribution you only prove Cathleen's point and my own.

You have a right to disagree with my interpretation, but I can't allow you to deny my feelings.

Many times I have felt "excluded" while posting on this site. I am not alone in this feeling, and I didn't want Ryan to feel that he was alone. The slights may not have been intended, but they were felt none-the-less. I remember reading several posts that speak of developing a "thick skin" in order to post to this forum, and I feel that sentiment is justified --it bespeaks the "initiation" to which I refer. I know that I have had to "toughen up" in order to keep going after I felt like quitting. But Ryan and I are an exception. Most of those who feel the pain of being "corrected" for what they did not know was a transgression, simply leave and don't come back --ever. I think it is true that one has to earn the respect of others on this forum, and perhaps that is for the best; but to deny that a "socialization" process is taking place on this forum is to chose fantasy over reality, in my humble opinion.

For my part, from the moment of my first post I have been subjected to what could be characterized as ridicule and rude behavior. My tractor was characterized as a "confuguliation" (a word which was new to me), and my posting was discussed with another member in the third person as if I wasn't there; behavior, which in polite company, would be considered rude. I took no offense at the time and was grateful for the response. (See The Vault for July 22, 2010 for my first post to this forum.)

What makes this forum different from others on the web is that it IS personal, as opposed to being commercial; and there is a sense of community that transcends the topic. To others we may appear to be a bunch of what one poster termed "Old Heads" (which is nice for "Old Farts" I suspect), but to ourselves we're all good friends. Please note and acknowledge the exclusiveness embodied in the last sentence. This forum is not for everyone, and not everyone is going to be happy here.

I'm happy with the most of the limits set long ago, and I agree with the sentiment that to change things now would mess it up.

For the record, the opinions expressed above are just that --opinions, and in NO WAY represent the this site's owner, or moderators, or any other member of the forum but myself.

Latest posts

Back