• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet 100 Rear Axle Endfloat

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the wheels off of my newly acquired Cub Cadet 100 restoration project to start disassembly and I noticed that the rear axle shafts had considerable endfloat and can be pulled in and out. The left side axle was also dirtier that the right, leading me to believe the oil seal is shot. Is this a major issue, and what can I do to rectify it? Looks like the oil seals are NLA and not sure if new needle bearings would help endfloat.

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Define "considerable." By design there is axial play, maybe 0.080" or so.

A 100 should have bronze plain bearings, not needle bearings. The seals are not NLA. I'd replace both the sleeve bearings and the axle seals and make sure the axle shafts are not worn.

While my measurement isn’t exact (I haven’t bought a dial indicator gauge or micrometer yet), the left side hub moves 1/16th of an inch and the right side hub moves about half of that (1/32nd of an inch). I managed to get new seals from IHCCW, but Parts Tree and Cub Cadet don’t have them available according to their websites. Parts tree shows a needle bearing as part of the rear axle assembly, along with a bushing and snap rings:
https://www.partstree.com/models/100-cub-cadet-garden-tractor/rear-axle-22/

Latest posts

Back