• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Finally doing a 100!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,

Your compressor is larger than mine.
aaaa_tongue2.gif
lol.gif

A few more parts sandblasted and primed.
I am running out of parts to blast.
Hope to sling some paint next weekend, weather permitting.

313940.jpg

Timothy, I'll answer for Marty using his words, I changed the pertinent info into bold text:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Marty A. Gwin (Mgwin) on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

I guess I should give some tips as I progress.

I like to sandblast almost everything down to the bare metal. This gives you a nice smooth surface to start with.
The reason I say almost everything is because some things don't like sandblasting.
Example: Don't sandblast your starter/generator, that wouldn't be a good idea!
err.gif

I wear disposable rubber/latex gloves through the entire process (blasting, priming, and painting)to keep the oil in my skin from getting on the parts.

Also, be very careful on the tranny. Mask off any holes, seals, or cracks (gear stick). You wouldn't want any media to get inside.

Before priming, blow off the dust with an air hose and wipe the parts off with a tack cloth. This removes the dust so the primer can absorb into the metal.
For the cast iron parts, use a thick, clean stiff brush instead of a tack cloth. The cloth will leave "cloth fuzz" all over the cast iron.

As far as priming, I like to use Rustoleum automotive primer (grey, not red). It goes on good, and you don't have to pull out all the paint equipment.

Give the primer at least 24 hours to cure before sanding off any runs.
Sand all parts before painting to aid in adhesion.

After sanding, use a tack cloth to remove the dust. Now you are ready to paint.
More tips to follow.
ihrotate.gif
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Kraig,

You took the words right out of my mouth!
lol.gif

Tim,

I used a small angle grinder with a wire brush, a drill with a wire brush, a handheld wire brush, a pocket knife, and some sand paper!
err.gif

Marty, you and David are both making great progress! Gotta love fresh shiny yellow paint.
happy.gif

Marty G. How come the yellow paint always looks darker in the can and then lightens up once applied to the parts?
biggrin.gif
You're making me want to get some paint applied. p.s. You're making great progress.

Marlin,

Uh.... dunno, maybe it's the lighting.
The camera has some to do with it.

Look at the frame pic on my trailer outside, and then the dash tower pic in my basement. The frame looks orange, and the tower yellow.
I know flash, and non flash pics are very different.

Finally, after about a month, I got a day without it raining.
However, it is supposed to start in a few minutes!

Anyway, I got to sling some yellow!

315048.jpg

How many coats of paint do normally spray and how long in between coats?

Tim,

Start in one spot ( I usually start on the bottom) and work your way to the other end going all the way around with a thin "tack coating."

By the time you go all over it, the starting spot will be fine to paint again.
If you are painting small pieces, go over each one with one coat, and then you will be able to go back to the first one you started on again.

I then go back to the starting spot and put another thin coat on.
Keep putting the thin coats on until you get the desired look.

I like to keep putting coats on until it looks real shiny and thick.
I am definitely no professional, but this works real well for me.

Rolled it in the basement today.

315062.jpg

315063.jpg

How about some more yellow.
Painted some more parts so I can start putting it back together.

Assembled the clutch for painting and taped up the fiber disc so it wouldn't get any paint on it.

315334.jpg

And some white too.
For some reason the white seemed to go on better than the yellow.
I don't think I had a single run with the white!

315335.jpg

315336.jpg

Always doing a few extra parts. Can't seem to quit doing that.

Put some skin on today.

315402.jpg

315403.jpg

When mounting tires, put some ArmorAll on the lip of the rim and tire.
It will go on much much easier.

You can almost get the tire on without any help from a "pry tool."
Notice I said "almost"!
err.gif

Latest posts

Back