• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tiller belts?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller

displayname
Daniel M. Kelller Jr.
alot of stuff has been goin around about the use of A-144 or payin 70$ from IH but I have heard both that A-144 works great and also I have heard it don't work, so all in all I need all the tiller belts 'cuase I got 2 tillers and neither works, a 106 ande a 122, so could someone help me out?
Thanks
Dan

hmmmnn I guess no one wants to say if the a-144 gates belt works or not? well I guess I tried.

Daniel,
What ya gotta understand is! When no one answers, that means that we don't know, simple as that. Why give you an answer like - Go ahead and try and and see if it works and then have you pizz away your money if it doesn't.

Personally I would bite the bullet and buy a good IH/MTD belt, make sure your mule drive is setup right, put it on and forget it.
I've run the same IH belt for the last 4 years and it still looks new.

Course answers will vary from forum to forum and person to person.

BTW, Tiller belts are not $70.00 at any of the 50+ dealers I've been to. $53.00 was the highest and $38.60 was the cheapest.

(Message edited by Cproctor on June 07, 2006)

I have a A144 on a 1A tiller and a 147 Narrow Front. I have only used it for about 5 minutes. The belt is about 1 inch too long and that's even with my tiller gearbox mounted with studs. The studs move the gearbox back about 5/16. Other than that it worked fine for the 5 minutes I ran it.

well, I bought the a-144 and got a great deal,
15$ so I'm gonna try it.

I've used a 144" dayton belt from graingers on my tiller, with no issues, although i have only about 20 or so hours on it in 10 years...

well I put it on my 122 seemed ok, I think I got the wrong short belt, that tiller is a load on that tractor, broke my throttle cable. night

I hope this is not to late when I was running my 1450 then 782 with the 1A Tiller the guys at Hastings Int. told me to get a 403 Combine reel drive belt. 143 inches this was in the 80's. Tilled an average of 10 gardens a yr. plus helping put some small yards in.

That belt if I remember right was around $38.00 lasted over 6 yrs. and still going strong after I traded it.

Just my 2 cents.

Pops

Bcorn I,m looking to set up a 1a tiller on my 782 but am having trouble getting a belt to work the cub dealer gave me a 143" belt that was to short and the belt from IH is no longer available. Any chance you might know the size of the belt you used. I did a search and came up with this thread but it,s pretty dated. Thank you and by all means if anyone else would like to chime in I'm all ears(I mean eyes)

Stan W.-

Click here: http://cubfaq.com/belts4.html
143" is too short for even the older tractors, my guess is you need at least 145". Go back to your Cub Cadet dealer and ask for the long tiller belt for a 782 (give them your tractor serial number too) equipped with a 2B tiller. They should be able to get the correct belt if you give them that information.

Matt G: Those WM tiller belts listed in the belt/blade manual for the 2B tiller are NLA from both Cub Cadet and Woods. However Forum Sponsor Chris Westfall at Cub Cadet Classics can get you one that will fit and work....Just use the number listed in the manual.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Stan W: The serial number of your 782 and type hitch installed will be necessary to determine the correct tiller belt. You are correct, it isn't gonna be a 143 7/8.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Thanks for the replies, I did give them the serial number and I gave them the ih part # thanks to the cub cadet info page in cadet connection(one of the great sponsors up above) and was told it was nla to the best I can figure it's about 151-153 inches but I'm having trouble locating one through any supplier. Just for clarifacation it's an IH 782 with a sleeve type hitch(not cat0) and I'm using a 1a tiller

Stan: OK, You told us it was a 782. But since the are are two types (the IH CI type and the CCC Cast Aluminum type), I'll repeat: I cannot help you without you posting the serial number and hitch (if any). Also, Forum Sponsor Chris Westfall at Cub Cadet Classics has those belts available and is knowledgeable!!

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron B: Thank you for helping the serial#is 2050594u689009 and I'm using a cc sleeve hitch just like you find on a 149,1450ect.I took it off my 1450 befrore I traded it for an 882.

Stan W. The Belt/Blade guide shows that the 82 series above sn 665001 thru 719,999 uses the WM 63385 with all tillers. It's a 21/32 x 154 5/16. This belt is NLA from Cub Cadet and Woods Manufacturing. Chris Westfall as Cub Cadet Classics has an equivalent replacement belt available....Click on that pretty little ole box at the top of the page...

Just to show you how you have to watch terminology...The belt/blade guide says "Sleeve Hitch"..<u>w r o n g</u> It finally dawned on me that they are talking about the three point lift. I should have known better...it's impossible to attach a 1, 1A, 2, or 2B hook a tiller to a sleeve hitch and make it work....Aaaarrrrgh!!! Mea Culpa !

Myron B

Thank you again Myron I didn't want to confuse the issue by saying 3 point hitch thinking of cat 0. It looks like I can get a 153" b belt through graingers but I will check out the link you suggested aswell. Once again thank you.

Stan W: Chris Westfall, as well as other sponsors with pretty little boxes, has been a Cub Cadet guy here on the Forum looong before he opened Cub Cadet Classics. He knows Cub Cadets and will provide you with a belt designed for use on your Cub Cadet tiller. Grainger's on the other hand is just selling "stuff" and does not have a clue (not even a hint) about the correct belt belt for use on a Cub Cadet with Tiller.. All 153 inch belts are <u>NOT </u>the same. It's your money to blow...or spend wisely...

Myron B

I just got a 1A tiller for my Cub 149. The belt that came with the tiller is too wide to fit my PTO pulley. 149's take a 3/8" belt, does anyone know what length belt I need. The guy I bought this from used the tiller on a 1650. I thought they were 3/8" also. And did I read someone's post right that said you need a 3 point instead of a sleeve hitch for the tiller? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Nick

Nick H: 3/8 inch PTO belts were used only through CC serial number 400,000 for the 1 & 1A tillers.
For Cub Cadet Serial number 400,001 through 529811 the 1 & 1A PTO belt size is 13/32 x 143 7/8 inches, IH-549250-R1.

Some PO could have used an incorrect size. The #2 uses a 7/16" x 145 1/2 (which may be your problem). An early 2B uses a 21/32" (too long) and the 82 Series uses a 5/8" belt (also too long)

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Latest posts

Back