• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Lets see all those off topic tractors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kendell -- it's the <font color="0000ff">BLUE</font><font color="000000"> that hurts man !</font> and coming from Tom ... what's the world comin' to ???
... and I luv the home-built lawn mower , my kind of mower!

KENtucky, I expected you to post a photo of your old beast. Or do I have to post it for you?

Kraig the old beast is rotted down up beside the garage. I've sure needed it a few times too but don't have the want to's to drag it into the garage to fix it up. Now I've got the F-Cub sitting up there to keep it company along with the Payloader HA and 3 boats and my little S15.

OK, OK Ken I'm guilty.
shame.gif
But I got it for a reeeeeeeaaaalllllll good price. <font size="-2">(Plus you can't beat havin' FWD.)</font>

Tractor perticulars :
This was made up of what I had lying around. A 16 Briggs IC, driving a # 40 chain to a jack shaft
that has a 4" aluminum pulley that I cast over a keyed 1" shaft. When I pulled the aluminum off the shaft I had a "cast in" key for the pulley.
I put it back on the shaft and turned the 1" V on my old South Bend.
That is driven a 16" pulley on a '63 Chevy Bulldog trans. They pulley was put on the trans spline by using the clutch hub splines and welding to the pulley. The trans has the flanged output shaft hook up. I found a '52 one ton Ford "cross" joint that fit right to the trans, all I had to do was put on the u-bolts. I cut a '77 Pontiac Sunbird rear to 36".
Welded the axles together with a Cirtanium rod. (can't get anymore of them) The Ford "cross" laid right in the Pontiac yoke and the u-bolts went right in. (try getting that lucky) I took the pump out of a 2 ton bottle jack and brazed a hydraulic fitting into it and added a hose. I WAS running an air over hydraulic pump on it using a GM A/C compressor as the air source with a storage tank and pressure switch to kick on/off the electric clutch pulley. Now I am using a hand porta-power pump. The steering box WAS a '47 Chevy but it has been replaced with an unknown box. The 15" rear wheels are David Bradley rims with Vega bolt patterns welded in. I pulled two turning plows with it and had a tiller made for it but I was using the tiller one night and hit a big rock. On my return trip I seen one of the tiller shafts lying in the dirt. Now , since I have moved from the farm I use this to move things around at my welding shop. I bought a JD 420 C dozier and had it sat to the side of my shop.
When it came time to put it inside I hooked this little tractor to it with an added 300 pound of weight on the front past the axle. I hooked to the rear side of the dozier and pulled it about 2 feet, then went to the front side and pulled it about 2 feet. I "walked" it like this until I got it moved the 10 feet that it need to go sideways to get over to the front of the shop. When the tracks would dig in and try to stop the tractor, if the tractor got a good bite it would either stand the front up and howl at the sky or it would sit and dig two holes with the tires.
It took awhile to move it. The dozier weighed 3 ton according to the book I had on it.

ya left out this pic -
47130.jpg

Ken - your comment about certanium rod made me curious (I'm a non-pro welder of about 40 years...). I Googled "certanium rod" and got a number of hits. I'm not sure if it's the same stuff you used, but a company by the name of "Cronatron Welding" lists various part numbers for rods.
That tractor would always have a home, if it lived at my place. Do dogs bark at it? Pretty good idea too - instead of putting all the spare parts on a shelf, you glued em all together so nothing would get lost !
lazerburn.gif

I forgot to add in the "listing" that it is geared down at the wheels in bulldog at 196:1 from the crank. I also forgot to proof read for spelling errors !

Kendell- Dawgs don't bark at it but it has got a few laughs at first glance followed by aw at second look. One guy pulled up to the garage door once in his 3/4 ton 4x4 ford, came inside and as luck would have it I had the little monster sitting backed in. He looked it over and started laughing at it. I got p'd off and told him to lock in his hubs, put it in 1st gear 4x4 and steer it (engine off). He sat there with his jaw dropped when I put the blade up against his bumper and pushed his truck out to the road with his wheels back spinning from being pushed.

The second best time was a few years ago when a storm blew down a big oak tree out the road. I heard it hit the pavement so I jumped in my truck with a chain saw and got there to cut it up. I cut a few minutes and here came some county road workers with saws. I told them I'd go get my tractor and pull it home if they'd cut off the limbs and stump. I went back down the road bee boppin bouncing up and down in high gear (one axle isn't welded on center) and when I got stopped they were laughing their as* off. I backed around and threw them a chain and told'em to hook it up. I hit 3rd gear going home , unhooked and went back to get some of the big limbs. When I got back ... "You want to sell that little thing?"

I used that little thing 14 years then just parked it. I've shredded 2 or 3 1" belts and had to buy 2 new rear tires + the expense of the 2 ton bottle jack and hydraulic hose and that's all the cash I had to spend in it's construction /14 years use. I guess the engine is about ruined now sitting in the weather.

I wish I'd took pictures of the Minniapolis Moline I built with a Vega engine ! Talk about a tire smoker on pavement !!

charlie dose your g 10 have a 10 hp wisconsin in it and do u no how to change a valve stem

Andrew,
Yepper on the Wisconsin.
On changing valve stems, I just cut them off the wheel from the outside and pull a new one in, just like any other stem replacement.
I have seen some Bolens and a few Case GT's that had the threaded stems that were held on with a nut though.

thanks for answering my other quistion just one more to ask how dose the tractor do pushing/ pulling

Andrew,
I've owned quite a few tractors in my day and I'll have to say it's one of the best all around tractors made. You can't tear the ugly things up, no matter what you do to'um!
biggrin.gif

Charlie -- how come then I've had 1 Bolens and seen another and they BOTH had the trans gears busted ?

Ken,
That has to be the Redneckyest tractor I ever did see.
thumbsup_old.gif

It's neat to see junk turned into usefull equiptment. Hmm... I better go have a look at the auto dismantlers.

charlie do you no of any other bolens tractor models that come with a 10 hp wisconsion becuse im getting one for free next week and im trying to find info on it before it comes

Digger - thanks for the Bolens link (geez, I think that's about ten Yahoo groups now).. We've got a little Bolens at our cabin - - inherited from my FIL.. I'm trying to identify it from the Sonny's Bolens site (funny thing - we go to Portland IN every summer for Vintage Motorbike show, I'll have to look Sonny's business up). The Husky came with a deck, blade and thrower, but I can't seem to find it, as it was a vertical shaft, pull start Briggs and all the ones they show are vorizontal shaft. It may be a 700 series.. I'm looking for some old pics we should have around. Anyway, thanks for posting that link.
wave.gif

"Vorizontal" ... = 45 degree ?? I musta been typing faster than thinking...

Latest posts

Back