• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Lets see all those off topic tractors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be Steve. There are hundreds of them there. Maybe Santa forgot to pick it up when he came through Baltimore.

First time that I've seen one of these.
50131.jpg

The Steam Show in Sycamore, IL used to have a Wards as a regular attendee. It has been a good 8 years since I have been to that show.

Grandpa told me that you used to be able to order that from a cataloge, along with houses and barns. The old days sure were neat and I love to hear stories about those times.

Ken:That picture is from a JD dealer about 3 miles from me.Strange to see it on here.It has been gone a couple years now.Looks a little tired in your picture.

Jim - it was dated in 99 on my disc but seems like I got it long b4 that.

Guess it has been more than a couple years,time flies.Don't tell anyone-I buy parts from there now and then.They think I'm trying to make my cubs green.

I think it's based off the old sears/roper tractors. Not a bad one tho I saw one up close a couple years ago and it seemed pretty good. I had a sears with almost same drive setup an it pulled real good with good belt. I out pulled my buddies 1000, I had a 16hp overhead valve tecumseh. If it weren't for the starter I'd still have it. Traded it in the summer for a new dewalt sawzall.

Steve T.-Sears sold those mail order houses also.
99% metal. One located across the street in Marshalltown from my brother. Also one here in a local town. Don't recall $$.
coffee.gif

Steve T,
That Wards tractor is sitting in the lobby of a building that used to be the East Coast warehouse/distribution center for Montgomery Wards in Baltimore

Lincoln was built by National Steel and Ship building (NASSCO) in San Diego, CA right after WWII when they lost the ship building contracts after the war. Due to some legal issue (unknown to me at this moment) they did not manufacture the Lincoln tractor under the NASSCO name but rather by the National Ironworks company name.
They started to manufacture tractors and stoves among other things to keep the company going and minimize layoffs. They copied the design for this tractor from another company back east (I do not know who at this moment but I was told that they did use the Salsbury engine) and hence why JKWidener noticed a difference in the engines (very keen eye). My understanding is that both of these tractors are almost completely identical. I want to research this some more.

The Lincoln had a Wisconsin AEH or AEN motor (the grey one in the picture) depending on what military surplus items they had in stock or could acquire. The paint on these motors was originally military green. The transmission in this grey prototype is a 1937 Chevy 3 speed 1 reverse transmission and the drive shaft has "Lincoln Patent Pending" stamped on it. It also has a direct link steering mechanism, very hard to steer.
The Crosley 3/1 transmission is what later went into production and the steering was a rack and pinion design (much better).

Another interesting bit of historical information that I was told is that the rear end on these tractors were left over waterproof hatch closing mechanical drive assemblies from the ships they built during WWII.
I find this stuff fascinating.

I hope this helps preserve a little more knowledge of our history and where, why, and how some of these machines were made.

This is the prototype that my dads sitting on
51421.jpg

And this is the one that went into production that my dad bought for $450
51422.jpg

51423.jpg

51424.jpg

51425.jpg

51426.jpg

51427.jpg

51428.jpg

51429.jpg

51430.jpg

51431.jpg

By the looks of that rear end, there might not be a differential in there (can't think why they'd need one on a hatch cover lifter) That'd be one reason why they'd be tough to steer... (ever tried to get a drag car with a spool to turn easy??)
swear.gif
(Light 'em up !!)

Great pictures and interesting story...

Looks like a standard worm gear box to me.

Anthony - can that "thing" be pushed when in netural ?

Kendell,
On the grey one the steering is either on or off. Its something you would have to experance if you ever drove it......Sorry to say but chances are you wount. That grey one was like a i said is a prototype so they built it to just get the basic idea so after they worked out the bugs they put it into production. That grey one is is the only known prototype that is around today out of 5

You know there is not really any info that you can find on that tractor. I cant find anything on the web about it so the saying is that the rear end was ment for the doors but noones 100% positive.

So to answer your question i do belive that there is a differential. The kid that sold it to us said that he fixed the shifting forks.....that was a total lie! So we couldent get it out of 1st so i had to pull it with the kubota and when i was pulling it the right side was going foward and the left was going backwards.

Ken,

Yeah that "thing" can be rolled when in netural!

I talked to a guy about this tractor and he said that it is "single handedly the most rare tractor you will ever find because it was made for about 8 or so years"

And i just looked at the manual and it is a differental ; )

It sure doesn't look like it has a diff. If you open up the side cover get me a pic or two of the inards ;) If it's spinning the wheels in opposite directions when you pulled it then it is a diff. You got yourself a nice little find there.
beerchug.gif
... whait a minute, you're to young for that ... don't see any kool aide
roflol.gif

Good work on the resto. There's a Mccormac (I know it's not spelled right) Deering sitting in a field ready to be developed. It's in really sad shape the engine is blown wide open, radiator ripped out, etc. Has a good set of weights on it tho, I'd like to just paint it up for a lawn ornament, but I got no way of draggin it 1000+ feet, on a state 4-lane highway, and no where to put it, oh well, to the scrappers I guess.

Steve:
That MTD actually started life as a DAYTON I believe. I have a Dayton made by Dayton Electric....Looks identical. Has 3pt hitch and PTO underneath...Later was sold to Grainger and then to MTD. The YARDMAN from the 90's is identical except it had a Kohler V-Twin where the original Dayton had a 16HP Briggs opposed twin. Have all the manuals and a PTO driven tiller for it. Has been refit with a Kohler M-18. Hydro looks larger than the Cub Hydro's.
Interesting tractor. Needs a dash housing and front grill...otherwise compete.

Can someone help my friend ?
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

While you are looking on the internet if you run into any specs on the hydraulic valves on a 6600 or 7700 series john deere combine let me know. We have a couple of those to rob parts off of. They would have valves to run the hydrostat , platform and unloading auger but i dont know how they are rated for gallons per minute since the pump isnt big enough for my needs. . a pretty knowlegeable John deere mechanic told dad the pump is 8 gpm but he said the valves "should work" with my 16 gpm pump. I really dont want to waste the time taking em off and blowing up good parts..<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Latest posts

Back