• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Spring Plowday 2007 Announcement

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a few pics

Be careful Chris, she likes cubs next time she might get ya for more than a hat. LOL
roflol.gif

55262.jpg

How come I can't get her to participate in things like that?
dunno.gif

55263.jpg

Hey, I was lookin at that.

55264.jpg

Hey Mike M.,
It kind of looks like Jim D. is waiting to see that 982TD at the next plow day. Make sure you have a new hitch on the rear, weighted down, and let's see what it does.

We needed "Boner" there with his "International". I wonder what color would have pulled farther then. But I will say that the cubs did pretty good against tractors that were some 10-20 years newer, with larger engines, and a lot heavier. If there would have been a scale and a weight limit of 1000 #'s, not many of the green ones would have been able to pull. But it was all in fun to see what you could do.

Well, I thought it was friendly rivalry ;-)

The pulling sled was just for fun. If that was mis-represented, I apoligize. Maybe the next host will want an official pull with scales and all.

Don, on Wed at 2:26PM I said we had 2" of snow. On Thurs morning Charlie said we had more. I also said if it was too wet to plow we'd still have a swap/BS session. When I drove out in the field it was Thurs evening and it firmed up because of the temp. That was an error on my part, and I apoligize, but no one said it was dry. We just said it was going to happen.

What soured me was when people showed up bitching about it after I took time off work, spent hours with Charlie organizing, etc so people could come to a free event. Please keep in mind that these decisions are very difficult to call, and are usually made in everyone's best interest. I know that I hope I am never in that position again!!

All in all it turned out well and I hope to attend many more in the future.

That's right Wes, slant the "rules" to favor the cubs....just like in the NQS.
I don't remember seeing any cubs pulling against the heavier tractors. Was that when all the cast iron was still on the ground?? Before they added it to the sled for the Big Deere?

JAMES - I'll bring Dad's old FARMALL M to the next PD and You can pull the sled against it with Your BIG DEERE. M hasn't been on a dyno in 45 yrs but probably still runs around 50 HP and weighs 6500-7000#. Just sounds like Your tractor is "All Souped-Up" with no classes to pull in.
rofl.gif

I'm really not liking what I'm seeing here guys!
irritated.gif

Ya know!
I'm like Travis, I thought the pull thing was for fun, but I guess we were wrong on that deal.
And I dang sure WON'T apologize for anything or ANYONE for having a great couple days.
What people don't understand is that anyone associated with or host a PD most generally looses money on the deal.
Course I didn't have anyone offer to help pay part of the cost for Cy and the gang to come down so YOU could play a little on the side.
We'll end this who won crap IF pulling ever happens again, I promise you that and it will be with a STOCK Cub Cadet if that's what your looking for, I can ablidge, not a problem, SNICKER!

And as far as the field conditions go, everyone plowed that wanted to didn't they!
Not one Cub Cadet guy bitched about the condition of the field to me anyway.

Ya know it's crap like this that flat ruins the event, even after the fact.

You want to whine! Go somewhere else and do it, I've seen enough here.

I'll be glad to give EVERYONE'S money back for the cost of entering the event if that's what your looking for.

It's hard to tell if this is friendly bantering or not, it does look like it's more then that. I would think it's OK to have the Cub Cadets are better then John Deere or John Deere are better then Cub Cadet discussions IF you include the little smile faces or some other indication of the attitude of your post. With only text and no facial expressions to discern the attitude like you get when talking face to face it's easy to over react to a comment. Back when I used to ride snowmobile it was always Arctic Cat (my favorite) vs Ski-Doo vs Polaris we kept it fun and civil but it was all face to face. I would have included Yamaha but we wouldn't let those guys ride with us.
lol.gif
OK do you all see the laughing smile face there? That was a hint that I was joking around with my Yamaha comment.
beerchug.gif

I enjoyed watching all the guys pull regardless of the brand. I was quite impressed with the performance of the John Deere tractors, and there is no argument that they outpulled the Cub Cadets. I can also see that they are bigger, heavier and newer, not an argument, it's a simple fact. Sure it could be done like the sanctioned pulls but I think with that some of the fun goes away, I prefer the "run what ya brung concept" but ya have to remember that the tractors are widely differing in HP, weight and multiple other factors have an effect on the performance.

Jim D., I am truly impressed with the quality of your tractors and plows they are very nice! That double bottom plow is fun to watch, I got some closeup shots with the video camera. Great stuff! (ummm, not the video, the equipment being operated IN the video)
thumbsup.gif

Charlie does that mean I can't pull my homemade tractor ?
whistling.gif

I'm sure the deere guys wouldn't mind pulling against a belt drive 16 horse Briggs.
yikes.gif

Satisfied Kraig ?

Kentuck,
That THING ain't run in years and that's somethin we ain't gonna worry about, LOL
Cause we all know yer to lazy to go get it runnin.
biggrin.gif

Well it just kinda died ! It went to long without anything to eat. After pushing that parked in gear , locked in 4x4 3/4 ton ford truck down the length of my driveway nobody else came around laughing at it anymore so it didn't get anything to eat up. RIP Monster ! Wish I had video of it dragging the Putt Putt JD 420C sideways 15 feet ... JD !
clappy.gif

Well, I can't just shut up and go hide and let this all slide now can I?
bubbly.gif

Kraig, you just made a friend here, whether you know it or not, but then I also know who you ride to the event with.
buttrock.gif

Charlie,
It's ok to be upset about the bitching, although I don't see it as that. I suppose you was as surprised by the snow on the field as we were.
dunno.gif

Good thing I had been watching the weather radar and making my own decision to come on out because I really had hopes that things would work out after seeing how it was last year.

As for the sled and pulling at a plow day, I really like the idea. But we need a few guide lines to keep it in check, so we don't all have to drag out our farm tractors.
thumbsup.gif

Something like, If it plows it can pull.

Sneaky Pete did a fine job of preparing the track and then starting out the sled on the light side so the smaller, lighter tractors could pull at the beginning, and then adding weight for the heavier tractors to keep it fun for all. Yes I said FUN! I would bet a dollar (I'm cheap) anyone who hooked had fun.
I think it would be a good idea to charge for each hook to help offset the cost of having the sled there.JMHO!

I'm not going to bed tonight till we all smile and shake hands!
thumbsup_old.gif

Not being there myself I have dont have first hand knowlage of how wet of dry the feild was, all I can go by is the photos I have seen posted here. After seeing the photos, and having grown up on a farm, I can tell you that from what I saw in the photos the ground was far to wet to be plowed.
HOLD ON, HOLD ON!!, heres how I back uo that statement, I have been taught that if you take a handful of soil and make a ball out if it and it does not crumble, the soil it to wet to plow.
HOWEVER,
Seeing that the feild was plowed and it was done useing GARDEN TRACTORS and not full size farm tractors is ALL THAT SHOULD MATTER.
These GARDEN TRACTORS where not made to go out and plow soybean/corn/wheat feilds, no, infact they where designed to work in the yard and garden, alown with other household chores.

As far as the pulling sled goes.
I would suggest a $1.00 a hook and limit the classes of pull to the HP rateing of the motor.
Any garden tractor regardless that is set up for strickly pulling would have to be limited to a class also.
That is how it has been done at a couple of OFF LAWN lawm/garden tractor pulls I have been to and every one has a fun time.

OH! and the reason I did not use any of the smillie faces is because it would not be the end of the world for me if there where no more plowdays.
Now if the forum was to disapear altogether I would be lost as I would not have a place to go and ask questions on how to repair my cubs.

Lonny - You better smile when you say that
wink.gif

Hope your back is getting better!

Someday I'll make it to a PD ... <font size="-2">someday!!</font>

thank you very much travis and charlie and others for hosting and planing this event!!! this was my 4th plow day i have been to. thanks again. chris

KENtucky
As long as the pain killers hold out I will be good for a while longer. I just hope my back is healed by then and defently healed by the time the next plowday event come around next month over at Colfax Wis.

Like Terri Clark says in her song,

I ain't ready to make up or get around to that
I think I'm right I think your wrong
I'll probably give in before long
Please don't make me smile
I just want to be mad for awhile

Jim-
Way to go pal, now you went and pissed off "Charlie the Owl".
55271.jpg

<font size="-2">Somebody needs to make that a clipart</font>

All-
Here's my take....
PD soil conditions: I drove 2.5hrs (which is short by comparison) to the PD site, and was somewhat disappointed when we arrived and the field was 50% snow covered. I thought for sure it was going to be a bust. My tractor didn't even have a plow hooked to it the first night. The next morning I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was plowing fine. Sure, it probably had more moisture than we all wanted, but given the situation, it was just fine. The bottom line here is that we have to trust the man who owns/lives on the land. He's the guy that knows that soil best. He's seen it in all conditions and knows it's limitations. Travis did a great job (or got really lucky) with his call. ;-)

That soil may be much darker than up here, but it's got very good drainage. By 11am on Saturday it was just fine and I didn't see anyone sitting on the sidelines or stuck in the furrow because it was too wet. Let's remember Travis didn't make it snow, and he never would have hauled us all down there if he didn't think it would fly. (Would you want 100+ pi$$ed-off guys with trailer-loads full of garden tractors in your backyard?)

It's been said once, and I'll say it again, THANKS Travis for taking the time to host this event. We all hope that you're willing to do it again because we do appreciate the work you do!
thumbsup.gif

Pulling Sled: The minute you decide to run pulling in seperate classes, you (we) really back ourselves into a corner. This event is all about plowing and having fun. The sled part was obviously not the "main attraction", so lets not make it that. I'm glad that Charlie and Travis took the time to set it up for us. If it's there again in the future, I may hook up to it just to see how my Plow Special does. (i.e. "Run what you brung")

Anybody (and I'm not just talking about Jim here) who is going to compare a JD 420/430 to a relatively stock <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet is not dealing with reality.

The JD 420/430's had a 1983 introduction. I don't think I saw even one 3000 series Cub Cadet at Travis' this year, so it's safe to say that everyone on a Cub Cadet out there in the field was running something that had been designed in the early 1960's. By the time JD came out with the 420/430's, <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> was long gone, and MTD was milking what they could out of the design. Hopefully JD learned something new in the 20+ years since the first <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadets had been introduced. Comparing a later JD Garden Tractor to an IH Cub Cadet is the equivilent to running a Farmall F-12 against a 1466! (...or a JD "G" and a 4020 if you prefer that flavor!)

If Jim D. or anyone else wants to hop-up a late-series JD and "spank" the sled for a full-pull, then let them, but don't come over to me talking trash when you beat me on my 500lb Original because I'm not going to be listening.

This "sport" has changed, mostly for the better, since it first began. That said, 5-7 years ago everyone was after a minty Original or a Round Fender 110. Now it's all about large-horse power and larger tires. Frankly, I could care less about that, to each their own, but don't dare try to drag me into your own "H.P. Machismo" because you want to show me up. Again, I won't be listening.

Jim-
You may have made a friend in Kraig (he's a like-able guy..) and yes, he did ride with us to PD, but don't think for a minute that you're going to sway his convictions. That's not how he rolls.....
buttrock.gif

Wahamoo! X2 You hit the nail on the head A. I personally have worked my **** off to get a broken trailer fixed, install a rear lift and fit it to a plow of which I've never used before with a tractor that has never pulled a plow. I personally could have cared less if any of it even made it off the trailer and that's after a nine hour drive. I came to meet friends I'd never seen, talk about stuff we all love and good lord willing teach the kids that there are still some sane people in this world that we havent met yet. Got all three in one shot.

I had a lot of problems with the snowy parts but <u>so what</u>, I'm new and expected to have problems. For those who like to pull a sled, kudo's, I don't.} There is even a couple Deere guys that put a lot of effort to see that my PD debute went well ( for those who run out of gas and have weak batteries like me). Charlie, Travis, Kurt and people we don't even know, put a lot of time and energy into this and I sure appreciate it! } If nothing else this has made me more determined to come back and support as many things of this site and our get togethers as much as possible. My hats off to all involved!
beerchug.gif

Wow....I'm glad I took the time to read the last two pages....VERY interesting....
I think I'll add my two cents worth....

Lonny B.
I'm sorry you could'nt make it cuz of injury but we had a GREAT time pokin fun at you when you were'nt there to defend yourself...
wedgie.gif

Everyone who showed up BEFORE the first furrow was open....

I know we were all hoping the field was drier BUT
It all worked out in the end....I was with Travis Thursday evening and he was hoping things were gonna work out and I gotta say I would not have wanted to be in his shoes and have to make the call on whether to cancel a Plow Day or roll the dice.....Steve B. has had to fight with this dilema as well, like last fall.....But everyone also has to remember It's easy to play arm-chair quarter back till your in the huddle..
shame.gif

Any how.. We Came, We Plowed, We Made Fun Of Lonny....
thumbsup_old.gif

And the best part was I got to Whiz in Charlies fuel tank......
groupwave.gif

Latest posts

Back