• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Manure spreaders

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
I am looking to buy a manure spreader for our property.

We have a 3 acre field that we grow hay in for our goats and chickens.

I plan on spreading horse manure from neighbor, manure and hay from our goats and chickens. So I am looking for some advice.

My only method currently to pull the spreader is my 149 or my pickup truck, so the unit must be a ground driven unit.

so I am looking at this small unit for my 149

http://www.horsestalls.com/manurespreaders.htm?gclid=CLzLnL79ha8CFYe8KgodC1JZAQ

or a larger pull behind to hook to my pickup.

The small one new is on sale for $995.00 and large used ones seem to range from $600 to $1200 plus picking up either near or far.

does anyone have any opinions/ideas/help
my budget is about $1000.00 or less

Jeff - Although pulling the small unit with your Cub would be great fun, I wonder if you'd be able to (safely) go fast enough to get the "fling" needed to spread the manure very well. I'd worry about "discovering" a hidden gopher hole (or pocket gopher mound) or even a baseball sized rock with the 149 moving as fast as you may need to travel for proper spread. I think pulling either size with a pickup, or even an ATV, would give a little more stability. That's my $.02 worth.

In the video at the site you linked to, they are using maybe 2nd gear... looks like it works well and it's on a special sale now.... 2 cents given.

JEFF - My $0.02 worth is to buy the new smaller spreader you posted the link to. For only 3 acres trying to pull a spreader with your pickup you'd find the p/u wouldn't turn as short as you'd need. And old small spreaders that are ground driven are probably close to being worn out. They may be cheaper but you'll soon find out the repair parts are either expensive or NLA.

Jeff, years ago my parents bought one of the 25 bushel versions in your link. My dad used it behind a Cub Cadet 2072 and it worked great. It's still at the farm but needs some repairs, mainly new tires and probably a new belt. It is one of the projects on my to do list that I didn't get to last summer, perhaps this year I'll get around to fixing it...
rolleyes.gif

Kraig, you say your parents have one, do you recall any problems?

I am real close to pulling the trigger on that one.

Jeff, I only used it a few times and that was a long time ago. Bummer I didn't fix it up last summer like I had planned to do, then I could give you a full review on it.
facepalm.gif
bash.gif
If you could hold off for a few months...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Well I bit the bullet today and ordered the spreader that I posted the link to.

delivery should be 5 to 6 business days.

I did save a few greens as I found the company had one on evil-pay for 862.00 so they gave me that price from the factory (their advertised price was 959.00) with 115.00 for shipping.

I will post pics and results soon

some action pics of the spreader

238186.jpg

238187.jpg

238188.jpg

I need a loader on a cub

238189.jpg

I hope so they have been building this same model since 1977
They told me they use to build them for northern tool supply but then NTS had some canadian co. copy them.

When I recieved it one of the side boards had a bad spot and they fedexed me a new one

Jeff. If does the job you want, and your happy, thats what counts. I think thier cool little set ups.

Tom, no up date on the question, I have only used it a hand full of times and so far no issue.

It is no where near a real spreader and it dose not do what a real one will do, but so far its ok.

I do plan on someday getting a
ihrotate.gif
tractor that can cut and bale and run a real speader, but that may be a ways off.

Jeff, BTW the Sandwich sgow is this weekend, they are featuring IH. I'll be there saturday. Have a IH club meeting and I will be vending more of my IH stuff.

Tom I so wish I could go, today is day number 8 of 13 in a row then 1 off and 12 more.

snap some pics for us

Back