Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I can't afford one as deluxe as the one Marlin offered and my cat's don't have any squeak toys to share. I could probably afford a tool box like this one, not including the tools of course.
happy.gif

297981.jpg

Thanks for the smiles guys!

I fear the cost of shipping would be.. um.. prohibitive!
err.gif

and Meow Meow has enough toys..

Seems I'm remiss in updating.. just a bit of progress.

I did manage to get the pulley off finally. Wih enough heat I got the pulley up enough to get behind it, so I knocked 3 1/4" holes in and used a steering wheel puller to drag it the rest of the way off. It won't be seen and didn't get damaged so I'm happy about that.

Took on a money job so the 169 is waiting again.

Hi Kraig. the only thing going on right now is we've sold the house and am packing to move! So the 169 is on hold.

We're going to lease a house back at the family farm so I'll be real close to the shop. Of course we're sanding and painting non-stop right now.. and there goes the fun money for my parts!!

Thanks for asking though! I'll get back on it as soon as I can. Maybe share some pics of the new homestead as well.

Today is the final day in the old house and since the new house doesn't yet have any communication wires.. there won't be any updates. I can try and check in from work.. but they frown on that sort of thing.. But I'll get back when I can!

We'll miss you Mike while you're "off the grid"! Hopefully you can get plugged back in soon. Good luck on your move!

Mike, I second Joshua's comments! Best wishes with the move.

Snuck in during work.. we are supposed to get the internet back on wednesday.. we'll see.

Been busier than a one armed paper hanger! I'll have to catch up with you all later.

Mike

Hi Kraig, and everyone else. Got the internet (finally) so if I can keep the wife off it.. I'll get some time to spend with ya'll..

Not sure how fast the 169 will move forward.. but I'll keep trying to work on it in between all the new honey-do's..
biggrin.gif

Hey Guys, made some time yesterday and opened up the 169's block. The parts looked good but I haven't measured them up yet. The balance gears are definately wiped and I'll toss those and use Mr. Kirks system for balance.

More Later I hope!

Made some time (while the wife is vacationing in New Mexico) to work with the K341 some more.

Had to get the cam and govenor out but the camshaft pin just didn't want to budge. Most of my punches would just bounce off. The punches just seemed to small, so I spun a piece of 5/8" round stock to .480 for about 3 inches (just enough to slide through the camshaft pin bore ) and with a large ball pein hammer - had it loose in 2 swings!

So I got the cam out, with the shaft and spacers and then the govenor followed.

I'll start cleanup of the block and then measure the bore and piston to determine wear next. Maybe I'll remember to bring the camera along so I can share some pics.

Got the motor torn down completely, the cylinder measures up perfect, the piston tho' is at the minimum wear measurement at the bottom.. the top is almost perfect... OH well.. time for all new I guess.

Mike F - well it's about time there was some activity on this thread. I assume you've got the stove all stoked up in your shed. Things really need to be pretty warm when you're working on a 169.
cubwinker.gif

"Mike F - well it's about time there was some activity on this thread."

You know what's funny Harry??? I've been typing into this thread for maybe a year, and I don't think you've ever replied at all in here! roflmao!
beerchug.gif

Temps have been in the 50's now dipping into the 40's. So we filled the oil tanks and I should be ready.

I'm waiting for parts to arrive and have started washing the block and parts.. then the fun begins!

Don't be a stranger.

Mike F - I just looked back and May 15, 2015 ain't a year ago. It's only 6 MONTHS!!!!! And even then you snuck it into this thread - it really wasn't yours to begin with - you just jumped in and took it over!!!!! AND THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T SEE IT!!!!
You're lucky I just happen to notice your name as having posted to the thread or you likely would have been ALL DONE with your "basic refurb" before I even had a chance to say anything.
And you know - 1st things 1st - WHERE ARE THE PICS??? All this stuff about tool boxes and measurements just don't tell us awhole lot without some pics. Come'on now - don't be so stingy with the photos. And you said you're waiting for parts to arrive - I hope they ain't comin' from China - that boat don't get here till Spring. What exactly ya got comin? And whose being a stranger? I'm waiting for you to drop by my place anytime.
biggrin.gif

Well.. I guess you got me on a couple of points there... I did (sort of) revive this old thread..

Parts? some from sponsers, some from my local shop. Pics? yeah, I gotta work on that. LOL..

Mike F.,
Let me know if you need help with that K341. I put Harry's together 14 or so years ago and I think she still purrs!

Hi Kenny! Let me know when you ready.. I've been working to many hours and haven't made time for the 169. I did begin the install of Mr. Kirks re-balance "kit". I wanted to get some pictures of the step by step in case others might be interested.

Latest posts

Back